NCAA Football count down! (updated)

Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

Quotei would do 8 teams--each division should have a playoff game--no more of this winning your conference but not making it to the championship (or vice versa) it's so doable but like everything else, it's about $$

OK, so 8 teams.  Next question.  Where will you play the games?  Neutral sites at existing bowl locations?

This is what I'm getting at.  Say Ohio State makes into the 8 team playoff.   Week 1 is in Florida, if they win, Week 2 is in New Orleans and if they win again, the championship is in Pasadena.   How many games are you going to go to?   Who's going to buy tickets to week two in New Orleans before they find out if there team is going to make it there?   Locals?  Yes, I'm sure many thousands of locals will pay, but do you want to see Ohio State play Utah, with 60,000 neutral local observers and the schools bands in attendance?  How many diehard OSU fans will take 2+ weeks off work around the holidays and travel across the country for three games?

I'm sure there is an answer somewhere, but that's what I'm looking for.  Good ideas.  Bring 'em on.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

Quotei would do 8 teams--each division should have a playoff game--no more of this winning your conference but not making it to the championship (or vice versa) it's so doable but like everything else, it's about $$

OK, so 8 teams.  Next question.  Where will you play the games?  Neutral sites at existing bowl locations?

This is what I'm getting at.  Say Ohio State makes into the 8 team playoff.   Week 1 is in Florida, if they win, Week 2 is in New Orleans and if they win again, the championship is in Pasadena.   How many games are you going to go to?   Who's going to buy tickets to week two in New Orleans before they find out if there team is going to make it there?   Locals?  Yes, I'm sure many thousands of locals will pay, but do you want to see Ohio State play Utah, with 60,000 neutral local observers and the schools bands in attendance?  How many diehard OSU fans will take 2+ weeks off work around the holidays and travel across the country for three games?

I'm sure there is an answer somewhere, but that's what I'm looking for.  Good ideas.  Bring 'em on.

OSU fans TRAVEL anywhere at any time. haven't you heard?!! we are notorious for that. fans would travel for game no 1 and if they go on, fans would just buy tix on the spot. it could work and maybe it would work similar to other sports--they figure out who gets home field advantage for each game down to the last game--neutral site--it could be worked out. we can figure out a polio vaccine but we can't figure this out? lol as for them worrying about players classes being disrupted, well that's just ridiculous. it's not like northwestern or notre dame would make it anyway :-) plus it would just extend the season a few extra weeks and they'd be playing over the holidays or what not. DO IT>.....
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

aMillionDreams

If it was a game in a tournament that determined the National Championship, OSU could sell out any stadium in the country in under a week (with the help of the other team's fans and locals, of course).

And I don't care if they play the games in my backyard.  A four or eight team tourney is going to be exponentially better than a two team "tournament".  

And there will ALWAYS be discussion about what teams deserve to get in, it happens every year during March Madness and they pick 65 teams!  Every year someone has a major, often legitimate gripe.  So what do they do: throw up their hands and say "let's just let the number one and number two team play each other and call it a day". No, they play the games and it is the most popular sporting event in the country outside of the Superbowl!

Anyone who thinks that there is no playoff in college football because it makes the season more compelling has the wool pulled over their eyes.  It's about money, not competition or the fans, money and money alone.  And since we're talking about BIG money it probably won't ever change.

That combined with the money the schools, corporate sponsors, and coaches make off of the unpaid players has me thinking I'm not going to be watching College football anymore unless OSU has a big game or I need something on in the background on Saturday.  >:(
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ycartrob

QuoteIf it was a game in a tournament that determined the National Championship, OSU could sell out any stadium in the country in under a week (with the help of the other team's fans and locals, of course).

And I don't care if they play the games in my backyard.  A four or eight team tourney is going to be exponentially better than a two team "tournament".  

And there will ALWAYS be discussion about what teams deserve to get in, it happens every year during March Madness and they pick 65 teams!  Every year someone has a major, often legitimate gripe.  So what do they do: throw up their hands and say "let's just let the number one and number two team play each other and call it a day". No, they play the games and it is the most popular sporting event in the country outside of the Superbowl!

