10 Ideas for MMJ

Started by Dustin Leathers, Feb 06, 2006, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

God Bless the Hippies!

I get to go to my nine to fiver every day while they travel around the states taping great shows for me.  How is this a bad thing.  Are we worried about image or the music?

If I knew who taped the toronto show from 5-28-04 that I listened to this morning on my way to work I'd give him a hug.  I almost had an accident playing the drums at the end of masterplan and then had to wipe my tears of joy away before I walked in to my office after listening to the greatest Steam Engine ever.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

marktwain

QuoteGod Bless the Hippies!

I get to go to my nine to fiver every day while they travel around the states taping great shows for me.  How is this a bad thing.  Are we worried about image or the music?

If I knew who taped the toronto show from 5-28-04 that I listened to this morning on my way to work I'd give him a hug.  I almost had an accident playing the drums at the end of masterplan and then had to wipe my tears of joy away before I walked in to my office after listening to the greatest Steam Engine ever.

amen.  I love tapers.  

ycartrob

great discussion.

And see Dustin, most of the people on this board can handle constructive criticism and have a civil discussion.

Don't believe everything you read about how most people here overreact to protect the Jacket. It's not true.

marktwain

QuoteDon't believe everything you read about how most people here overreact to protect the Jacket. It's not true.

What do you mean by THAT, asshole?!!  why don't you fucking get a life!!

(  ;) )

ycartrob

What do you mean by THAT, asshole?!!  why don't you fucking get a life!!

(  ;) )

I said MOST

tundra and I would be the exception...

peanut butter puddin surprise

Nice discussion.  "Constructive" criticism isn't what happens, as mr. carrot so eloquently pointed out, so I'm not sure to whom those comments are directed towards about being "overprotective" or whatever was said.

Saying that the PR Team sucks, isn't "constructive" criticism;  it's just mean spirited nonsensical ramblings.  Obviously, they don't "suck" as MMJ went from being a band playing to five or ten people at the Rud to a world conquering, major label signing act in the mere span of six years.  Yes, a lot of that was done by word of mouth and the internet and endless touring...but it's no accident that our favorite band is on the lips of critics the world over and having fawning articles written about them in fabulous music magazines.  That shit don't happen just because a "sucky" PR team half assedly does their job;  rather, it seems to me that they are doing a hell of a job in the let's-expose-the-world to MMJ Department.  Switch management?!  I don't think that would be wise considering how fast their rise has been.  

They've sold a bunch of records, they've toured a lot, and they're on the hearts and minds of many countless people.  Sounds like someone's doing a good job somewhere.

In closing, I'm not "defending" anyone;  rather, I'm just constructively pointing out that the idea that the so called "sucky" PR team is doing a shitty job just doesn't hold water, IMHO.

Maybe I should just go back to speculating about an MMJ tour of all the houses I've ever lived in.  :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

DD

Quote10 ideas MMJ

1. Don't tour with WSP and dont let the tappers in (dont need the hippy crowd sorry) Im sure Ill get bashed for this one and i do like the live stuff i have heard

i hate hipsters who think they are so much better than hippies and  hippie jam bands.  i dont think the m to the mj is going to be predjudiced against any specific crowd when it comes to getting fans.

2. Get some better merch (FAVORITE band they could make a fortune off me)

this is the one that makes me think "is this guy an idiot?".  the bear shirt was amazing.  the magician shirt was amazing.  the sailboat shirt was amazing.  lastly the new adrian wright pug shirt was totally awesome with one exception, those jerks beat me to it.  i was p lanning on using the pug out of the adrian wright painting i got for some rednails merchandise...ill GET YOU MMJ!  if its the LAST thing i DOOOOOOOOO!

3. Put out DVD (i know its coming)
good idea

4. Play vintage theaters and ledgendary clubs only (with growth I know this is impossible)
great idea

5. Better videos
ive never seen any so no comment.

6. A Live CD would sell
also a great idea

7. A New Orleans gig would be nice later on
man that place is stinky.  but a good idea none the less.

8. No Clear channel venues
sadly a venue is a venue.

9. Stay healthy you have something special
yeah no more rehab for pez addiction!

10. Keep in mind Wilco has done a great job at staying small and making a good living.

this one is kind of wierd.  from what ive read, heard, and said to the fellas they have never seemed like the "hey lets be gigantic famous rock stars" type.  you and i both prefer they stay "small" at least on that "wilco level" because it means they will continue to be accessible and play smaller more intimate venues.  thats technically how i prefer all my favorite bands to be.

ps.  dont take the "idiot" or "hipster" comments too harshly.  
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

aMillionDreams

You all are right.  MMJ's popularity has everything to do  with their PR team and nothing to do with the fact that they fucking rock.  That wasn't constructive, it was mean-spirited because I secretly hate this band and want only the worse for them.  You have exposed my true nature.  I'm really a closet Ashlee Simpson fan, because her PR team sucks but it doesn't matter because she's so talented.  Down with the Jacket, long live Ashlee Simpson!!!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

4real

QuoteYou all are right.  MMJ's popularity has everything to do  with their PR team and nothing to do with the fact that they fucking rock.  That wasn't constructive, it was mean-spirited because I secretly hate this band and want only the worse for them.  You have exposed my true nature.  I'm really a closet Ashlee Simpson fan, because her PR team sucks but it doesn't matter because she's so talented.  Down with the Jacket, long live Ashlee Simpson!!!
I have one million dreams, too.  One of them is that you shut the hell up and get over yourself.

realdeal

Her lastest record ain't that bad.

