Friends and family snickering about your MMJ love

Started by Zzzzzzzz, Jun 28, 2008, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

Yeah, every once and awhile, when I've got my earbuds in or the radio playing, one of my bosses will walk in and say, "Oh is that, uh, Morning Jacket?" It took about two years, but they've finally learned the name.

Converting them has been an entirely different issue, I'm afraid.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ms. yvon

QuoteThis is kind of on subject.  My birthday was this past weekend and it was for my birthday that my wife agreed to the Louisville show.  My parents were in town over the weekend and for my present they said they were going to pay for our room in Louisville plus they gave me enough cash to pay for all we do that weekend.  All that I have left to pay for really is gas there and back, probably around $300.  A small price to pay for the magic that will happen.  Well, my brother came in town yesterday and he and his wife gave me and my wife a joint bday present.  It was a gift basket with snacks and a gas card with a stuffed kermit doll in it.  His card said "have fun at Kermit's Morning Jacket".  It looks like my entire trip is basically paid for by my family.  Easily the best birthday gifts ever.  
wow!  no motorized tie rack or bad tie for you!  what a thoughtful and generous gesture from your family!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

EvilGirl

I'm a bit worried about myself actually, I have only been into the band for a matter of weeks, a couple of months ago I had not even heard of them, but during the last few weeks I have seen them live four times and will see them for the fifth time tomorrow night, I have met Carl and had his autograph framed, I have bought three of their cds and a dvd.  I have a picture of Jim as my screensaver at work, have had two t-shirts customised with the band's photo on and stay up late at night looking at youtube clips of the band. This cant be normal!  I think I might need medical help, I seem to be suffering from Jacket fever and am not sure if there is a cure!

Zzzzzzzz

Penny Lane

QuoteI'm a bit worried about myself actually, I have only been into the band for a matter of weeks, a couple of months ago I had not even heard of them, but during the last few weeks I have seen them live four times and will see them for the fifth time tomorrow night, I have met Carl and had his autograph framed, I have bought three of their cds and a dvd.  I have a picture of Jim as my screensaver at work, have had two t-shirts customised with the band's photo on and stay up late at night looking at youtube clips of the band. This cant be normal!  I think I might need medical help, I seem to be suffering from Jacket fever and am not sure if there is a cure!

yes, that's how it starts:-) don't worry, we won't make you drink the koolaid! congrats-you have stumbled upon something beautiful.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Love Dogg

Well, I have a great group of friends that get together every Monday night, usually to play Cornhole (no jokes please) or horseshoes or some other sort of low energy, but often competitive lawn game (Yahtzee if it's raining) to pass the time and bullshit the way we can't when our wives and girlfriends are around.  Lately, a couple of us have been jamming quite a bit, and everybody seems to like the music and the "sing-a-longs."

Anyway, I was the first one to arrive yesterday and was blasting 'Magheeta' as I pulled in.  I got out to get my guitar and beer out of the back of my vehicle and my buddy John pulls in blasting 'I'm Amazed!"  Right behind him, Donnie has got "Highly Suspicious" blaring, and I'll be damned if Mike didn't whip in right behind him with 'Bermuda Highway' from Acoustic Citsuoca playing!

Granted, they all give me a hard time about not shutting up about MMJ, but they all love 'em too, I guess, huh?

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

vespachick

I know I'm setting myself up for a boatload of snarkiness by some people ..... but I just made OBH my new ringtone on this fancy cell I can barely operate.

WAKIN' UP FEELIN' GOOD AND LIMBER WHEN THE TELEPHONE IT RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's pretty flippin awesome. :D
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

TGMC421

QuoteWell, I have a great group of friends that get together every Monday night, usually to play Cornhole (no jokes please) or horseshoes or some other sort of low energy, but often competitive lawn game (Yahtzee if it's raining) to pass the time and bullshit the way we can't when our wives and girlfriends are around.  Lately, a couple of us have been jamming quite a bit, and everybody seems to like the music and the "sing-a-longs."

