Main Menu

Why, Jim?...

Started by xWilliamX07, Jul 04, 2008, 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFunkyPrecedent

remember when BOB MOTHER FUCKIN' DYLAN went religious? fans were pissed too...they didn't want the dylan of the 60's, the Dylan who writes Masters of War and Blowin' in the Wind to be singing about faith.  The fact is though, good song writers sing about what is going on in their lives, whether it be politics, love or religion.  

I am attracted to MMJ not only because i think their music is beautiful, fun and timeless, but I also love Jim James as the front man.  I love being able to follow his life through his lyrics, interviews, descriptions of songs etc.  I think he is a wonderful, insightful and truly interesting person.  And shit, if Jim wants to sing about being confused about spirituality, then sing about that. I know though I will forever be interested in what Jim James is feeling and thinking - he can do no wrong in my eyes.  

I hear ya though, it's hard to see something you love and are dedicated to all of a sudden change in a direction your not interested in.  But when it comes down to it all, and when you go see them live, they're still the good old My Morning Jacket they have always been...maybe even better.  

PS - Just wait until you see "Smokin' From Shootin' " live. HOLY SHIT!  :o    
God damn those shaky knees.

Angry Ewok

Jim has referred to, by name, the Lord, God, Heaven, or Hell in every single one of MMJ's major releases, with the exception of Z, which instead has a title track named Gideon.

You people can shit a brick and moan and bitch about this being nothing but a veiled Christian album, but the Judeo-Christian influence has been there since the beginning.

I said long before Evil Urges even had a name that it would be amusing to me to see how many people would be disgusted if Jim wrote a blatantly Christian album. This isn't one, but I see just how bad your panties wad up and it's just sad that your distaste for Jew/Christian influence prevents you from enjoying an awesome album.

Too bad it isn't another album about George Bush, huh?

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

wss

QuoteJim has referred to, by name, the Lord, God, Heaven, or Hell in every single one of MMJ's major releases, with the exception of Z, which instead has a title track named Gideon.

You people can shit a brick and moan and bitch about this being nothing but a veiled Christian album, but the Judeo-Christian influence has been there since the beginning.

I said long before Evil Urges even had a name that it would be amusing to me to see how many people would be disgusted if Jim wrote a blatantly Christian album. This isn't one, but I see just how bad your panties wad up and it's just sad that your distaste for Jew/Christian influence prevents you from enjoying an awesome album.

Too bad it isn't another album about George Bush, huh?

they wrote a record about george bush?  do you want them to write a christian record?  

ycartrob

they wrote a record about george bush?  do you want them to write a christian record?  

Z is about George Bush

EU is about their devotion to Christ

wss

it replays each of the days
a hundred years of routines
bows its head and prays
to the mother of all machines...

ycartrob

Quoteit replays each of the days
a hundred years of routines
bows its head and prays
to the mother of all machines...

raaaazor sharp   ;)

Angry Ewok

QuoteToo bad it isn't another album about George Bush, huh?

That last line was sarcastic. No, they didn't write a record about George Bush, but a lot of people were wanting to prove at least one song in Z was somehow a protest song.

I don't care if they write a Christian record. I want them to write a record that suits them, not their fanbase. I'm an artist and I believe in letting the artist express themselves...

...but I'm one of those people who has enjoyed every single album no matter how different they are from another.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

petemoss

QuoteSo, why is it you fans are so won over by this album when it has abandoned the much of the MMJ roots and its original--unique sound?

I'll give it a shot:

I Wanna Hold You Hand + I Am The Walrus = The Beatles
Blowin' in the Wind  + Maggie's Farm = Bob Dylan
Good Times, Bad Times + D'yer Mak'er = Led Zeppelin
Truckin' + Unbroken Chain = The Greatful Dead
I Will Follow + Zooropa = U2
New Day Rising + Thumbtack = Bob Mould
Radio Free Europe + Drive = REM
Fake Plastic Trees + Weird Fishes = Radiohead
Passenger Side + Spiders  = Wilco
Eveyln is Not Real + Highly Suspicious = My Monrning Jacket
[/i]

I love you.
I mean, I always assumed I loved you in the past.
But now I know.
So there it is.

mjkoehler

QuoteSo, why is it you fans are so won over by this album when it has abandoned the much of the MMJ roots and its original--unique sound?

I'll give it a shot:

I Wanna Hold You Hand + I Am The Walrus = The Beatles
Blowin' in the Wind  + Maggie's Farm = Bob Dylan
Good Times, Bad Times + D'yer Mak'er = Led Zeppelin
Truckin' + Unbroken Chain = The Greatful Dead
I Will Follow + Zooropa = U2
New Day Rising + Thumbtack = Bob Mould
Radio Free Europe + Drive = REM
Fake Plastic Trees + Weird Fishes = Radiohead
Passenger Side + Spiders  = Wilco
Eveyln is Not Real + Highly Suspicious = My Monrning Jacket

and it goes on and on and on and on....

