NCAA Football count down! (updated)

Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

Moment of truth for Stephen Garcia coming up...first official start for the hyped freshman vs. LSU.  :-/
In another time, in another place, in another face

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjkoehler

Man Texas is thrashin that ass.  :-[

Angry Ewok

Man, that ol' Houston Nutt is crazy. They played smash mouth football like they said they would, had us trailing (by 3, mind you) for the first time this year, was the first team to score on us in the first half this year (by 3, but still), but more importantly, they took advantage of us being stupid. We drew a couple of absolutely stupid penalties, a celebration and a roughing passer, and once again after scoring a bunch of points unanswered, we coasted the second half and allowed the other team to stick around.

BAMA is scorching opponents in the first half - 112 to 3. But they've got a losing score in the second half. It's ridiculous. FINISH THE GAME!

It's a W, but it's bittersweet. We lost Terrance Cody to a knee injury, which allowed Ole Miss to open up a serious rushing game on us. They say Cody might be able recover non-surgical, but there's no official word, yet. Without that monster, the entire dynamic of our defense is changed.

Up next... Fat Phil.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

Embarrassed, Humbled, Depressed.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

QuoteEmbarrassed, Humbled, Depressed.
Hey, you feel like us Husker fans from a few weeks ago!  :P

EAZYE

QuoteEmbarrassed, Humbled, Depressed.

UGH BH that had to be hard to watch.  I hate to say because it goes against everything an OU fan should say, but Texas looks like they are the best team in the nation right now.  Crispy I'm looking to you guys to derail them which also is very hard for me to say as well ;D

OU needs a lot of help, but I'm still not pleased with our defense just yet.  Giving up 31 to Kansas at home is not what I wanted to see.  Albeit the last touchdown was meaningless.  
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

purvis9876

QuoteI think Texas can beat Missouri as long as the "defense" holds up as "well" as it did against Oklahoma in the first half. Since it's a home game, they'll have that crowd advantage against the no huddle, too... All that said, I think (and hope) Missouri will come away with the upset.

Is anyone else sick, though, that USC is going to be back in the Top 5 again, starting this Sunday? I can think of eight teams between the SEC and BIG 12 teams that could beat USC.

So what are your thoughts on the game tomorrow? Living in Oxford, I can assure you that the expectations are quite low around here.

But I'm an MSU fan anyway, so FUCK EM' UP!  ;D

A Mississippi State fan living in Oxford? How long did it take you to get used to the electricity and indoor plumbing?  ;)

Haha... If I had a nickel.....  ;D
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

Angry Ewok

Good news for Alabama - 6'5, 380 pound Terrance Cody is nonsurgical, and might be ready to play in two weeks, in time for the LSU matchup. Cody has been instrumental in key plays on both lines. In honor of #62, here are some pretty awesome clips of the beast in action...

Here's what he looks like on offense on goal line scenarios:
[media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxNvw_OS4lw[/media]

On defense, he takes on two or three offensive linemen at the same time:
[media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUE3Ys-qf6M[/media]

This is why you've got to double team him - he throws 300 pound centers like rag dolls:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMy2x7yY2q8&feature=related[/media]

This is his first year at Alabama and he's already predicted to go as a first round. We wish he would stay, but how can you expect someone like him to stay on a college level? I'm just glad his knee is going to be okay - my heart just sank when we saw him go down, this weekend.

Penny Lane

we have a huge game on sat against PSU. i'll be happy either way because if we lose, PSU has a cake schedule from here out and they'll get a shot at the championship. (i'm assuming everyone else will have one loss other than TX!) if we win, i'm predicting a Tx-Fl bowl game.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Crispy

Heck penny, if Ohio State beats Penn State, they could be in the national champeenship game with some help from USC and Alabama, and all those Big 12 teams should beat each other up enough. Texas might not lose again, but I think OU will, and I know Tech will, and let's not think about the other one. I think the thing that hurts Ohio State (or whoever from the Big 10) is that they end their season too early - they only have 3 games left and they're done the week before Thanksgiving! Meanwhile, for the next 2 weeks after that, the other top teams can impress the voters and move further up. Then, if they do back into the championship, it's been 6 weeks since their last game and they've forgotten how to play football.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

