Next Album's Sound

Started by wakebord, Jul 03, 2010, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakebord

Obviously no one knows when and if the band will make a new album.  I assume they will make one, and hopefully it will come out before the end of 2011.  That being said, what direction do you guys (and girls) think the album will take.  The recent comps that the band has been on have had a distinct country/folk sound -- covers of "All the Best" and "Lullabies, Legends, and Lies" on the John Prine and Shel Silverstein albums were absolutely beautiful.  They also played "Friends Again" at the show in Alabama, which had a slower, lighter sound to it than the last few albums.  I'm wondering if the 7-10 minute bangers like Dondante, Steam Engine, Run Thru, etc are things of the past?  I sure hope not.  Obviously, with the covers they have done, the song is confined to the original artist's boundaries in a way, but MMJ makes them sound like their own.  Thoughts?

el_chode

I fully expect something firmly rooted in classic rock and roll sounds build on their traditional foundations. I don't expect it to be too experimental, and I do expect it to be a template for live performances. In fact, I think I fully anticipate the future of the band to be like Phish - unoffensive, remarkably unremarkable albums that you can't really find fault with, but set the listener up for epic live performances. I don't consider EU to have a cohesive sound, but I do consider the rest of the albums to each have their own unique angle. However, I do consider EU to be written in a less-experimental, more traditional rock format. I think the next album will combine both.

When I say classic, I don't mean like the radio format of Zep, CCR, etc, but just classic songmanship, like the Zombies, Replacements, or the Stones
I'm surrounded by assholes

ALady

I think it will bring the funk.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Nikkogino

QuoteI think it will bring the funk.

i think it will be who cares what i think it will be.

i would like some country though.

DaFunkyPrecedent

it's going to be 13 awesome songs - it's going to sound professional, it's going to be obtainable, appealing, popular and moving.  It's going to be Rollingstones number 9 album of the year and Pitchfork will give it an 8.2 claiming it to be "the album that brought MMJ back to the rooted music where they belong".  As fans we will adore it but will have to face the fact that we now have to share this band with even more people - but we'll remind ourselves that we still have "Phone Went West" and no one can take that away from us.  Their tour will be in 3D.
God damn those shaky knees.

EasyRyder

Quoteit's going to be 13 awesome songs - it's going to sound professional, it's going to be obtainable, appealing, popular and moving.  It's going to be Rollingstones number 9 album of the year and Pitchfork will give it an 8.2 claiming it to be "the album that brought MMJ back to the rooted music where they belong".  As fans we will adore it but will have to face the fact that we now have to share this band with even more people - but we'll remind ourselves that we still have "Phone Went West" and no one can take that away from us.  Their tour will be in 3D.

I don't think you could be more right...no matter what the sound of the new album will be, the thing that sets this band apart is that so far the intimacy of the shows has remained.
Whether the tour is "in 3D" or not, or if more and more people show up to only hear the hits, the feeling and vibe is always there. I think the substance of the music, regardless of the style, will keep the experience real.
Since EU was arguably their most popularly accessible album, I'm just hoping this next one will ask just a little bit more from the "new" audience...
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

The DARK

I get a feeling, based off of Friends Again, Dear Wife and their MSG NYE covers, that they're headed towards a "classic pop" sound. It always seems to have been a love of Jim's, and with their current position, I think they're poised to do it.

That said, I don't expect Jim's songwriting template to change too much. He just writes whenever he is inspired to do so, and the song is not dependent on the "sound" of an album. A Jim song will always sound like a Jim song.
In another time, in another place, in another face

weeniebeenie

QuoteI get a feeling, based off of Friends Again, Dear Wife and their MSG NYE covers, that they're headed towards a "classic pop" sound. It always seems to have been a love of Jim's, and with their current position, I think they're poised to do it.
I hope they do something like this.
How loud can silence get?

jones

QuoteI get a feeling, based off of Friends Again, Dear Wife and their MSG NYE covers, that they're headed towards a "classic pop" sound. It always seems to have been a love of Jim's, and with their current position, I think they're poised to do it.

That said, I don't expect Jim's songwriting template to change too much. He just writes whenever he is inspired to do so, and the song is not dependent on the "sound" of an album. A Jim song will always sound like a Jim song.

You are wise beyond your years.

Tracy 3000

I would love a dark, brooding, 9 minute heavy metal song.

I mean, when is Yim going to unleash his inner War Pigs?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRMZk-l_VY[/media]
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

Penny Lane

power pop or smoove jazz
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

columba78

Is there any indication if MMJ are working on a new record ?
Or all busy on sideprojekts and concerts ?

DaFunkyPrecedent

For sure.  Jim loves the classics, the songs everybody knows and everybody can relate to.  I can see him really trying to hunker down his writing style, making it more cohesive and to the point (I'm Amazed style rather than Dondonte style).  As you get older, you get more confident in your skillz and it is with this very apperant confidence I am 100% certain Jim James and The Boys' will make a classic record in the near future that will stand  out for the rest of time, an album that will taste good on everybodies pallet.
God damn those shaky knees.

Tracy 3000

For sure.  Jim loves the classics, the songs everybody knows and everybody can relate to.  I can see him really trying to hunker down his writing style, making it more cohesive and to the point (I'm Amazed style rather than Dondonte style).  As you get older, you get more confident in your skillz and it is with this very apperant confidence I am 100% certain Jim James and The Boys' will make a classic record in the near future that will stand  out for the rest of time, an album that will taste good on everybodies pallet.

pallet

palette

palate

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

BH

QuoteI would love a dark, brooding, 9 minute heavy metal song.

I would LOVE a metalish ep at least!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

el_chode

You know, something heavy and brooding would do me a huge favor in convincing some friends that these guys can shred. The problem with some of these friends is that they're extremely narrow minded and need to be punched in the face instantly. And when I say instantly, they can't wait long enough for Run Thru to pick up and the intro into OBH might cause them to lose interest.

I'll be all like "these guys can knock the walls down at MSG and then they'll go listen to something and typically just come across Touch Me Pt. 2 or Golden
I'm surrounded by assholes

Honest Man

Each album has a different sound. I am always ready to see what comes out next. I will say this - MORE REVERB!!!
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Quote As fans we will adore it but will have to face the fact that we now have to share this band with even more people - but we'll remind ourselves that we still have "Phone Went West" and no one can take that away from us.

mmj is the pearl jam of this decade. i honestly believe that. and they will be fucking huge. and they will be the only band that is still talked about from this decade when we're all dead.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

My Morning Coffee

QuoteI would love a dark, brooding, 9 minute heavy metal song.

I would LOVE a metalish ep at least!

Leave the bizarre metal attempts to Ryan Adams please  :P

I'll take whatever I get though and will listen to it thoroughly.
~ I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~