Personally, I am glad artists change. Personally, I am glad I change.
This is a process that will always be as long as man continues to search within himself. Change is good.

Being angry that an artist no longer fits in the box you built for them, suspending them in time and space without the opportunity for growth and introspection is silly.

To quote Billy Joel (whom all roads lead back to):

Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

puuurfect.

I do not feel this is a "Christian" rock album. I only feel 1 song really feels like it could be religious, and it does not bother me because it means different things to different people.

Dorothy_Mantooth

this thread never really got serious.

"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

D. Sinclair

Also, Dorothy, is your avatar Jay-Z doing a pee-dance?

Dorothy_Mantooth

that song is how i'm choosing to celebrate freedom today.

it's actually Jay-Z enjoying the hell out of a Coldplay show. i'm serious. you can't make this up. even better, ricky gervais is in front of him. here's the full

i'm semi-obsessed with this gif.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

D. Sinclair

I don't know, lady.  Looks like a pee-dance to me.  Or like he and Ricky G are having a "moment."

bold99

QuoteLet me first mention that I am a new to the MMJ forums and am not one who is dedicated to the community of forums of any kind to be honest. Let me also mention MMJ is a very touching band to me, and its music, lyrics, and style is like no other, which has totally won me over, thus making me a very big fan for the past 2 years. However, I came here to voice a very strong concern of mine in regards to Jim's latest album and the content within it. Yeah, I know a bunch of you as far as I've skimmed through most the posts, that you're somehow in love with this new album, which seems contradictory to those who initially were attracted to the band from MMJ's original roots and style. Yes, I understand that Jim's approach on this album was a new attempt and obviously took a chance to emulate their "live sound" and stray from "rock and roll". But, the music has changed far too much, the vocals have changed enough to be dissapointingly noticed, and the lyrics are horrendous to me (I will get to that part momentarily). Mind you, this is strictly my opinion and I have to let this out, so be open minded and put down your guns, if you would be so kind. So, why is it you fans are so won over by this album when it has abandoned the much of the MMJ roots and its original--unique sound? Yes, this album is unique in its own way, but not the unique level that is shared by those of the former albums. The albums with the mystifying wave of music that is emitted from the band that would capture the hearts of those with distinct taste. Now, I just hear something strange and distant compared to what I used to know and enjoy so much. The lyrics are too greatly involved with God, whereas earlier albums seldomly mentioned God. If Jim is spiritual, which I know he is, so be it, but don't make some damn christian rock album, just because you thought it might be a good concept for the album OR because you achieved some greater "connection" with your faith. If I wanted to hear some christian rock, or something of that sort, I'd go to the religous section of the music store. About half the album is dedicated to God it seems, and yes that bothers me, because once again, I was under the impression that MMJ wasn't a religious group, since they'd seldomly even mention anything even related to God. Call this one petty rant with no meaning, but I feel rather decieved by an artist I so greatly appreciate, who then releases a piece of work that is too different in content, which contains that which I despise (anything of religion). That's just me, or, even the many who feel that way but won't say anything due to the masses interwoven with a man made craft called faith. So, all I want to know is, why did Jim put so much emphasis on his beliefs in God all of the sudden, and will this be his new direction? If so, I'm sorry but I will not be capable of enjoying any new work with such relation and style that betrays the roots that won everyone who is an MMJ fan today over.  I have also listened to this album six times hoping it will strike me in a positive light, but no light at all. On i-tunes reviews I see many good reviews, but also see a considerable number of the bad, those which have the same confusion as I and greatly disappointed, which gave me some consolation. So, this is a really long pent up passionate cry of 'why?' and I hope it reaches those who share the same concerns. If anyone survived and understands this, please speak now. Thanks...

gee Jim talks about God and religion on this album...shocking...nobody has ever touched on those subjects before in Rock and Roll.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Dorothy_Mantooth

it's an awkward .gif all around, that's why i luvz it.

whothrewthecake

i wonder if jay-z and ricky g talked and if they did, what they talked about. i hope will smith.

searchinbig

And one more thing.......

Ah yes religion and politics.

Nobody wins.

That being said I'm off to celebrate in this great country of ours with a cold homebrew and to thank  ''the stars" that we can talk freely about all this stuff. I think I'll even crank EU to get the party started!

:)    ;D    :)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Dorothy_Mantooth

Ricky was discussing the merits of Willenium while Jay-Z feels that the Hitch theme song is undervalued. They're not on speaking terms.