"Spring (Among the Living)" download?!?

Started by Woldie, Mar 29, 2015, 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyim

Quote from: TheDude on Mar 31, 2015, 02:21 AM
There is A LOT going on here, including what sounds like a Merrill Garbus cameo near the end.

I like it.

I heard that too and thought I was going crazy. Hell yes.

Fully

It doesn't sound like a solo song at all to me. It has a few elements that remind me of his solo album:the guitar solo at the end,  the synth. But this has the entire band's hand all over it. It makes me want to drive with my windows down*  home from work today.

*props to Chode for first describing it this way.

MusiKel Mama

Holy shit!!! I was just listening to this and these three doves were like fight-twirling, and then two broke away and went into this Top Gun flight pattern and disappeared over the crest of a building's roof. It's like they know...

vespachick

Quote from: MusiKel Mama on Mar 31, 2015, 10:52 AM
Holy shit!!! I was just listening to this and these three doves were like fight-twirling, and then two broke away and went into this Top Gun flight pattern and disappeared over the crest of a building's roof. It's like they know...

Talk to me Goose...
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Mr. White

Quote from: Fully on Mar 31, 2015, 10:46 AM
It doesn't sound like a solo song at all to me. It has a few elements that remind me of his solo album:the guitar solo at the end,  the synth. But this has the entire band's hand all over it. It makes me want to drive with my windows down*  home from work today.

*props to Chode for first describing it this way.

I picked up on that guitar "fuzz-tone" sound that is a bit like Jim's solo album (and like his work with The New Basement Tapes), but it is for sure a full band experience. I'm starting to get into the groove as well. Also, when I first saw this thread a couple of hours ago, the views were in the 400's. Now, it's up to 1,366 and moving fast!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

SplatSplatSplat

I guess I'm in the minority here. That said, I'm liking it the more I listen so here's hoping it grows on me.
You need it.  That's for sure.

bhyman

Love at first listen for me!

It's much better than Big Decisions for my taste. There is no bad MMj song, but there are some that just grab me and fill me with light. So stoked for the album now.

BigHerm

Will be an awesome opener. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericm

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here. That said, I'm liking it the more I listen so here's hoping it grows on me.

I'm with you. I definitely like it more than Big Decisions, and hope it'll grow on me too. Looking forward to seeing it live though. I think that'll be the deciding factor for me with this one.
"Where's Jim going?"

Come Closer

Yeah I'm kinda meh about this so far.

Stevie

This is a really crazy song.. that's the best way i can sum it up. 

I could go on about the positives and negatives that i'm feeling about various parts of the song but i'm just going to take it as it is, as a whole and say that i do like it very much. 

One thing i will say, I REALLY hope that they don't just play a prerecorded version of Jim howling at the beginning and end when they play this song live ala The Day is Coming with the "Da Da Das."  I just get the feeling after listening to it again that this could be possible.. and i also get the feeling that this may be a song that ends up being very hard on Jim's voice.  They clearly plan to play it live or they wouldn't promote it like this (i don't think).   So i guess we'll see.

But overall, i think it's a great song (sounds kind of like Radiohead at times ;) )  that has HUGE live potential.  Between Spring, Only Memories, and the rumored heavy hitting ending on Tropics.......this album tour could be very intense. 

Only a month and a half until the first show!

MusiKel Mama

Who wants to start a #springamongtheliving photography thread where everyone can post their MMJ inspired Spring photos?!

diddy57

Always thought Jim James was part werewolf and Spring confirms it. Fabulous. Definitely a full band song. Patrick Hallahan puts a great beat behind this mystical six-minute adventure. :thumbsup:

ajclements004

Robbman

Quote from: ericm on Mar 31, 2015, 12:09 PM

I'm with you. I definitely like it more than Big Decisions, and hope it'll grow on me too. Looking forward to seeing it live though. I think that'll be the deciding factor for me with this one.

Yeah, comparing those two songs probably isn't fair... I liked both but they're not really comparable, in my opinion. The fact that BD is the single simply means, for me, that it'll be worn out enough that I'll become ambivalent about it (see I'm Amazed.. a great song that just gets a lot of plays).

ericm

Quote from: Robbman on Mar 31, 2015, 01:14 PM

Yeah, comparing those two songs probably isn't fair... I liked both but they're not really comparable, in my opinion. The fact that BD is the single simply means, for me, that it'll be worn out enough that I'll become ambivalent about it (see I'm Amazed.. a great song that just gets a lot of plays).

I'm not comparing the two songs, only my feelings on liking/not liking them after the first couple of listens.
"Where's Jim going?"

Sassbox

I'm pretty sure you and I were separated at birth.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Grateful Chabo

First time I heard it I was in my car.  I thought..."ok...i can dig."  I got home for lunch and threw some cans on and whooaaa.  Sonically pleasing to me.  Should be huuuuge live.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

Tomer

I love it! And it could be just awesome live...I think it got a good base for a long live track to build on it.
"Jim's voice makes Enya sound like a russian couple arguing in a bowling alley"

MusiKel Mama

What instrument sounds like it is slicing through the song?