Main Menu

KOL vs. MMJ

Started by SuperKarateMonkyDC, Apr 28, 2009, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteKOL also use WAY too much product.

is this what makes their pants shrink so much?

one theory.

(in all joking, i like this band a lot, but that article was really irritating)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

MickeyReds

QuoteKOL also use WAY too much product.

is this what makes their pants shrink so much?
As long as you keep a straight face...

AMightyCaporal

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Vadie Stark

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

the sun and moon

Are we really asking this question? I'm pretty sure KOL has gotten as far as they are souly by the way they look, and their ridiculously tight pants. They're good, but not great. MMJ is GREAT.

But Nathan is dreamy.

Vadie Stark

You're right Nathan is dreamy

T-shirt free from Dad

lasvegas

i'm not going to even read through this thread, bc there is no competition.

mmj>kol
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Dillsnufus

yeah. the consensus is that mmj is better but kol is way more popular. damn it.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

LEATHER KID

These have been  my two favorite bands for a while now.  I have seen each of them over ten times and traveled out of state to see them both.  Each member of Jacket is better at their  instruments than the Kings.  Jacket's songs are more complex than the Kings.  But this is Rock and Roll therefore there are no rules.  

I really like Queens of the Stone age too but I don't feel compelled to compare them to Ryan Adams and the Cardinals.  (MY two other favorite bands).
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

Sian-of-the-dead

KoL are OK but that's pretty much it.. Just 'OK'. They're a bit of a one trick pony for me, i'm afraid. Caleb's voice is destinctive but I don't feel he does much with it or that they experiment anywhere near as much as they have the capability to.

MMJ blatantly piss all over KoL.  ;)
Don't let 'em take who you are boy, and don't try to be who you ain't...

Don Dante

QuoteThese have been  my two favorite bands for a while now.  I have seen each of them over ten times and traveled out of state to see them both.  Each member of Jacket is better at their  instruments than the Kings.  Jacket's songs are more complex than the Kings.  But this is Rock and Roll therefore there are no rules.  

I really like Queens of the Stone age too but I don't feel compelled to compare them to Ryan Adams and the Cardinals.  (MY two other favorite bands).

Couldn't agree more LK.  This sums it up nicely in my opinion.  I love KOL.  They make me scream and dance as much or more than any other band.  It is fantastic rock 'n roll.  I've seen both these bands a number of times too, in all kinds of venues.  MMJ's musicianship is better, and their songs are more complex for sure.  But I think as far as lyrics and showmanship, they are about even.  Bottom line is their sounds are quite different, and for that reason I think they are both very important bands, much needed in their genres.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

Bigsky

I'm sorry but...MMJ>everyone
I'm also sorry, but who's KOL? :-?

LEATHER KID

QuoteThese have been  my two favorite bands for a while now.  I have seen each of them over ten times and traveled out of state to see them both.  Each member of Jacket is better at their  instruments than the Kings.  Jacket's songs are more complex than the Kings.  But this is Rock and Roll therefore there are no rules.  

Couldn't agree more LK.  This sums it up nicely in my opinion.  I love KOL.  They make me scream and dance as much or more than any other band.  It is fantastic rock 'n roll.  I've seen both these bands a number of times too, in all kinds of venues.  MMJ's musicianship is better, and their songs are more complex for sure.  But I think as far as lyrics and showmanship, they are about even.  Bottom line is their sounds are quite different, and for that reason I think they are both very important bands, much needed in their genres.
Athank you.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

capt. scotty

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except this. Say What?!

I havent seen KOL live, but I have a hard time believing the entire band has the stage presence and showmanship of just Jimmy James
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Bigsky

To correct my previous reply (see above) I have now heard KOL...and yes it was on the MTV Movie Awards. I know I shouldn't judge them by this performance but I must say that they were pretty gay. I am assuming that they are usually much better to even be compared with MMJ. They weren't the worst, but I had a hard time believing that some of you were putting them on the same level as MMJ. I wasn't impressed... :P

I am also assuming that people that like KOL or are try to compare them to MMJ should really check this album out:

capt. scotty

QuoteTo correct my previous reply (see above) I have now heard KOL...and yes it was on the MTV Movie Awards. I know I shouldn't judge them by this performance but I must say that they were pretty gay. I am assuming that they are usually much better to even be compared with MMJ. They weren't the worst, but I had a hard time believing that some of you were putting them on the same level as MMJ. I wasn't impressed... :P

KOL dont deserve to play on the same field as MMJ, but theyre pretty good. Here's another live clip for you. Hopefully its less gay than the MTV Awards (im not sure I know what can be more gay than watching MTV movie awards though  ::))

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLe5fFaja0[/media]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

the sun and moon

QuoteTo correct my previous reply (see above) I have now heard KOL...and yes it was on the MTV Movie Awards. I know I shouldn't judge them by this performance but I must say that they were pretty gay. I am assuming that they are usually much better to even be compared with MMJ. They weren't the worst, but I had a hard time believing that some of you were putting them on the same level as MMJ. I wasn't impressed... :P

I am also assuming that people that like KOL or are try to compare them to MMJ should really check this album out:

ha you can't judge them by their MTV Movie Awards performance (keep in mind this is the same awards show that allows Twilight to beat out The Wrestler and Slumdog Millionaire). "Use Somebody" really isn't their best. I actually kind of hate it. "Sex on Fire" is the song that got them on the cover of Rolling Stone and it suuuuuuucks. They have even admitted to hating it themselves.

My personal favorites would be:

"Rememo"
"The Bucket"
"Trani"
"The Runner"
"Cold Desert"
"Where Nobody Knows"
"Razz"
"Fans"
"Day Old Blues"
"Manhattan"
"Revelry"
"I Want You"
"Black Thumbnail"
"Dusty"
"Arizona"
"Camaro"
"Soft"
"Red Morning Light"
"Happy Alone"
"Wasted Time"
"Genius"

Don Dante

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except this. Say What?!

I havent seen KOL live, but I have a hard time believing the entire band has the stage presence and showmanship of just Jimmy James

It is a different kind of showmanship, just as their lyrics are different, because they - at least within the rock genre - are very different bands.  Jim can jump around, head-bang, and crack jokes with the best of them.  He is my favorite musician and showman, no doubt.  But Caleb sings his ass off every time, they play to the crowd as MMJ does, and they certainly know how to craft a setlist.  Last time I saw KOL was at The Tabernacle (ATL).  They downsized after they sold out the Fox the previous year, and it was obvious how they acted and played that they loved the place.  That spoke volumes of their showmanship to me.  

And really I don't think I need to defend them from a lyrical standpoint.  Once again, very different styles, so no reason to do so, but I could cite brilliance on both sides there.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

Vadie Stark

BH

QuoteCheck this Dawgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyt6byJP3Ac&feature=related

Ha, nice Rhodesian Ridgeback!  I've got one of those.  That one looks way more aggressive than mine.  Mine is a 120 lb. softy.

On topic, I remember in eighth grade when me and my friend Joey Rickenbacker * used to argue about Motley Crue vs. Ratt.  Those were the days.

* Made up name to protect his identity.  I mean come on, Ratt better than Motley Crue?  How embarrassing for him.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.