JJ breaks down Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)

Started by SaraBananaBear, Apr 18, 2010, 04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Yet again, I'm not sure if this goes here, so sorry if it doesn't and hopefully someone can move it to where it should be.

I just found this funny analysis Jim did of the Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.) track that I wanted to share. Perhaps it's already posted, but maybe not, so here goes: http://chicago.timeout.com/articles/music/77876/monsters-of-folks-dear-god#ixzz0QZuk29W1

"Is Conor coming on to God? Maybe that's just your projection on the lyrics. Conor's a sexy guy. How can you not be turned on by him? No, I think he's just wishing for that tangible, 3D experience with God that you can never have"
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Erik26

Sweet! You're digging up all kinds of good articles!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

SaraBananaBear

QuoteSweet! You're digging up all kinds of good articles!

Happy you liked it. I should be writing an essay, but reading MMJ/MOF articles/interviews are so much fun and a little procrastination never hurt anyone... much... I hope  ;)

Erik26

I am a serial procrastinator, I understand. :)
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

Kenny76

JJ: "I consider myself really spiritual. I feel the presence of God, or whatever that is, all of the time, whether it's live or music. I've never been able to define it or call it Christianity or Islam. I can't put a label on it."

I feel the exact same way, in fact I've felt it more over the past year or so.  Religion always confused me, I loathed going to church as a kid, but occasionally I would love the music at church, especially at church camp when I sang with the other kids, and not with all the old drones.  Plus, we sang cooler songs at camp, like songs that were not traditionally religious, such as I Shall Be Released (by Dylan/The Band).  So I feel like music is divine (if it's done right), and beyond that, I feel connected to something I can't quite explain, but I know it's there.

harryhoudini

any chance for a copy and paste?  i can't get to this at work.
roo '05, roo '06, 5/28/06, 12/1/06, 12/31/08, 5/1/10, 6/26/11, 7/14/13, 11/24/15, 11/28/15

SaraBananaBear

Quoteany chance for a copy and paste?  i can't get to this at work.

WHAT Monsters of Folk, a supergroup featuring M. Ward, Conor Oberst and Jim James, tour to support their eponymous album
WHEN Oct 30
WHERE Auditorium Theatre (50 E Congress Pkwy, 312-553-3530, auditoriumtheatre.org)

People said they thought it was XTC's "Dear God." That's why we put in the parentheses. I still haven't heard that XTC song. I need to.

"Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)"
By Monsters of Folk

When we went on tour, it was originally just billed as Conor, Jim, etc. We jokingly called it the "monsters of folk." When we decided to do an album we were hell-bent on finding a real name. We were gonna call it "Monsters." But it always sounded like we were taking ourselves too seriously.

There's a record store in Nashville, Grimey's. Grimey turns me on to stuff and told me about Numero Group's reissues. There's a couple other ones I got, but the Good God one just blew me away. There's never been a record I listened to so much.

Featuring a sample of:
Trevor Dandy's "Is There Any Love"
Written, produced and recorded by Paul Zaza
Found on Good God! A Gospel Funk Hymnal (Numero Group)

No, that's not my real name.

[Jim James:]
Dear God, I'm trying hard to reach you.
Dear God, I see your face in all I do.
Sometimes it's so hard to believe in you.
But God, I know you have your reasons.

I consider myself really spiritual. I feel the presence of God, or whatever that is, all of the time, whether it's live or music. I've never been able to define it or call it Christianity or Islam. I can't put a label on it.

[M. Ward:]
Dear God, I see you moving mountains.
Dear God, I see you moving trees.
Sometimes, it's nothing to believe in. No, no.
Sometimes, it's everything I see.

Yeah, there were all sorts of Traveling Wilburys jokes made. It's natural for people to think about that kinda thing. But we never got together and were like, "Let's be the Traveling Wilburys."

[All three:]
But I've been thinking about it.
And I've been breaking it down
Without an answer.
I know I'm thinking out loud.
But if your love's still around, why do we suffer?

Is Conor coming on to God? Maybe that's just your projection on the lyrics. Conor's a sexy guy. How can you not be turned on by him? No, I think he's just wishing for that tangible, 3D experience with God that you can never have.

[Conor Oberst:]
Dear God, I wish that I could touch you.
How strange, sometimes I feel I almost do.
And then I'm back behind the glass again.
Oh God, what keeps you out, it keeps me in.

[All three:]
But I've been thinking about it.
And I've been breaking it down
Without an answer.
I know I'm thinking out loud.
But if your love's still around, why do we suffer?

harryhoudini

roo '05, roo '06, 5/28/06, 12/1/06, 12/31/08, 5/1/10, 6/26/11, 7/14/13, 11/24/15, 11/28/15

SaraBananaBear

SmokinShootin

I think if people lived for what we new was true that we are here on earth and we should love each other because

we are real

love is real

everything else falls in place when you accept those two things.  If theres a god, he'll be pleased.

I think Jim must feel the same was in some respect and that's the feeling I usually get.