The College Football Thread

Started by rccola71, Sep 03, 2009, 09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

I almost thought Penn St was going to blow that game. Great game, just like I thought it would be. Outside of the defense getting lazy after going up 16-3 and giving up consecutive TD drives to LSU with missed tackles galore, Penn St really dominated the rest of the game. That, I did not expect. #5 recruiting class going into yesterday, and I think this win could really help get a few more somewhat highly regarded players.

...and how bout the Big Ten?? People ripping on it all year, yet PSU beats LSU, tOSU beats Oregon, Wisconsin beats Miami, and Northwestern throws for 530 yards on Auburn and loses to them in OT. Already a great showing for the conference, but if Iowa beats Georgia Tech I think the Big Ten proves that in 2009 when they were supposed to be soft, theyre just about as good as any conference in the nation.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Angry Ewok

Those were all very good games. I was rooting against Tennessee, and I was hoping Auburn would get beat, too... would have made for some awesome sports radio, Monday afternoon.

I don't know about anyone else, but Urban Meyer struck me as pretty flippin' classless, last night. The Bearcats sort of earned the asswhipping they got, though - I saw a lot of personal fouls that went uncalled.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

capt. scotty

I quit watching that game about halfway thru the 2nd quarter so Im not sure how classless Urb' was. It would seem they ran the score up on them though.

I kind of thought Cinci might come out fired up to prove Kelly wrong or something, but yeah, no so much.

Ridiculous game by Tebow...I have a feeling someone will give him a shot to do something at QB despite his flaws
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Congrats Hawkeye!

I know you know I hate Iowa, but even I was rooting for them last night. Cant believe they held GT to really only 2 substantial drives the entire game, quite impressive.

Top 4 teams in teh Big Ten all win. Yep.

Angry Ewok

BH

QuoteTonight. It's on.

I haven't been this excited about a college football championship in a long time.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

Ive kind of thought Bama would win fairly easily, but I think Texas could give them a tough game.

Id expect it to come down to how well Texas can control Bama's run game

capt. scotty

Watched the game on delay...glad I watched the whole game, but talk about anticlimactic....1 of my best friends is a Bama alumni, and Im happy for him and Bama, but guaran-fuckin-tee it he wont be able to talk shit about winning the NC because as soon as he says it, I say "COLT McCOY"

Ended up being a very good game, but it couldve been so much more

corey

While I do think that it would have been a different game if McCoy had played, I have 4 words for you.    Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson.
Not only did we have ONE player bust a hundred yards against the number one rush defense, we had TWO players bust it...and Ingram didn't even play most of the 3rd quarter.

Big props to Texas for not laying down in the 2nd half. That showed a lot of guts. I wish Bama hadn't played it so conservative until the 4th quarter because my nerves got bad there for a while. But I think Gilbert will do some great things for Texas in the coming years. He just couldn't make it happen against our defense when it counted.

BH

Congrats Corey, Brad and Meg!   College National Championships don't come around very often so enjoy it!

I do wish the injury wouldn't have happened for the sake of both teams.  It's the one black mark on an otherwise fantastic game.  What a shame for McCoy.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

QuoteThose were all very good games. I was rooting against Tennessee, and I was hoping Auburn would get beat, too... would have made for some awesome sports radio, Monday afternoon.

I don't know about anyone else, but Urban Meyer struck me as pretty flippin' classless, last night. The Bearcats sort of earned the asswhipping they got, though - I saw a lot of personal fouls that went uncalled.

I love it when a dude whose team is coached by Saban can call another coach classless ;D ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

...and how bout the Big Ten?? People ripping on it all year, yet PSU beats LSU, tOSU beats Oregon, Wisconsin beats Miami, and Northwestern throws for 530 yards on Auburn and loses to them in OT. Already a great showing for the conference, but if Iowa beats Georgia Tech I think the Big Ten proves that in 2009 when they were supposed to be soft, theyre just about as good as any conference in the nation.

Yeah, it was quite the performance by the Big Ten this year.  They did us proud, particularly the Illini >:(

Ruckus

QuoteCongrats Corey, Brad and Meg!   College National Championships don't come around very often so enjoy it!

I do wish the injury wouldn't have happened for the sake of both teams.  It's the one black mark on an otherwise fantastic game.  What a shame for McCoy.

Congrats 'Bama!

Seriously, if Herbstreit mentioned one more time how strong Ingram is and how he is the YAC master, I was going to throw my bowl of ramen at his face!

I love how they showed Mr. McCoy going into the locker room at halftime.  They wouldn't have showed the father of the long snapper going in.  I love how they said it was the decision of Mack Brown, the doctors and everyone around him.

You know damn well, Colt wanted to go back in and Mack Brown really wanted him to go back in but his dad only saw $$$ in his head and made the final call.

Who quits on his team in the national championship game?  I don't care if he blew everything out.  You give it a go.

BH

I don't know man, you may want to wait and see before making statements like that.  You don't know how bad it was.

Ruckus

QuoteI don't know man, you may want to wait and see before making statements like that.  You don't know how bad it was.

You're absolutely right BH.  Doesn't change the fact I would have love to see him give a Willis Reed.

Like they said, Colt wanted to go back in.  It wasn't his decision so it was either the doctor's or his dad's.  I'm gonna go with his dad's.

Hey, I just wanted Nick Satan to lose and am bitter about that.  

Angry Ewok

BH

QuoteI don't know man, you may want to wait and see before making statements like that.  You don't know how bad it was.

You're absolutely right BH.  Doesn't change the fact I would have love to see him give a Willis Reed.

Like they said, Colt wanted to go back in.  It wasn't his decision so it was either the doctor's or his dad's.  I'm gonna go with his dad's.

Oh I hear ya, I thought the same thing when I saw his dad go back there.  But although, yes, I'm sure he wanted to go back in, he also said after the game that he couldn't even feel his right arm.  Either that was a lie, or there was no way he could throw a football.

capt. scotty

Oh I hear ya, I thought the same thing when I saw his dad go back there.  But although, yes, I'm sure he wanted to go back in, he also said after the game that he couldn't even feel his right arm.  Either that was a lie, or there was no way he could throw a football.

This article says he couldnt even throw it 7 yards to his dad in the locker room, so while he didnt look too injured when he came out to the sidelines in the 2nd half, apparently he was

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-texasqbs010810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

capt. scotty

QuoteWhile I do think that it would have been a different game if McCoy had played, I have 4 words for you.    Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson.
Not only did we have ONE player bust a hundred yards against the number one rush defense, we had TWO players bust it...and Ingram didn't even play most of the 3rd quarter.

The 1 thing I was ready to scream at the announcers during the 2nd quarter and halftime was time of possession. No one mentioned it. After Texas' first drive, Im pretty sure every single drive except one in the first half was a 3 & out. Your defense cant sustain holding the opposition down when its back out there less than every 5 minutes, let alone when the offense youre trying to hold down is Alabama. I think that was a huge factor in Ingram and Richardson breaking off a bunch of 8+ yard runs in the 2nd quarter.

Also, is McCoy having 2 turnovers that directly lead to 2 TD's by the defense? I highly doubt it.

No one knows what the game wouldve been like had McCoy played, but based on what I saw, I have a feeling Texas wouldve won a close one had he played

BH

From what I saw, Texas was getting ready to put an ass kicking on them.