Friends and family snickering about your MMJ love

Started by Zzzzzzzz, Jun 28, 2008, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEO

QuoteMore like my 80 yr. old father saying something like "when are you going to go see all of those weirdos you know in Kentucky" when I talk about meeting people from the boards.

We're not weird.

Are we? :-/

It all depends upon how many board members you have met....... ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Honest Man

I get it from my friends, but the difference between me and them is that I have good musical taste. They have no idea. Drag them to one of MMJ's shows and I guarantee a conversion like Sammy Davis Jr. becoming a Jew.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

kymomandstuff

Quotemy mother, for the life of her she's 76, cannot remember the name My Morning Jacket. A couple of years ago I told her that we were going to Atlanta to see My Monring Jacket, and she talked to my brother the next day and he told me she told him that we went to Atlanta to see My Sunday Socks.  true story

This could possibly be the funniest thing I've ever read.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Penny Lane

QuoteMy buddy, who left the Bonnaroo '08 early, has actually stopped liking them because all I have done is talk about them/listen to them.

My wife also finds it strange for a guy in his 30's to be so "obsessed" with a band.

Oh well, their loss.

my mother says i would have been married by now if it weren't for my preoccupation with 'trape-sing off to all those weird concerts' and she also told me i'm getting too old for woodstock festivals lol....
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quotemy mother, for the life of her she's 76, cannot remember the name My Morning Jacket. A couple of years ago I told her that we were going to Atlanta to see My Monring Jacket, and she talked to my brother the next day and he told me she told him that we went to Atlanta to see My Sunday Socks.  true story

This could possibly be the funniest thing I've ever read.

LOL...that is awesome. they should read that and write a song called that....!

goldenlady

I have a group of fellow Jacketeers that are just as obsessed as I am...so I'm pretty lucky..

but my dad..he just doesnt understand the need to spend money on going to see a band so many times when you can jsut hear them on the radio or a CD...what he doesnt understand is that you can't hear them on the radio (which I love)..i feel sort of protective of MMJ like I dont want the idiot masses to jump on the train..a wreck such a wonderful thing...much like the destroying of Phish by the idiot's who just took molley and wondered around the parking lots.

Almost all of my summer plans involve me going to see MMJ...I went to Radio City, I'm going to Louisville, I'm going to Miami, then Philadelphia, then last stop MSG on NYE..

I would say i have a slight obsession...and yes sometimes my friends do role their eyes at me when I continue to bring up Jim James and his sexy swagger

Penny Lane

yeah but now since they're on the cover of every mag, i'm suddenly validated or something!! lol --people are like 'hey i saw that band you like--morningwood or my chemical jacket-big article in RS mag--can you burn me one of their discs?' which is cool but 5 min ago you thought i was a fruit loop

vespachick

Ha, it's so great! One of my bosses came into the office the other day and said, "hey, I didn't know all Vespa riding chicks love full metal jacket; I saw a Vespa over on Lovejoy street with a full metal jacket sticker!!"  Ya, that was mine.  At least he recognizes the "Jacket" part!

And when I drove my friends out to the hike this weekend and put in a cd (At Dawn), the response was "standard", "what a surprise".  Ha ha, suck it babies!!!! ;D ;D
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Haldon

What an awesome thread.  It always nice to know i'm not alone in this.

I get comments from friends and family constantly.  My folks were shocked when I told them that I was skipping bar exam classes and flying up to NY from Miami, for RCMH, "just to see a concert?" as they said.  My friends laughed when I told them about it, because "dude, their coming to Miami Beach in August, just wait until then."  When I told my folks that I was going back to NYC for to NYE concert all they could do was shake their heads and asked if going broke was worth it.  
I replied with one word, "yes"

I get various responses from people who ride in my car.  It ranges from, "not these guys again" to "you're obsessed."  

The good thing though, is that I have dragged many a virgin friend to some of their shows only to have my friends say to me, "wow, that was amazing."  Best was at RCHM after the show, my friend, who is somewhat of a music snob, but who's tastes I respect said to me, "THAT, is what a f---ing rock show should be like!"

And in even more exciting news, my love has spread to a few more of my friends who are studying abroad in Europe this summer.  As soon as I found out a few months ago that they would be in Amsterdamn the same time that MMJ was, I told them that they HAD to see the jacket there.  They were a little lazy getting tickets so one day i just said, "screw it" and went only to buy them 5 tickets to see the show.  They were shocked when the tickets were delivered, and so I then burnt them, "haldon's dream MMJ set list" and made them all copies of it.  Now they can't stop listening to it and are super stoked about the concert in a couple of days.

