The Official March Madness Thread

Started by primushead, Mar 11, 2009, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Well, I was way off with these late games being close, but whatever  ;D

Mizzou looks tough though. Itll be interesting to see how they can score in the halfcourt set vs. Thabeet.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Well, an interesting first half of the Sweet 16.  I know there are some Tigers fans around here that are more knowledgeable about them but I felt good about this team and have them going to the Final Four.  I knew they had the depth and energy to play with Memphis for 40 minutes.  Now I wish I just took them straight up.

As for Duke, expected though not such a crazy differential.  

I never made a play on Pitt and I'm glad I didn't.  I still didn't have a read on the game.  Man I love Levance Fields.  Me being a short, stocky PG growing up, much love. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ehhh, Purdue actually played well I thought but just didn't have what it took down low.

So for 2morrow my picks:

UNC -8.5
MSU -1.5
Cuse +1
Zona +9

Thoughts?

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Well, I went 3 for 3 tonight with the UCONN game being the only 1 I didnt bet on.

Tomorrow's games lines dont look near as appealing to me.

I was going to take Oklahoma -1, but since I picked them for the Elite 8 in my brackets, Im thinking about taking the Orange so no matter who wins, I wont be too pissed. I realize Oklahoma is basically a 1 man team, but I dont see Cuse stopping Griffin and IMO its hard going into a game knowing youre in reality down 25 points already.

Arizona is intriguing, but they have that rookie coach and I think if you give Pitino 5 days to gameplan, it wont end up good if you're not as good as his team. I think that game ends up right around the spread with Louisville winning by 8-12 points.

Kansas/MSU I have no idea on. I doubted Kansas but theyve looked good thus far, and MSU reminds me of Pitt with their play. Should be a close, low scoring game that either team could win. I might go with Kansas and a hot Aldrich though.

Look at what I said for the Louisville game, and its almost ditto for UNC/Zags - except more because of the player's talent discrepancy than the coaches. I cant see Zags winning this, but I can see them making it interesting late after UNC was up big most of the game (kind of like Mizzou/Memphis). I dont think Gonzaga has the firepower to hang, but its still a big spread.

Yeah, I didnt make a pick pretty much because like I said, for the most part, I dont like these spreads   ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuoteWell, I went 3 for 3 tonight with the UCONN game being the only 1 I didnt bet on.

Tomorrow's games lines dont look near as appealing to me.

I was going to take Oklahoma -1, but since I picked them for the Elite 8 in my brackets, Im thinking about taking the Orange so no matter who wins, I wont be too pissed. I realize Oklahoma is basically a 1 man team, but I dont see Cuse stopping him and IMO its hard going into a game knowing youre in reality down 25 points already.

Arizona is intriguing, but they have that rookie coach and I think if you give Pitino 5 days to gameplan, it wont end up good if you're not as good as his team. I think that game ends up right around the spread with Louisville winning by 8-12 points.

Kansas/MSU I have no idea on. I doubted Kansas but theyve looked good thus far, and MSU reminds me of Pitt with their play. Should be a close, low scoring game that either team could win. I might go with Kansas and a hot Aldrich though.

Look at what I said for the Louisville game, and its almost ditto for UNC/Zags - except more because of the player's talent discrepancy than the coaches. I cant see Zags winning this, but I can see them making it interesting late after UNC was up big most of the game (kind of like Mizzou/Memphis). I dont think Gonzaga has the firepower to hang, but its still a big spread.

Yeah, I didnt make a pick pretty much because like I said, for the most part, I dont like these spreads   ;D

Nice job man.  I'll take my 2 for 3

I kind of like these lines but we'll see.  I'm sure we'll see better games than tonight for sure.

primushead

I love seeing Memphis get beat while having 102 laid on them...

and ESPECIALLY love seeing dook get trounced by 23 points!!!  I just hope UNC can take care of business against the Zags tomorrow.

capt. scotty

Well, I like the Orange/Sooner and MSU/Kansas spreads because tight spreads can obviously go either way. I definitely havent seen enough of the latter teams though, and IMO Syracuse being hot vs. Oklahoma having the dominant POY basically trump each other. So Im having trouble picking a team there if I do make a bet.

I wouldnt touch those other spread though. They scream me losing money because some fucker got fouled in an 8 point game with 1.3 seconds left, he sinks them, and I lose.