Anyway, I was the first one to arrive yesterday and was blasting 'Magheeta' as I pulled in.  I got out to get my guitar and beer out of the back of my vehicle and my buddy John pulls in blasting 'I'm Amazed!"  Right behind him, Donnie has got "Highly Suspicious" blaring, and I'll be damned if Mike didn't whip in right behind him with 'Bermuda Highway' from Acoustic Citsuoca playing!

Granted, they all give me a hard time about not shutting up about MMJ, but they all love 'em too, I guess, huh?

You have spread the good word well!

overthetop

Being someone that tends to take things to the extreme (with sincerity of course) I always try to watch that I keep some things I'm passionate toned down.

People tend to want to hate things people seem to love too much.

This is one of those cases.

It will be much more fun to go see MMJ with my girlfriend if she likes them then if she becomes annoyed by me talking about them too much... Soooo long to go.

Looks like I might be making the Nashville and/or Phili show  in the iterim though!!!

Crispy

QuoteI know I'm setting myself up for a boatload of snarkiness by some people ..... but I just made OBH my new ringtone on this fancy cell I can barely operate.

WAKIN' UP FEELIN' GOOD AND LIMBER WHEN THE TELEPHONE IT RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's pretty flippin awesome. :D

That's cool! For a couple years, my ringtone has been the start of the closing section from Easy Morning Rebel - everybody loves when my phone rings!  :o
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

vespachick

So if you came over to my house and saw this hanging on my wall...Would THAT be considered TOO MUCH?  :-/ :-/

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jim-James-My-Morning-Jacket-Original-Oil-Painting-BURKE_W0QQitemZ250269340261QQihZ015QQcategoryZ60437QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

EDIT: in case you think I'm serious, Yes, I think this is too much.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Erik26

Thats an awesome painting. I have never been swallowed by a band like this. Just saw them for the first time and we got home from the 11 hour drive and ordered tickets for Seattle( 12 hour drive)!!!!! I am 26 and have payed attention to music since a very young age and there is nothing like this out there. I know what the Dead Heads must have gone through. Any tips for meeting the guys at a show?
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

weeniebeenie

We just went away for a few days and I played an MMJ mix in the car. Dad was tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to Lowdown. I told him to keep the cd. Hopefully he listens to it more.
How loud can silence get?

Love Dogg

QuoteWe just went away for a few days and I played an MMJ mix in the car. Dad was tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to Lowdown. I told him to keep the cd. Hopefully he listens to it more.

Hopefully it occurs to him, that there's one thing he can't stand.  That's the thought of one single day, without At Dawn in his hands!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Erik26

Good call lovedog. I had to put all their albums on Mp3 CD so I can have that in my car and them in my house. I seriously can't go anywhere without them. MMJ is the best drug out there!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

weeniebeenie

QuoteWe just went away for a few days and I played an MMJ mix in the car. Dad was tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to Lowdown. I told him to keep the cd. Hopefully he listens to it more.

Hopefully it occurs to him, that there's one thing he can't stand.  That's the thought of one single day, without At Dawn in his hands!
Haha, nice!
How loud can silence get?

Grateful Chabo

ive had a girlfriend for a year and she likes mmj but her eyes still roll when i put them, even though its everytime i get in my car
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

Love Dogg

QuoteTHE JACKET 4 LIFE!!!

I've got that tatooed across by belly!  :D

at dawn

I just became a member after reading this thread, I had to join....it's so nice to know I'm not the only one!  I've been a fan for a while, saw them on their Z tour, but I recently saw the dallas show (w/erykah) and it seriously CHANGED my life.  I'm completely obsessed.  My friend who I went to the show with lives about 3,000 miles away so I can't outwardly endulge on a daily basis.  my husband really likes the band, but was not at the recent show so he really doesn't "get it"....luckily tho we have tickets to the NYE show so I'm sure that'll do the trick!

But anyways, yes I know all about the eye-rolling, the "big surprise" when an MMJ song comes on, the snickering....and the inability to STOP watching youtube videos or the tireless efforts to find out as much as I can, no matter how seemingly irrelevant, about them.  thanks for letting me know it's ok to be a "f**ckin weirdo".   ;)