Anyone who thinks that there is no playoff in college football because it makes the season more compelling has the wool pulled over their eyes.  It's about money, not competition or the fans, money and money alone.  And since we're talking about BIG money it probably won't ever change.

That combined with the money the schools, corporate sponsors, and coaches make off of the unpaid players has me thinking I'm not going to be watching College football anymore unless OSU has a big game or I need something on in the background on Saturday.  >:(

so Dylan, I take it you're not going to be watching the GMAC Bowl tonight?  :-?

aMillionDreams

QuoteIf it was a game in a tournament that determined the National Championship, OSU could sell out any stadium in the country in under a week (with the help of the other team's fans and locals, of course).

so Dylan, I take it you're not going to be watching the GMAC Bowl tonight?  :-?

There's probably of a better chance of me watching that game than the "national championship", actually.

I'm probably just pouting because my team lost, btw, but I wouldn't take back what I said.  Am I wrong?  AM I WRONG?!

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Jon T.

Quote Am I wrong?  AM I WRONG?!

No Walter, you're just an asshole.

;D

aMillionDreams

Quote Am I wrong?  AM I WRONG?!

No Walter, you're just an asshole.

;D

Okay, then.  

;D

Ruckus

Quotei think OK is in for a BAD thrashing/FL and USC are unstoppable

Well, I got the Sooners 42-31.  Shall see.....  You guys may be right about the Big 12 but I'm feeling this.  I know Harvin is healthy but...

Anyways, I say thanks to OSU for showing the Big Ten is somewhat for real but I do feel like with the talent that OSU has, perhaps some more creative coaching just might make the difference.  
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

EAZYE

QuoteOle Miss kicked that Texas Tech ass.

Bama, on the other hand...

My Big 12 bias thought Tech would beat your rebels by at least 10, so congrats on a good win.  Looks like Mr. Nutt has done some good.

BH, and MJ way to represent the conference.  Crispy why did you guys have to let us down? :-?

I hope we don't have what happened to Alabama happen to us.  We are going to be missing our version of Percy Harvin on Thursday night.  I'm getting kind of nervous, either way it should be a great game.  If anyone else wants to pull for my Sooners it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Eric
I am gonna' swallow some major crow and root for OU. GO SOONERS!!!

That's the spirit TEO!
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

mjkoehler

QuoteOle Miss kicked that Texas Tech ass.

Bama, on the other hand...

My Big 12 bias thought Tech would beat your rebels by at least 10, so congrats on a good win.  Looks like Mr. Nutt has done some good.

BH, and MJ way to represent the conference.  Crispy why did you guys have to let us down? :-?

I hope we don't have what happened to Alabama happen to us.  We are going to be missing our version of Percy Harvin on Thursday night.  I'm getting kind of nervous, either way it should be a great game.  If anyone else wants to pull for my Sooners it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Eric
I am gonna' swallow some major crow and root for OU. GO SOONERS!!!

That's the spirit TEO!
I have to agree. As much as its a moral objection to cheer for the "dirt burglers", I gots to keep it in the Big 12.

capt. scotty

I wish I had some money bc Id drop the bank on Florida
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Great game so far 20 minutes in....7 UP
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

What a muthasexin' 1st half....this game is teh shit!!

BH

This has been quite the battle.  I loved this season and I'd like to see an exciting finish.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

QuoteThis has been quite the battle.  I loved this season and I'd like to see an exciting finish.

Thanks for making me feel like I wasnt talking to myself in this post  ;D ;D

BH

REd Wine and HD championship NCAA football baby!  With thoughts of EPs dancing in my head! :)

BH

I feel like OU may have missed there chance to grab a lead early in this game.

capt. scotty

QuoteREd Wine and HD championship NCAA football baby!  With thoughts of EPs dancing in my head! :)

Im old school...

Early Times bourbon and a 10 year old TV

Go Gators!!! (only because I parlayed the Gators with the under...at least I know I got the under)

BH

Ohh, I think I'd rather be with you for the whiskey.  Screw the pixels.

Nice bet, lookin' good so far although this might go down to a field goal.