Ruckus

QuoteI love seeing Memphis get beat while having 102 laid on them...

and ESPECIALLY love seeing dook get trounced by 23 points!!!  I just hope UNC can take care of business against the Zags tomorrow.

Well, this is the most talented and balanced Zags team I've seen.  That said, I'm not sure they have the inside toughness or depth to hang for 20+ minutes.  Like I felt with Pitt tonight (incorrectly so), I feel like UNC will have their A game tomorrow or tonight I guess.  Damn I hate rooting for the Heels >:(

capt. scotty

Yeah, neither of those scenarios I wouldve expected to transpire.

I love seeing Coach Hitler and his fruity nazis get blown out as well. Who wouldve though a #2 seed Duke team would be held to 50 points?!

As soon as I saw the bracket, I thought the 3 seeds looked tougher overall because Duke and Mich St seemed like weak 2 seeds whereas all of the 3 seeds seemed legit.

Unless youre a gambling man, I wouldnt worry at all about the Zags tomorrow. It will be interesting seeing how Lawson's health is though

capt. scotty

Well, this is the most talented and balanced Zags team I've seen.  That said, I'm not sure they have the inside toughness or depth to hang for 20+ minutes.  Like I felt with Pitt tonight (incorrectly so), I feel like UNC will have their A game tomorrow or tonight I guess.  Damn I hate rooting for the Heels >:(

Heytvelt can ball (and shroom  ;D), but no one else on that team tells me they have a turd's chance in a toilet to win that game tomorrow.

In retrospect, almost makes me think the Hilltoppers should be playing tomorrow.

BH

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

m    i    z
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ycartrob

tower

Squiggy...that's a good one.  I like it.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

ycartrob

QuoteSquiggy...that's a good one.  I like it.

tower

They've been drinking too much blue Kool-aid if they think they're going to get Izzo.  
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

Oklahoma is going to be tough to beat

This MSU/Kansas game is entertaining

tower

Whew!!  Well I do have to say, I'm really looking forward to Izzo v. Pitino.  UL is playing monster ball right now and all I hope is that both teams play well...none of this 25% shooting night or just bad play that isn't really due to the other team.  I've always wanted to see how a good Izzo team plays against a good Pitino team and either way I want to see both teams throw their best blows.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

what a chokejob by Kansas. Makes sense though since they apparently have nobody besides Collins and Aldrich.

kudos to Kalin Lucas though. Just like Fields hitting that 3 last night, I think his And 1 sealed a game that otherwise they probably wouldve lost if he doesnt hit it. Plus going 7/7 from the line over the last minute doesnt hurt

MSU ruined another perfect betting night though. Sooners at -1 felt too good too pass up, and it turned out so. After seeing both Louisville an Oklahoma dominate their games, I felt comfortable taking UNC at -8 and that held true. I thought at worst Kansas +2 was going to en up a push until there was like 20 seconds left. Damnit  >:(

Sooners/Heels should be a barnburner

Lousiville getting that overall #1 is looking real good for them because IMO theyre the only team I think has a very slim chance of losing and not getting to the Final 4. Sorry tower.

ycartrob

GGG, I have heard what Dick and Jay and Bobby and Hubert etc...
have all said about the OU/NC match-up and Hansboro vs. Griffin, but what say you?

tower

Dick and Digger are both idiots that can't make a solid analysis between them half the time.  Dick is so partial to the Heels he couldn't help but pick them.  Digger picked against MSU again which makes my day.  He's still bitter MSU put his #1 seed Notre Who? out  of the '79 tourney.

I used to respect Jay Bilas more but man he was on the Hansbrough bandwagon so hard last year it was silly.  The guy plays hard and I respect that but don't make it more than what it is!

Haven't seem Bobby Knight's comments yet, too busy watching Barney with my 2 year old...yay.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

QuoteDick and Digger are both idiots that can't make a solid analysis between them half the time.  Dick is so partial to the Heels he couldn't help but pick them.  Digger picked against MSU again which makes my day.  He's still bitter MSU put his #1 seed Notre Who? out  of the '79 tourney.

I havent watched too much NCAA this year, but Dickie V seemed Duke thru and thru whenever I saw him before

I guess he's ACC thru and thru moreso than Duke specifically, but he always seems to be on the Dookie wagon.

Both him and Digger are mostly blowhards, but they do throw in some intellect here an there. Their predictions arent worth shit though.