Rolling Stones 2012?

Started by ChiefOKONO, Nov 29, 2011, 07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

Fully

As exciting as it will be to go see them, I really wish I had a time machine and could travel back to 1972 and see their STP tour. Dream on...

Shug

Quote from: Fully on Nov 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
As exciting as it will be to go see them, I really wish I had a time machine and could travel back to 1972 and see their STP tour. Dream on...

Dude, you know it!  That'd probably be my number one time travel destination, too.  Dial on 1972 on the way-back machine and go see The Stones, Led Zepp, Black Sabbath, Humble Pie, The Faces, Pink Floyd, etc.  Stones and Zepp would def. be a priority.

I know its a longshot, but the most exciting thing to me about the possibility of Stones shows in 2012 is Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman being publicaly invited by Keith to participate in the jam sessions in England next month that he is setting up with Ronnie and Charlie.  If Mick Taylor and Wyman were in the band, there is no way I'd miss this tour.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

JaneCool

Can't fucking wait myself! It is going to happen - and Wyman and Taylor were just in London with the rest of the boys so we'll see what sort of a reunion this pans out to be - no matter what, I'll be there with bells on!!!
So, I do believe.....

Shug

The Stones were on fire last night!  It was far better than I was expecting and seemed to me better than the times I've seen them throughout the 90s.  I thought Ronnie was particularly hot with his solos, probably better than I've ever heard him.  I love how he makes his Tele sound like a pedal steel without using a slide, how does he do that?  Such a great country rock twang, as much of a Mick Taylor fan as I am, Ronnie really did justice to Mick's parts on Dead Flowers, Happy, Tumblin' Dice, etc.

But when Taylor came out, holy shit, taking it to another level!  I guess he got over his shyness from way back then, he was stepping out and leading the band with seemingly no uncertainty.  He made Midnight Rambler blaze.  What I would not have given to have him sit in for the rest of the show, now that would've be amazing.

Guests:  umm, Lady Gaga?  Yeah it was kinda bad, but whatever, she went for it all out and what better to do when you are sitting in with The Stones?  Bruce looked like it was the best night of his life.  Now there is a dude who actually deserves a sit in as a kind of lifetime achievement in rock 'n' roll award.  Black Keys were cool, I loved how the band made the guests welcome, it must be a little intimidating sitting in with the Stones.  Gary Clark Jr. sounded good and John Mayer didn't make a fool of himself, so all in all pretty good.

I loved seeing Keef emotional with the love he received.  It looked genuine and sincerely grateful to me.

I think with the Stones, its a real precarious set of circumstances or a real thin dividing line that can make their performances either amazing or kinda flat.  The songs are simple and basic, more about riffs and rhythms, so it really has to cook to be good.  But when they do get cooking, locked in and hitting the grooves hard, they seem like a freight train.  It can take them a while to get warmed up, but when they do, its pretty unstoppable.  A lot of similarities to the Dead there, I think.  That was a stunningly good performance for a band who are a bunch of 70 year old men!  How fucking great to have the Stones proving it still, there is a reason they are called the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band.  Its inspiring and awesome to me to see them doing what Count Basie, Duke Ellington and all those jazz dudes did, playing until they physically cannot do it anymore.  God bless the Rolling Stones!

oistheone

Not sure if it was worth it to start another thread for the "50 & Counting" tour so I just thought I'd use this one.

Anyone else going to one of the recently announced shows? I impulsively just plunked down almost $600 for a couple upper bowl seats to their first Toronto show. I mean, they're third row, so that's kinda sweet. But it's still the upper bowl of an arena, for over $500. I wouldn't say I feel gouged, I just feel a little... wait, I guess I feel gouged.

But goddamn, it's the Stones! At the start of the summer! In my town! How am I gonna pass that up?!

ericm

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 06, 2013, 11:05 PM
Not sure if it was worth it to start another thread for the "50 & Counting" tour so I just thought I'd use this one.

Anyone else going to one of the recently announced shows? I impulsively just plunked down almost $600 for a couple upper bowl seats to their first Toronto show. I mean, they're third row, so that's kinda sweet. But it's still the upper bowl of an arena, for over $500. I wouldn't say I feel gouged, I just feel a little... wait, I guess I feel gouged.

But goddamn, it's the Stones! At the start of the summer! In my town! How am I gonna pass that up?!

I was at that Newark show in December that Shug was commenting on above, and it was a GREAT show. I got one of the upper bowl "cheap" seats  for  $180 and left there  thinking I'd have no problem plunking down a few more $ on the next leg to be closer. It was that great of a show. Even at that price I had no regrets, and would go again, and hope to in Philly.

The upper bowl is fine as their stage, and sound are first rate. They had the whole house rocking! It sounds like your seats will be better than mine were, so I'm sure you'll have a blast.
"Where's Jim going?"