I still can't escape the taunts of my friend's calling me "My Haldon Jacket," and some make fun of the fact that I spend lots of time on a bands message forum, but at least some of them are beginning to understand why the love is there.  Case in point.  I got a hold of 3 FLOOR GA tickets to the NYE show and told a whole bunch of my friends that if they were interested they could have one of the tickets, and the response was overwhelming.  Now my only problem is deciding who to take.

Deflecting the Hate.  Spreading the Love. Thats it.

overthetop

Absoletely!!

It's worse than when I clued in to the Grateful dead two years too late.

I just want someone else I know to get it and want to talk about how good they are.

Actually I'm so obsessed I'm completely annoying myself.

This is the band I've been looking for my whole life.

Am I getting any rolling eyes among this community yet?

G

overthetop

I lent a friend my ipod and after he listened he started talking about how I was obsessed with a band called 'Rain Coat'

Love Dogg

Actually I'm so obsessed I'm completely annoying myself.

This is the band I've been looking for my whole life.

Am I getting any rolling eyes among this community yet?

Of course not...this is where we come to make sure we are normal...and we aren't!!!!!!!!! :D

I agree about this being the band I've been waiting my whole life for.  My favorite band was always The Band and I always preferred the music that of that era, and shit like that.  But that music, those bands were from another generation.  My Morning Jacket is mine.  They are my generation and I get to see them play live and I know what it feels like to wait for their records to come out, and I know that they share the same cosmic what-with-all that I do.  It's exciting!

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

overthetop

Wow, someone that wants to talk about MMJ with me!!!

Well I've never been accused of being normal.  :o

I agree completely with your comments lovedog. This is one of the first bands I have gotten completly wrapped up with from my generation. It is exciting isn't it?

Them and the Raconteurs have really spawned a rejuvinated exitement for Music with me.

Pretty lame being a deadhead when I became a fan in 1997.

And perhaps seeing Dylan 13 times since 1996 is a little much. ?  ;)

Can't wait for the NE show in NY. I have 101 tickets (best I could get at 10:05  :'(

G

DaFunkyPrecedent

My friend said i should have called my dog My Morning Jacket - that way I could have said My Morning Jacket all the time everyday.
God damn those shaky knees.

Erik26

I constantly get my balls busted about always listening to them and always talking about them. At the same time these people all end up asking me for more. HAHAHA more MMJ always!!!!!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

DaFunkyPrecedent

my friends have to much pride to ask for MMJ music.  If they didn't discover it, they can't listen to it.  
God damn those shaky knees.

TGMC421

Quotemy friends have to much pride to ask for MMJ music.  If they didn't discover it, they can't listen to it.  

ditto.   ::)  their loss!

Jon T.

This is kind of on subject.  My birthday was this past weekend and it was for my birthday that my wife agreed to the Louisville show.  My parents were in town over the weekend and for my present they said they were going to pay for our room in Louisville plus they gave me enough cash to pay for all we do that weekend.  All that I have left to pay for really is gas there and back, probably around $300.  A small price to pay for the magic that will happen.  Well, my brother came in town yesterday and he and his wife gave me and my wife a joint bday present.  It was a gift basket with snacks and a gas card with a stuffed kermit doll in it.  His card said "have fun at Kermit's Morning Jacket".  It looks like my entire trip is basically paid for by my family.  Easily the best birthday gifts ever.  

Penny Lane

QuoteThis is kind of on subject.  My birthday was this past weekend and it was for my birthday that my wife agreed to the Louisville show.  My parents were in town over the weekend and for my present they said they were going to pay for our room in Louisville plus they gave me enough cash to pay for all we do that weekend.  All that I have left to pay for really is gas there and back, probably around $300.  A small price to pay for the magic that will happen.  Well, my brother came in town yesterday and he and his wife gave me and my wife a joint bday present.  It was a gift basket with snacks and a gas card with a stuffed kermit doll in it.  His card said "have fun at Kermit's Morning Jacket".  It looks like my entire trip is basically paid for by my family.  Easily the best birthday gifts ever.  
wow--sounds like your fam is supporting your habit:-) congrats !! great gift!

Jbones72

I always seem to get ''Oh that band your into, The Jacket?"  

Similar to when I first started listening to Gram Parsons. I'd always get the "Who is this guy"? whenever I'd play him for friends!