QuoteHeck penny, if Ohio State beats Penn State, they could be in the national champeenship game with some help from USC and Alabama, and all those Big 12 teams should beat each other up enough. Texas might not lose again, but I think OU will, and I know Tech will, and let's not think about the other one. I think the thing that hurts Ohio State (or whoever from the Big 10) is that they end their season too early - they only have 3 games left and they're done the week before Thanksgiving! Meanwhile, for the next 2 weeks after that, the other top teams can impress the voters and move further up. Then, if they do back into the championship, it's been 6 weeks since their last game and they've forgotten how to play football.

i just don't see how we'd get picked over a 1 loss big 12 team--(w/our USC beatdown and our past history in bowl games and the general notion that we're overrated)--i can see some other teams making a run for it (bama etc)*for the first time in a few years, i see no way we'd be going so i'm still hoping for a rose bowl assuming we can hang on for the next few games. i can also see us stepping up our game for PSU then getting beaten by Northwestern---cue flashback!!  :-X  i think we need to go back to our 2 QB system, also. pryor has lost confidence and  even though he's got all the potential in the world, he'slimited to a few moves right now (luckily one of them is running in TDs LOL)

Angry Ewok

I agree, I've also been thinking the National Title game will be between the SEC Champion and the BIG 12 Champion.

I'm not following the guys out west close enough to predict who will represent their conference, but I'm not as sure as everyone else that Texas can run the table, though. Oklahoma State has looked pretty damn good.

As far as the SEC...

Alabama is +1 in the West. Florida and Georgia are tied in the East. Alabama really needs Georgia to put LSU away, this weekend, so that we'll have a +2 gain and the ability to lose in Death Valley, or anywhere else, but still able to represent the Division. Or, Alabama could just beat LSU at Death Valley.

I'm thinking Alabama v. Florida... and the winner brings home the SEC's third consecutive National Title.

Angry Ewok

By the way, did anyone else see that LSU referee tackle South Carolina's quarterback?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXgrpLKAtDk[/media]

Penny Lane

QuoteI agree, I've also been thinking the National Title game will be between the SEC Champion and the BIG 12 Champion.

I'm not following the guys out west close enough to predict who will represent their conference, but I'm not as sure as everyone else that Texas can run the table, though. Oklahoma State has looked pretty damn good.

As far as the SEC...

Alabama is +1 in the West. Florida and Georgia are tied in the East. Alabama really needs Georgia to put LSU away, this weekend, so that we'll have a +2 gain and the ability to lose in Death Valley, or anywhere else, but still able to represent the Division. Or, Alabama could just beat LSU at Death Valley.

I'm thinking Alabama v. Florida... and the winner brings home the SEC's third consecutive National Title.

i can see that game, too---i just don't see OSU putting away Tx though--they look way too strong

Crispy

I agree the cards are stacked against Ohio St., but all it really takes in the BCS is to get the computers on your side, a couple of impressive wins down the stretch, and some help. A win over Penn State would vault OSU way up in the puters, and wins over Northwestern, Illinois, and a smackdown on Big Blue would put the Buckeyes right back on top. That, and OU, USC, and 2 Bama losses, of course. I'm not saying I want that to happen, but it could.

As for the OSU ;), if you like the Cowboys' chances in Austin, you haven't seen the recent history between these two. We are seriously snakebit against the Horns recently - 3 of Texas' 5 largest comebacks in their history have come against OSU, and just in the last 4 years: 21 pts in 2007, 19 pts in 2005, and 28 pts in 2004. That one was in Austin, OSU led 35-7 in the first half, and Texas score 49 unanswered points to win 56-35. I would dearly love to see OSU quit doing this, but I don't think this is the year. If we get out to a lead on them again, I'm going to turn off the tv and go rake leaves - I will not be able to watch another OSU meltdown.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Angry Ewok

Three-way tie with the Big 12 South, though...

EAZYE

QuoteThree-way tie with the Big 12 South, though...

it would then go to highest bcs ranking
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Crispy

QuoteThree-way tie with the Big 12 South, though...

it would then go to highest bcs ranking

You're right, EZ - although one of the earlier tiebreakers would probably come into effect in the unlikely event of all having 2 losses. I think last year it would have used the Coaches poll instead of the BCS. Here's what Tim Griffin had to say, which he got from the Big 12 media guide:

Big 12 divisional tiebreakers: The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative
(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step,
the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
1. The records of the three teams will be compared against each other;
2. The records of the three teams will be compared within their division;
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division
in order of finish (4, 5 and 6);
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents;
5. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series standings following the completion of Big 12 regular season
conference play shall be the representative;
6. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative;
7. The representative will be chosen by draw.