Shug

"Sway" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" are promising signs that Mick Taylor will play on more than just "Midnight Rambler" this time (as opposed to in 2012). It has been confirmed that he will tour with the band, but it remains unclear just how many songs he will play. He began rehearsing with the band in Los Angeles on 24th April. He reportedly played on songs including 'Sway', 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', 'Love In Vain', 'Midnight Rambler' and possibly more.

http://rollingtimes.org/news/Rolling-Stones-rehearsing-in-Los-Angeles-1063/

I am getting more and more pumped for this tour!!

justbcuzido

Quote from: Shug on Apr 25, 2013, 11:16 AM
"Sway" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" are promising signs that Mick Taylor will play on more than just "Midnight Rambler" this time (as opposed to in 2012). It has been confirmed that he will tour with the band, but it remains unclear just how many songs he will play. He began rehearsing with the band in Los Angeles on 24th April. He reportedly played on songs including 'Sway', 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', 'Love In Vain', 'Midnight Rambler' and possibly more.

http://rollingtimes.org/news/Rolling-Stones-rehearsing-in-Los-Angeles-1063/

I am getting more and more pumped for this tour!!

Thanks for the article. That has me really pumped. If I can get either "No Expectations" or "Love in Vain" at the Chicago show, I would lose my mind. I always thought MMJ would do an amazing cover of "No Expectations", especially with Carl playing slide on it.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

oistheone

Thanks so much for posting that article! Reaching previously unheard of levels of excitement.

I hope they actually sprinkle in some of these nuggets throughout the tour and aren't just rehearsing them to brush off the dust, so to speak. I think A LOT of people would enjoy rocking out to "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" with Mick on lead!

ericm

"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

The Stones have added Washington D.C. On June 24th to the tour,and it will be the last show of the tour.
"Where's Jim going?"

Shug

I'm trying to avoid seeing any setlists for this tour until I see the show on May 18th.  That's pretty damn difficult in the information age.  I'm avoiding Facebook altogether until then, otherwise my quest to be somewhat surprised by the setlist would be sunk.

walterfredo

I'm going tomorrow and am so fired up! Finally getting to see the stones. I can't help myself with the setlist thing, I've been checking them. I'll make sure not post it in here though.

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on May 07, 2013, 12:06 PM
I'm going tomorrow and am so fired up! Finally getting to see the stones. I can't help myself with the setlist thing, I've been checking them. I'll make sure not post it in here though.

How was the show Walter? I heard some good things about the setlist, and curious about your take on the show as well as how the $85 ticket deal went. I hope you got lucky with your seats.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

Quote from: ericm on May 09, 2013, 12:13 PM

How was the show Walter? I heard some good things about the setlist, and curious about your take on the show as well as how the $85 ticket deal went. I hope you got lucky with your seats.  :beer:

Won't post the setlist because I know Shug is trying to avoid reading them, they can be seen on the rolling stones website.  As for our $85 tickets.....score!  Couldn't believe what was happening to us when they randomly pulled my wife and I aside and a guy came over to talk to us and says..."you having a good day?"  I say I'm having a great day. He replies..."well it's about to get even better, how would you like to be in the Tongue Pit".  Can't even describe what an amazing experience it was being in the pit, having Mic and Keif literally walking around us, 5 feet in front of us.  The show rocked, we had tons of dancing room in the pit.  Guest appearances by John Fogerty and Bonnie Raitt.  I think the face value for pit tickets were $1K.  Best $85 I've ever spent.  Our two other groups of friends we were with were both in the 200 level top of the arena seats, but it seemed that those who tried to go down and poach better seats could.  I think I pretty much willed those pit tickets.  They may be old, but they still know how to put on a rock show.   

ericm

Fanfuckingtastic Walter! Glad to hear you scored big time. :thumbsup:

I saw the setlist, and totally dug what you got last night.  :beer:

How did the whole $85 ticket process go? Was it random as people are saying, and did you get those pits in an envelope at the window  or were you actually randomly pulled aside?

I was thinking of taking my lifelong best friend, but if they pulled you aside, it might increase my chances if I have a lovely young lady with me instead.  :wink: I'm sure Mick and  the boys would much rather have  some pretty ladies in the pit.

"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

Quote from: ericm on May 09, 2013, 07:12 PM
I was thinking of taking my lifelong best friend, but if they pulled you aside, it might increase my chances if I have a lovely young lady with me instead.

I think there is probably a bit of truth to this.  There was definitely no shortage of ladies in the Pit (and my wife was looking pretty good last night!) I'm sure that increased our chances. 

The way it went down was that you got into a specific will call line that was set up only for folks who had the $85 tickets.  There was a table set up with about 5 or 6 people processing the tickets, with one person with a master list of all the names.  They would just check your ID, cross your name of the master list and hand you a blank envelope from the pile that had 2 random tickets in it.  I was being fun and interactive with the girl who checked my ID, and told her how excited we were to be seeing the stones tonight, and made a comment about how I was feeling really lucky...hoping for some amazing seats.  She checked my ID, crossed my name off the list and asked me to step to the side for a moment, she kept my ID, and then went on with processing others.  Other people got handed envelopes and went in the venue, while we just stood there.  At this point I was starting to get pretty excited because this was the process that I had read online that happened to others that got pits at the previous shows.  After about 5 minutes some other guy got my ID from the girl at the desk, called my name and pulled us aside and handed us 2 pit tickets.  Our two other groups of friends each came about 10 minutes after, I called them and told them to be as nice as possible and act happy, but no such luck for them. 

oistheone

That is AMAZING! Congrats man, what an awesome story. I can only imagine how awesome it musta been seeing the Stones that close. Can't wait till this show rolls up north!