Middle Brother!

Started by wolof7, Jan 09, 2011, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 01, 2011, 03:50 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 01, 2011, 03:38 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 01, 2011, 03:28 PM
Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 01, 2011, 12:48 PM
ps color me clueless but I didn't realize Blood and Guts is an old Dawes song.   It's a highlight for me on the Middle Brother record.

me neither (and me too..)
U sure about that Kyle?

pretty sure, yeah - but only based on today's research.   I had no idea.

If you listen to the NFF archive I posted above - start at 21:58 and listen to the intro- sounds like Matt V saying "first heard this song when touring w/ these guys 6 years ago and it's still one of my favorite Dawes songs".

Or see this live youtube - that's 2007....
Simon Dawes-Blood And Guts
Aahhh, I see.  I have none of their material from when they were Simon Dawes.  Must get Carnivore now
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

ok seriously, middle brother and the gangs other bands are the best combo since yim, M,  and connor! shit!
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mahg33ta

headhunter

Quote from: e_wind on Aug 29, 2011, 12:28 AM
ok seriously, middle brother and the gangs other bands are the best combo since yim, M,  and connor! shit!

Agreed!  This remains my pick for album of the year.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

ironmike

Middle brother would be a lot better if the dude from dawes wasn't in it

ophidiophobia

Quote from: ironmike on Aug 30, 2011, 06:11 PM
I may get burnt for the following, but I'd rather have the singer from Dawes than the singer from Deer Tick. I'm not a fan of his voice; I liked the album before Born on the 4th of July, I think it's Elephant Day? I think the Million Dollar Bill song is tons better on the new Dawes compared to the Middle Brother album. I think the guy from Dawes has a more melodic voice, but the guy from Deer Tick has a more original voice.

Ruckus

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Aug 30, 2011, 10:27 PM
I may get burnt for the following, but I'd rather have the singer from Dawes than the singer from Deer Tick. I'm not a fan of his voice; I liked the album before Born on the 4th of July, I think it's Elephant Day? I think the Million Dollar Bill song is tons better on the new Dawes compared to the Middle Brother album. I think the guy from Dawes has a more melodic voice, but the guy from Deer Tick has a more original voice.
You won't get burnt for your opinion man.  However, I expect better from a learned Stillwater man concerning the names of the albums you cite. ;)

ironmike

Your opinion is your opinion...but I am sorry sir you ar terribly mistaken

chaqueta sucia

Not a bad statement.  I actually agree 100%.  I feel Deer Tick and Delta Spirit's frontmen are much much stronger and kind of hang Gouldsmith out to dry a little skill wise.  I will however say they are different voices and that what is needed when bringing three together like this.  I just wonder the possibilities of who it would be if it wasn't Gouldsmith?  I have always been a huge Vasquez fan myself.

bold992006

I think Middle Brother works because you have all 3 of them....McCauley is easily my favorite...I think he has the best voice in music right now..Vasquez is a showman...but I also love the Dawes album too.  They all bring something to the table.  Seeing them live is where it is at though..unfortunately they might be done for a long long time.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 31, 2011, 12:48 AM
Quote from: ophidiophobia on Aug 30, 2011, 10:27 PM
You won't get burnt for your opinion man.  However, I expect better from a learned Stillwater man concerning the names of the albums you cite. ;)

i love his voice but my roommate feels the same way...EVERY TIME i am playing Deer Tick she stops and says 'who is that again?' i tell her and say 'why do you like it?" she says 'not his voice'...it's like a skit we re-enact now...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

e_wind

Quote from: bold992006 on Aug 31, 2011, 10:05 AM
unfortunately they might be done for a long long time.

i missed out on any of these bands until I saw Delta Spirit recently, so I hope this isnt true. I wanna see Middle Brother...

Oh and Dawes may be the least of the three, but they're all great

bold992006

Quote from: e_wind on Aug 31, 2011, 10:40 AM

i missed out on any of these bands until I saw Delta Spirit recently, so I hope this isnt true. I wanna see Middle Brother...

I don't see them playing for a long time.  All Three bands are going off and doing their own thing for a while...new records.  I think McCauley even said in Newport that this was it.  I'm glad I got to see them there...twice in one day.

Also Taylor is prob the best guitar player so he brings that to their live show...and I think he's a pretty great singer too.

Ruckus

Quote from: bold992006 on Aug 31, 2011, 02:24 PM

I don't see them playing for a long time.  All Three bands are going off and doing their own thing for a while...new records.  I think McCauley even said in Newport that this was it.  I'm glad I got to see them there...twice in one day.

Also Taylor is prob the best guitar player so he brings that to their live show...and I think he's a pretty great singer too.
Having seen the Tick 5x, DS 1x, Dawes 2x and Middle Brother 1x, I'll take any of the band's shos over a Middle Brother show anyday, especially a Tick set.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 31, 2011, 02:38 PM

Having seen the Tick 5x, DS 1x, Dawes 2x and Middle Brother 1x, I'll take any of the band's shos over a Middle Brother show anyday, especially a Tick set.

Agreed. Love the album, though...it's just very mellow...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold992006

I saw Dawes, Middle Bro and Deer Tick all in the same night....I loved them all.  Deer Tick's set was great...but the Middle Brother set was so much fun...and I liked it a lot more than the Dawes set.  The Middle Brother set at folk fest was one of my favorite sets all weekend.   Plus they had Corndawg with them for both sets that day.  I'd take Deer Tick first but Middle Brother a close second.

bold992006

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 31, 2011, 03:08 PM

Agreed. Love the album, though...it's just very mellow...

It is not mellow when you see it live....they basically turned their set into a punk show...Vasquez was all over the place...jumping into the crowd...it was incredible...as much as I love M. Ward his set was a downer after they played.

e_wind

I think Vasquez may be my new man crush. Move over Paul rudd

bold992006

Quote from: e_wind on Aug 31, 2011, 06:20 PM

seriously...the dude is a stud.  There is a great picture of him from the Folk Fest Middle Brother set literally flying in the air jumping off the stage into the crowd...they called it Air Vasquez....he was an animal on stage later that night for the bar sets too.

e_wind

Quote from: bold992006 on Sep 01, 2011, 09:34 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Aug 31, 2011, 06:20 PM

seriously...the dude is a stud.  There is a great picture of him from the Folk Fest Middle Brother set literally flying in the air jumping off the stage into the crowd...they called it Air Vasquez....he was an animal on stage later that night for the bar sets too.

The way he sings "the way we kissed that night I thought you knew!" makes my love strong and my heart weak