DD

QuoteYou all are right.  MMJ's popularity has everything to do  with their PR team and nothing to do with the fact that they fucking rock.  That wasn't constructive, it was mean-spirited because I secretly hate this band and want only the worse for them.  You have exposed my true nature.  I'm really a closet Ashlee Simpson fan, because her PR team sucks but it doesn't matter because she's so talented.  Down with the Jacket, long live Ashlee Simpson!!!

but does she have good merchandise?
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

ratsprayer

but does she have good merchandise?

(insert joke here)

Ah, the never ending story.  Like sands through the hour glass....so are the days of our lives.

(cue sweeping violin theme song)

MMJ_fanatic

I could care less about tapers--spread the gospel any way you can--also the more concert headcount grows the more secure this band is in continuing the fuckin' great music they make as a career. Just my $2 (increased from 2 cents for inflation  ;))
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

orbison

i dont know if i'm late on this thread. but I have seen My Morning Jacket written about in every US and UK music magazine, big publications to small newspapers. This is what PR does. I'd say they're doing a damn good job.

Also, I think they are in the perfect position right now. They are selling records and selling out shows, without being that band that is shoved down everyone's throats (Coldplay, etc)

As far as the merch goes, does anyone else hate it when bands have toooo much merch? I'm glad they dont sell MMJ trucker hats, track jackets and coffee mugs and assorted bullshit.

I would also like to commend the band for being active in the gigposter scene. A lot of bands strike down artists who want to do posters for shows, with all the gigposters out there, I feel like the guys are pretty supportive.

Anyone advocating for a change in PR or management is just foolish. MMJ's stature is just right. Not too big, not too small.  

EC

I agree with you orbison on all points, except this one:
Quotecoffee mugs
I think that MMJ coffee mugs would be a GREAT idea.  Maybe some MMJ bourbon tumblers, too.  There's nothing like having a dinner party and pulling out your collectors glassware.

I still have my Muppet Movie glass from the gas station from, ohhhhh, you know, a decade that started with 7 or something.  :)

QuoteI agree with you orbison on all points, except this one:
I think that MMJ coffee mugs would be a GREAT idea.  Maybe some MMJ bourbon tumblers, too.  There's nothing like having a dinner party and pulling out your collectors glassware.

I still have my Muppet Movie glass from the gas station from, ohhhhh, you know, a decade that started with 7 or something.  :)

I love it!

I still want a baby tshirt for amelia....although antoniostrohs was most kind in making a onesie for her.  cutest thing ever!

JacketGal

It IS all about the music. ;D I don't think we can tailor bands around our beliefs and what we would like them to say or do or produce or  what have you.  I actually think it's really cool that MMJ has hippie fans as well as emo fans. Just listen...

That said, I'd love an MMJ Coffee Mug, maybe it could say easy morning coffee or What a wonderful mug you are...by my cup...OK, I'll stop now.  ;D

And bless the tapers!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

BH

I'm thinking a simple picture of the At Dawn cover with MY MORNING COFFEE written on top.  I think I'll make my own.  Thanks for the ideas guys.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

wellfleet

That said, I'd love an MMJ Coffee Mug, maybe it could say easy morning coffee or What a wonderful mug you are...by my cup...OK, I'll stop now.  ;D

that's the funniest thing ever! way to go jacketgirl!

i'm only 25, but jeez, when did hippies become the scourge of mankind? i understand about the smell, but they're about love and freedom and shit.
DVD *and* official live CD are coming, keep up dudes!

re: the PR team... well, i don't think it "sux". obviously in the last year the band got a lot of lip-service from music mags and music writers, but people who reach out to music media are already music fans. they were all over top-10 lists last year and have some album sales but they didn't have MASSIVE sales... i think the PR team could do a better job of hyping the band as the next big thing. i'll compare MMJ to a band i don't care for, franz ferdinand. personally, i thing they have very little musical talent and even less stage presence, but they became HUGE. the buzz was inescapable, they were everywhere, on TV, on the radio, on MTV, VH1... their hype wagon was a freakin' 18 wheeler. now, MMJ has all that potential but i think it's untapped.
the problem i've seen with SONY, BMG and EMI is that their PR push doesn't always extend very far with emerging artists. they don't always "work" their product to the max. i would like to see MMJ on TRL, on the O.C., Gilmore Girls, whatever... sell sell sell.
the jacket is still relatively obscure and that's too bad because they're way hot...

everything sucks. really.