Contact lenses....help!

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, Oct 27, 2009, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

A strange request I know.......

My daughter wants to start wearing daily contact lenses (she is 16). Looking at all the different makes and prices is making the choice difficult.

Can anyone with experience of wearing them on a daily basis recommend a particular manufacturer or brand? Obviously they have basic ones or ones with extra moisture / extra comfort. Are these best? Or is it just another marketing ploy?

Who uses what?
Paulie W

capt. scotty

I use the Focus "Night & Days" and I would never go back.

Theyre FDA approved to leave in your eyes for 30 days without ever taking them out (only contacts I think like this). I know when I first got different contacts around her age, I was lazy and wouldnt take them out every night - with these, you dont have that problem.

I actually probably wear mine 2-3 months before changing them (i.e. losing one bc it falls out), and just went to the Doc a few months back and said everything still looks good and prescribed me the same contacts since everything was working so well.

I dont recommend dailies because theyre more expensive. Night & Days are $140 for a 6 month supply. Not terrible, but based on how long I wear mine, its more like $140 for 16-18months worth, which is not bad at all.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

First of all, I would recommend that she see an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist.  She'll get a much more thorough examination at the ophthalmologist; they have better diagnostic tools.  Just as an example, I'd been going to the same optometrist for years and he diagnosed me with glaucoma  ::) He sent me to an ophthalmologist, who was able to do a more precise test and disprove the diagnosis.

I think different brands work better for different needs.  I have astigmatism in one of my eyes and had to experiment with a few different brands of contacts before I found one that was comfortable.  At the first examination they will likely send her home with a few different pairs to try so she can see how she likes them.  

I've always worn the daily kind and haven't had any problems with them.  I've had to experiment with a few different cleaning/saline solutions too, but once you find something that works they're really not much trouble at all.  
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

MarkW

Hey Paulie - you're in the UK, are you not?

I use Focus daily disposables by Ciba vision.  They're not at all eco-friendly  :-[ but they are the thinnest and most comfortable ones I've ever used.  I used to have monthly disposables, but as I only wear them once/twice a week, the dailies worked out cheaper and were far less hassle.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Love Dogg

When I was graduating high school, several people went down to Panama City Beach.  [size=9]I know, I know....[/size]  But anyway, one of the fellas wanted to go to one of those clubs, like Club Lavila[size=9](sp?) [/size]or Spinakers[size=9](sp?) [/size]or something, and naturally I didn't want to go.  Neither did anyone else.  But he finally came back to the hotel later that night and was talking about how much pot was being smoked in the place.  My buddy said, "Wow...you probly got a contact buzz then, huh?"  And the guy said, "No...I don't wear contacts."   :-?  True story.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

AlwxanderD10

QuoteWhen I was graduating high school, several people went down to Panama City Beach.  [size=9]I know, I know....[/size]  But anyway, one of the fellas wanted to go to one of those clubs, like Club Lavila[size=9](sp?) [/size]or Spinakers[size=9](sp?) [/size]or something, and naturally I didn't want to go.  Neither did anyone else.  But he finally came back to the hotel later that night and was talking about how much pot was being smoked in the place.  My buddy said, "Wow...you probly got a contact buzz then, huh?"  And the guy said, "No...I don't wear contacts."   :-?  True story.
hahaha wow  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D