The LOST thread

Started by Ghosts_on_TV, May 10, 2007, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbones72

this is what was in the pop up from the blog the incident:

Pop Up translates the tapestry (written in Greek, not hieroglypics) in the foot for us (our DVR crapped out so we couldn't rewind, so please let us know if we've remembered this incorrectly): The first two lines of the tapestry are from Homer's Odyssey. The first is, "May the gods grant you all things which your heart desires." The second is from book 24, and says, "And may the gods grant thee happiness." The third is anonymous and reads, "Only the dead have seen the end of war."

mjkoehler

Honest Abe says: "Watch Lost in 5 days muthafuckas"

mjkoehler

4 days

Oh and the first 5 minutes of epi 1 have leaked (it was intentional). It's now up on ABC's website. MUST RESIST

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

Ghosts_on_TV

Not watching! Ahhh!
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Jaimoe

Don't forget about the 1-hour recap episode next Tuesday that airs right before the Season VI premiere.

Lost is so good, it feels like it was produced on HBO or Showtime.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteDon't forget about the 1-hour recap episode next Tuesday that airs right before the Season VI premiere.

Too bad it's not, we probably would have seen some Kate boobage by now. 8-)

aMillionDreams

woah. this thread is 34 pages long.  Maybe i should start watching this show
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Jaimoe

Quotewoah. this thread is 34 pages long.  Maybe i should start watching this show

It's one of the best cult shows ever to have a long run "unaltered and free of meddling hands" on network TV (along with King of the Hill and a couple of others). I love this mind-fuck that has never dimmed.

el_chode

Quotewoah. this thread is 34 pages long.  Maybe i should start watching this show

It's one of the best cult shows ever to have a long run "unaltered and free of meddling hands" on network TV (along with King of the Hill and a couple of others). I love this mind-fuck that has never dimmed.

It's popularity has generated so much hate that's easy to turn people off.

Here's my warning if you do watch it for what you need to look past:

- The special fx can be extremely poorly done as far as modern CGI goes, but then again, this isn't Avatar and it's story-driven first and foremost. Ultimately, you say "that sucked" and then get past it.

- The show is smart, but it has moments that dumb it down, as the producers say, "for your mom to watch". They don't take away from the story, and for every scene with Sawyer's shirt off for no reason, you'll at least get Juliet or Kate in a low cut shirt with a very supportive bra.

- The acting lacks at parts, but usually those scenes for your mom, where the symphony swells and the people kiss and reunite or some bullshit. Again, it doesn't take away from the story.

I recommend it highly, and I had to be convinced of it since I wholly distrust network TV and assume any popular show is totally vapid and devoid of any redeeming qualities. However, this attitude has caused me to miss out on Arrested Development as well, since I assumed no TV show could really be funny without a "git-r-dun" type of humor these days.

Jaimoe

... and Ben Linus is one of the best villains in TV history, if he is actually a villain? John Locke is also one of the tube's most compelling characters, with a fitting philosophical outlook.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote... and Ben Linus is one of the best villains in TV history, if he is actually a villain? John Locke is also one of the tube's most compelling characters, with a fitting philosophical outlook.

yeah, Ben is awesome.

mjkoehler

Quote... and Ben Linus is one of the best villains in TV history, if he is actually a villain? John Locke is also one of the tube's most compelling characters, with a fitting philosophical outlook.

yeah, Ben is awesome.
Yes he is.

Dylan, knowing your love of Twin Peaks, I think you would love this show. It's got enough creepy elements that will appeal to the Peaker in you, along with suspense.

Jbones72

QuoteDon't forget about the 1-hour recap episode next Tuesday that airs right before the Season VI premiere.

Too bad it's not, we probably would have seen some Kate boobage by now. 8-)

u said boobage....i actually started watching the preview but stopped, must wait...namaste..

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

the show is pretty fucking awesome.  hot chicks, mystery.  it's kind of like a really high budget soap opera about the human condition.  

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

so lost is on tuesday's this season?

aMillionDreams

I'll check it out, but the words/phrases "cgi", "soap opera", and "vast popularity" have me a little skeptical.  

Putting season 1 on my netflix queue.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Jaimoe

QuoteI'll check it out, but the words/phrases "cgi", "soap opera", and "vast popularity" have me a little skeptical.  

Lost doesn't have vast popularity of a House or Desperate Housewives, but it has a fervent genre-loving fan base. If you don't like imaginative drama of the cult variety, then this isn't for you. I wouldn't call it a soap since the name alone often gives off a negative connotation, but it is an arc show a la Battlestar Galactica, Buffy, DS9, X-Files etc... meaning, you have to watch every crazy episode. Actually, Lost sometimes resembles the desperate bleak brilliance that is the original Planet of the Apes, but without Chuck Heston and the apes.

Lost is shrouded in mythology and weird and wild time-jumping story-arcs. The show is also unafraid to kill characters off. As for CGI, it's fairly well done regarding the monster and a few other creatures and that fucking plane-crash in the pilot was extremely well done. Lost is JJ Abrams' baby, and he knows what he is doing (Alias, Star Trek).

I must say that if you don't have an HD-TV, then the impact of the cinematography will be obviously lessened. Lost is one of the best looking shows on TV today.

el_chode

QuoteI'll check it out, but the words/phrases "cgi", "soap opera", and "vast popularity" have me a little skeptical.  

Lost doesn't have vast popularity of a House or Desperate Housewives, but it has a fervent genre-loving fan base. If you don't like imaginative drama of the cult variety, then this isn't for you. I wouldn't call it a soap since the name alone often gives off a negative connotation, but it is an arc show a la Battlestar Galactica, Buffy, DS9, X-Files etc... meaning, you have to watch every crazy episode. Actually, Lost sometimes resembles the desperate bleak brilliance that is the original Planet of the Apes, but without Chuck Heston and the apes.

Lost is shrouded in mythology and weird and wild time-jumping story-arcs. The show is also unafraid to kill characters off. As for CGI, it's fairly well done regarding the monster and a few other creatures and that fucking plane-crash in the pilot was extremely well done. Lost is JJ Abrams' baby, and he knows what he is doing (Alias, Star Trek).

I must say that if you don't have an HD-TV, then the impact of the cinematography will be obviously lessened. Lost is one of the best looking shows on TV today.

There are two special effects moments that stand out to me as being just awful. The first, without spoiling it for people who may watch it, is what happens after Locke turns the wheel. The second is the very end of the last episode, where they follow the debris going into the well.

It just looked fake.

Otherwise, Soap Opera gives the impression that everything going on is somewhat absurd and improbable. While LOST may seem unlikely, the whole premise is that it's all technically plausible and causally related.

So, aMD if you're interested in themes that play out on free will vs destiny, faith vs science, social contract theory, and quantum mechanics, you may enjoy LOST.

Like any good series, there are certain episodes that are so frakkin awesome that they stand alone as well, regardless if you know what's going on (The Constant comes to mind, or 33 in BSG)