Friends and family snickering about your MMJ love

Started by Zzzzzzzz, Jun 28, 2008, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzzzzzzz

Anyone else experiencing this?  Every time I bring them up, I get the smirk or a chuckle along with a head shake from my wife down to my best friends.  Is it that odd for man in his 30's to be obsessed with a current band??

Pretty sure they are considering an intervention any day now.

Tony Two Tone

Nah fuck them....

everyone's gotta passion

and you've found yours!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I showed my friends that bonnaroo 04 dvd and two of them are total music snobs.  they're like "oh I hate music like this where blah blah blah".  stupid opinions, the rest of the people in the room were just watching because they fucking dug it.  in the end I found out that those two kids think my morning jacket is fucking awesome now and pretend like they discovered them, haha typical.  thought its funny, you really can't escape my morning jackets grasp once you experience one of those moments.  

ycartrob

my mother, for the life of her she's 76, cannot remember the name My Morning Jacket. A couple of years ago I told her that we were going to Atlanta to see My Monring Jacket, and she talked to my brother the next day and he told me she told him that we went to Atlanta to see My Sunday Socks.  true story

whyteand82nd

QuoteMy Sunday Socks.  

that'll be the name of my MMJ cover band
4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

bold99

my friends reaction when telling them i'm going to see MMJ at MSG on NYE..."who??????"
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

TheRoof

I too, get the 'oh shit-he's talking about them again' jargon from friends and families....and while some are annoyed by it, I believe most are either consciously or subconsciously impressed and in awe of someone who has SO much passion and eagerness regarding something that is sacred in a pretty bland (some say secular) world.  They can notice a 'light' light up when I talk about them......

...and hell, they deserve to 'preached' about at any given opportunity...they both have and will in the future literally save human lives with the music they have created....myself included (Strangualation)
You Are Everything

j_rud

I guess Im lucky, no one really gives me shit for it. Yesterday my father in law was asking about New Years and the trip Im making to Kentucky for the Louisville show (from Philadelphia) and he thought it was cool. "I followed Earth, Wind, and Fire around for awhile" was his response. I told him I think theres a fair chance they cover them on New Years lol.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

Zzzzzzzz

I'm hoping I can "convert" my wife during the NYE show.  She doesn't mind them, but that's all I have been playing for 6 months and she just hasn't ever "gotten" it.

DavidCrosby

....whenever my sister asks me what concert I am going to and I saw My Morning Jacket she can't understand why I go see them all the time....she thinks seeing someone once is enough, but shes never seen My Morning Jacket....and if you tell somebody about the band that has never heard of them before sometimes you get the snicker because of their name.....
listen to vinyl

Jahmazed

Haha, I can relate.  My girlfriend just said yesterday when I was talking about MMJ (again), "You're like a groupie or something".

;D

tenn

QuoteHaha, I can relate.  My girlfriend just said yesterday when I was talking about MMJ (again), "You're like a groupie or something".

;D
Ha. I was GOING to say that you guys are lucky cause you don't get called groupies, but I guess it's all around. When I was thinking about getting tickets for Tenn. and making the 'Nashville to Kentucky' trip with my friend my husband said " Your geting a little scary groupie on me".  

Luckily I've converted one of my good friends. My husband will admit that he likes them  (how could he not) but he's jealous of my undying love.

ms. yvon

this morning i was telling my friend about my trip to nyc to see the band last weekend.  she listened politely, but she was wearing the patient expression i give her when she's talking about her kids' pre-school activities.   ;D ;D

after years of familiarity with my tour habit, last march my i texted my editor from houston.  he replied with, "what band are you stalking now?"
;D (i was excited to tell him, "both my morning jacket AND wilco!")
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

TEO

Quotethis morning i was telling my friend about my trip to nyc to see the band last weekend.  she listened politely, but she was wearing the patient expression i give her when she's talking about her kids' pre-school activities.   ;D ;D

after years of familiarity with my tour habit, last march my i texted my editor from houston.  he replied with, "what band are you stalking now?"

Thanks for making me lol at 4:00 a.m. ms y!
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

TEO

More like my 80 yr. old father saying something like "when are you going to go see all of those weirdos you know in Kentucky" when I talk about meeting people from the boards.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

kymomandstuff

QuoteMore like my 80 yr. old father saying something like "when are you going to go see all of those weirdos you know in Kentucky" when I talk about meeting people from the boards.

We're not weird.

Are we? :-/
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Jahmazed

Quotethis morning i was telling my friend about my trip to nyc to see the band last weekend.  she listened politely, but she was wearing the patient expression i give her when she's talking about her kids' pre-school activities.   ;D ;D

Funny!  That's who I'm stalking too!  MMJ at Radio City and Wilco at Tanglewood..  great bands at great venues, you can't go wrong.  What an awesome summer for music!  And then MMJ is back in Boston in Sept!   :D

Crispy

I got it the other day telling my buddies about how I went to New York to see a show at Radio City...one asked who I saw, then slapped his forehead when I said My Morning Jacket, as he said, "Of course".  And telling my brother about the MMJ shows I'm going to this year, he said, "you're a Jackethead". True dat!  :D

Hey Yvon - speaking of Wilco, were you and Paul at the Montreal show in 2005 where MMJ opened for them? I think I remember seeing you guys there...maybe I'm just projecting. ;)
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Winterland

My buddy, who left the Bonnaroo '08 early, has actually stopped liking them because all I have done is talk about them/listen to them.

My wife also finds it strange for a guy in his 30's to be so "obsessed" with a band.

Oh well, their loss.

weeniebeenie

All of my family like them to a certain extent (except one of my sisters, who loves them as much as I do) so I can't complain. My parents really like Golden.
How loud can silence get?