Main Menu

Why, Jim?...

Started by xWilliamX07, Jul 04, 2008, 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

::peaks in thread, reads a little, pukes a little in my mouth because of the thread starters ignorance, leaves thread::

laylow82

I always thought there was subtle spritual references since the very beggining.  It was all over the place in It still moves.  I always thought that the title of of It still moves was a reference to god in some way.  Instead of god being designated as a he or she, i always thought jim was designating god as IT because it is more of a  mysterious way in describing that spritual force that binds us.  

Also i think if jim wanted to make a christian album, the lyrics would be more overt,  but its not. Never has been.  I think he is just trying to make sense of faith and god the best way he knows how and he never pretends he has the answers.

Just my thoughts

songdiver

Go do some research on quantum physics, and then go back and really listen to Evil Urges.  You will come out of it with a different meaning.

Jim talks of a "new" heaven, where we are all one; the theory that we are all gods, or a part of something powerful that connects all of us.  He isn't preaching christianity, he is talking about the universal religion of connectivity.
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

Dorothy_Mantooth

that fighting cats video is the best thing i've ever seen. i often feel like that cat at the end that comes in and abruptly ends that fight
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

Dorothy_Mantooth

i've just concluded that the fighting cat video is the best visual metaphor i've ever seen for this forum
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

D. Sinclair

Quotei've just concluded that the fighting cat video is the best visual metaphor i've ever seen for this forum

Especially the barfing part at the end.

Lowdown

god = nature

TheBigChicken

Quotethat fighting cats video is the best thing i've ever seen. i often feel like that cat at the end that comes in and abruptly ends that fight
;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

DaFunkyPrecedent

the day Jim wears a giant cross will be the day I am convinced his songs are about "religion".  Otherwise, i think he's just kinda spiritual -

Where did i read that Jim was doing some spiritual classes? was that in the new RS?  
God damn those shaky knees.

j_rud

You're acting as if this is a surprise to you. If you cant hear the progression in the albums then I woul have to wonder how closely you've been listening. Your criticisms are funny IMO. Basically you are saying "Why didnt you make the same albums I liked 5 years ago?" If one thing is obvious its that this is not a stagnant band. While early returns may have said they were all about reverb and rock, it has become clear that they are about branching out and letting their sound evolve. Sure, its bound to lose a few fans. Truth be told I couldnt care less.

I gotta be honest though, some of the things you talked about irritated the shit out of me. First of all, you titled this "Why, Jim?". This isnt "Jim's" album. Sure, he writes the lyrics and is the most visible member, but this is a group effort. Its obvious which vital parts each guy brings. To heap all of the praise or criticism on one guy is foolish and wrong. Second of all, you said something to the effect of "Dont write about spirituality because you achieved some greater connection with your faith". This may come as a shock, but Jim (or any other musician) can write about whatever the heeeeeeelllllllll he wants to write about. You didnt commission this work from your own pocket. You didnt ask him to record YOU a personal album. I just cant believe someone could actually suggest what an artist should or shouldnt express through their art. Thats a fucking joke, and a clear indication that our celebrity obsessed culture has continued to grow like a mold to the point where we think artists are supposed to work for us.

If you dont like the album, fine. A lot of people dont. Thats your choice, and I really dont care. But some of the garbage you typed really struck a chord.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

petemoss

Quote                                            god = nature

That's a pretty deep first post my friend.

Angry Ewok

Quote                                            god = nature

That's a pretty deep first post my friend.

My world has officially been rocked by this equation.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

kymomandstuff

I haven't seen such a sad misinterpretation of an album/song since Christian fundalmentalists claimed "Hotel California" was about Satanism.
Violeteye you are assuming too much and with lyrics as poignant and mysterious as MMJ's you'll never get the big picture if you're being overly analytical.
It's ok if you don't like the album but not liking it because of a false perception is your fault and not Jim's.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Dorothy_Mantooth

this might just be me, but aren't you going to hear exactly what you want to hear from an album? if i want to see the face of jesus in my cornflakes, then i will see it.

BH

Just because he do.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

j_rud

Quotethis might just be me, but aren't you going to hear exactly what you want to hear from an album? if i want to see the face of jesus in my cornflakes, then i will see it.
And if you do, please PM me, because I would love to smoke some of that.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

Tony Two Tone

Throwing my 2 cents in....

First off, listening to this band, be reminded of the lyrics to "The Way That He Sings".  I can tell you in personal experience I didn't get hooked on the band by what exactly Jim was singing.  Shit I didn't even care at the time, just beautiful melodies with haunting ethreal vocals completely blowing my mind with each new song that came along.

Secondly if you think Evil Urges is a christian rock album spewing and blowing with religious references than your completely digging and trying to find a reason other than the fact this band has evolved its SOUND.  Jim is very vague in these songs.  Songs are like poetry and poetry is not the same to everyone.  Each has their own interpretation.  Hell, sometimes I think Look At You is a sarcastic song having nothing to do with God.  The words put together "Look At You" are very condescending in tone and could be just a facetious nod to a certain world leader.  But that's me, MY interpretation.

Lastly, being an Atheist myself I kinda get upset when guys like yourself go "God Bashing".  Atheism is a belief just like Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Flying Spaghetti Monster followers.  So to go out and completely bash something that doesn't fit into your belief you're no better than any  Christian evangelical I've seen at Bonnaroo telling us we're all going to hell.

OH  OH OH...

one more thing....

if you don't like it,

DON"T LISTEN TO IT!  Easy!

DaFunkyPrecedent

OH  OH OH...

one more thing....

if you don't like it,

This last part is not fair.  I think it's good fans have high expectations of their band.  When the band lets down the fan, i think it should be talked about it.  I have a lot of friends who HATE this album, and it's painful because they use to love them so much...i find that a lot of the criticism is well put, thoughtful and maybe even a little bit true.  I just feel differently about the band so I am still able to love their new sound.  But its not as black and white as everyone is making it out to be.  

PS - Look At You, in my opinion is MMJ's worst song.  Worse than some of that early learning shit...
At the same time Touch Me Pt II is in my opinion their best song they've ever made....
God damn those shaky knees.

petemoss

OH  OH OH...

one more thing....

if you don't like it,

This last part is not fair.  I think it's good fans have high expectations of their band.  When the band lets down the fan, i think it should be talked about it.  I have a lot of friends who HATE this album, and it's painful because they use to love them so much...i find that a lot of the criticism is well put, thoughtful and maybe even a little bit true.  I just feel differently about the band so I am still able to love their new sound.  But its not as black and white as everyone is making it out to be.  

PS - Look At You, in my opinion is MMJ's worst song.  Worse than some of that early learning shit...
At the same time Touch Me Pt II is in my opinion their best song they've ever made....

I love 'Look at you', i think it's awesome.
'Touch me part 2' their greatest song?
I'm not so sure about that.
That song is amazing for sure, but they have better songs if you ask me.