Chicago Marathon -- 2009

Started by mjkoehler, May 02, 2009, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

As some of you know, I am running the '09 Chicago Marathon. I used to run a lot a few years ago and had to take some much needed time off due to knee surgery. Well I started back up and it feels fucking great. I feel better physically and it's helping me clear my head.

I am running it for myself, because on old friend dared me too (I never could say no to her), and for an great charity. Rock for Reading (www.rockforreading.org) is a great organization helping to raise awareness to the alarming rise in illiteracy and helping promote literacy through the power of ROCK!

I have established a site for peeps to make donations for those that would like. Some of you I have already sent an email on this but I want to reach a nice broad audience. If you can donate that is AWESOME, but if you can't that's ok. If you are in the Chicago area, come on out October 11 and cheer everyone on. Maybe a small Board meet up since the ever cool Alady and Taterbug are residents? Certainly if there are any other members running, please come out come out wherever you are.

Oh and to sweeten this deal, I can post a video of me playing a song or 2 on the acoustic when I make me goal. I'm no Tom E, but I've been practicing and wrote a song that is ok.

Mike

http://www.active.com/donate/R4R09/mjk73

BH

I'm in on Monday!  Will it take paypal?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

It's a direct cc/payment I believe. I can also do offline ones.

aMillionDreams

Good luck, Mike!  No way I could make it at this point, but it's on the bucket list.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ycartrob

I have always wanted to hear an unplugged version of Walk   ;)

mjkoehler

QuoteI have always wanted to hear an unplugged version of Walk   ;)
I actually can play it....other then the solo. Sounds pretty bad ass acoustically. Hmmmm, I may have to thrown that in.  ;)

mjkoehler

Love Dogg

Play on , Playa!  You are a saint!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

dragonboy

Bump! Still time to make your donations & support our good man Mike!

All the best chief, much respect  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

Thanks to everyone who have donated. I will try to do all you peeps proud in 2 weeks.

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ALady

Somehow I missed the fact that you were doing this for charity!  Well done, mjk.   :)  

I'm gonna make a giant RUN THRU! sign for ya   ;)

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

mjkoehler

Awesome! Near Wrigleyville right? Need to know where to look for it.

ALady

Probably all over the course, actually - my best friend is running it too, so we're going to try to catch her at a couple different places.  Probably mile 8, 15, 21, and the finish?  What's your pace?

mjkoehler

I'm running about 10 min miles.

BH

QuoteI'm running about 10 min miles.

I could do that......[size=8]on a bike........if someone was chasing me in a car........and it was all downhill.[/size]

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

QuoteProbably all over the course, actually - my best friend is running it too, so we're going to try to catch her at a couple different places.  Probably mile 8, 15, 21, and the finish?  What's your pace?
plus my foolish self booked a return flight at 6PM so I have to be motivated to finish with a good time, get the hell out of the chaos that will be the park shortly after finishing, head back to my friends to shower and consumer my body weight in homemade gellato apparently, and hit O'hare. Why did I not pick a flight next day  :-/

Penny Lane

QuoteProbably all over the course, actually - my best friend is running it too, so we're going to try to catch her at a couple different places.  Probably mile 8, 15, 21, and the finish?  What's your pace?
plus my foolish self booked a return flight at 6PM so I have to be motivated to finish with a good time, get the hell out of the chaos that will be the park shortly after finishing, head back to my friends to shower and consumer my body weight in homemade gellato apparently, and hit O'hare. Why did I not pick a flight next day  :-/

I am so excited for you. even better if ALady can spot you there!

ALady-you need to make a MOF sign so he'll see you (and so you can support the album)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ALady

Ah, but just think, you'll be at home sleeping in your own bed that same night.  I think you'll be thankful for that!

Penny, right now I'm torn between doing a Run Thru/They Ran sign...maybe one on each side?   :-?  I'd do a MoF sign, but I'm not getting strong "running" vibes from the album....  ;)

I kinda like "Slow Down Ko" for a slogan...but I don't think that's the message I'm trying to convey   ;D

Soulshine

Ah, but just think, you'll be at home sleeping in your own bed that same night.  I think you'll be thankful for that!

Penny, right now I'm torn between doing a Run Thru/They Ran sign...maybe one on each side?   :-?  I'd do a MoF sign, but I'm not getting strong "running" vibes from the album....  ;)

I kinda like "Slow Down Ko" for a slogan...but I don't think that's the message I'm trying to convey   ;D

Whole Lotta Losin and Losin Yo Head are good running songs for me, however I dont think "Losin" would be a good theme either.
Because we're all in this together...