Yo Gabba Gabba!

Started by el_chode, Jan 29, 2012, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

I think the guys should be on this show. If you're not familiar with it, it's a show for kids that isn't about (a) bland multiculturalism or (b) sexualized preteens marketed for for little kids. It also features lots of awesome artists:

Datarock - Smile For The Camera (from Yo Gabba Gabba!)
the roots-lovely love my family
MGMT - Art is Everywhere
Flaming Lips - I Can Be a Frog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_Gabba_Gabba!

Let's all suggest a topic for the band to sing about for when they finally do.

I think they should do a song about how Bananas are good for you even if they are radioactive
I'm surrounded by assholes

johnnYYac

Well, you know, DJ Lance Rock owns at least one Omnichord!

Seriously, I've seen him with one in one of the episodes.  Looks like an OM-84, classic.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Jon T.

did you just have a kid or something, choder?  Me and DJ Lance Rock go way back (thanks to my kid) .  Definitely some great artists on this show and some pretty good guest hosts every once in a while.  Biz Markie has a segment "Biz's Beat of the Day" where he teaches kids how to beat box (seriously).  Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo) is a regular on there.  That show is all kinds of crazy.

el_chode

Quote from: Jon T. on Jan 29, 2012, 08:41 PM
did you just have a kid or something, choder?  Me and DJ Lance Rock go way back (thanks to my kid) .  Definitely some great artists on this show and some pretty good guest hosts every once in a while.  Biz Markie has a segment "Biz's Beat of the Day" where he teaches kids how to beat box (seriously).  Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo) is a regular on there.  That show is all kinds of crazy.

No, but my best friend from college was an animation major, and we used to over-analyze how to make a good show for kids. Our best conclusion was that the best shows for kids could be enjoyed by adults as well because it would work on a level that appeals to both and wouldn't make the adult a bad person for exposing a child to it, even if it had more "adult" elements. I mean on a certain level, Yo Gabba Gabba is a drug trip and nothing more. But so are many children's productions.

We noticed in college a lot of shows for kids were drug trips, bud bad ones - for kids on drugs. Nothing more than "hey look, something shiny". But then we looked at other shows like Dora and shit, and they were the equivalent of passive-aggressively yelling at children, preaching and whatnot. Then came spongebob, and it was refreshing, and then came Yo Gabba Gabba and it threw all that crap out the window. Let's just be goofy and entertain...and put real artists in front of kids, not "kids artists". We loved the premise.

It's sort of like what Pete & Pete did for me growing up and school house rock - it puts good culture at the finger tips of children, not pre-canned Disney Youth culture.
I'm surrounded by assholes

HIGH on SOUND

That's funny because just a couple weeks ago I sent Jim a tweet that read simply, "Yo Gabba Gabba!"

Jellyfish

The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

peafunk31

StaggerLee's son watches this show constantly. Having seen it myself a bunch, I can honestly say I don't trust this guy. He doesn't have working elbows & he's a drummer. It doesn't add up. I'm pretty sure Brobee eats children's souls

Homer no function beer well without.

joey_rogo

have you guys seen the one where they are driving down the highway, wearing their seatbelts, when the car spins and they lose their lucky sock?

dont worry, the sock was safe and sound, perched atop a pine tree.

sweatboard

Quote from: joey_rogo on Feb 01, 2012, 07:53 PM
have you guys seen the one where they are driving down the highway, wearing their seatbelts, when the car spins and they lose their lucky sock?

dont worry, the sock was safe and sound, perched atop a pine tree.

hahahahah
There's Still Time.........

iLikeBeer

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 29, 2012, 10:33 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Jan 29, 2012, 08:41 PM

No, but my best friend from college was an animation major, and we used to over-analyze how to make a good show for kids. Our best conclusion was that the best shows for kids could be enjoyed by adults as well because it would work on a level that appeals to both and wouldn't make the adult a bad person for exposing a child to it, even if it had more "adult" elements. I mean on a certain level, Yo Gabba Gabba is a drug trip and nothing more. But so are many children's productions.

We noticed in college a lot of shows for kids were drug trips, bud bad ones - for kids on drugs. Nothing more than "hey look, something shiny". But then we looked at other shows like Dora and shit, and they were the equivalent of passive-aggressively yelling at children, preaching and whatnot. Then came spongebob, and it was refreshing, and then came Yo Gabba Gabba and it threw all that crap out the window. Let's just be goofy and entertain...and put real artists in front of kids, not "kids artists". We loved the premise.

It's sort of like what Pete & Pete did for me growing up and school house rock - it puts good culture at the finger tips of children, not pre-canned Disney Youth culture.

My youngest daughter watched this show religously and I was digging it before I knew they had good bands do guest appearances on the show.  When I saw that they were bringing in cool bands, that was just a bonus!

Another of our family's favorites was Peep and the Big Wide World.

This is another example of a children's show that can be enjoyed by adults as well.

johnnYYac

Peep & the BWW rocks!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

megalicious

i hope mmj gets to be on sesame street one day. or yo gabba gabba. my nephews love ygg.

:)
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard