The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEO

Started lifting again this morning since it has cooled off. Felt GREAT!
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

TheBigChicken

QuoteStarted lifting again this morning since it has cooled off. Felt GREAT!
and HOW does it feel today young man....little ouchy ? ;D ::)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

mjkoehler

It's usually the second day where you reeeeeeeeally feel the hurt.

TEO

It's usually the second day where you reeeeeeeeally feel the hurt.

Just a little in the pecs and tris. Today I took the Dog to the park and walked up and down hills and trails. Gots to get my swimsuit figure goin' on and on before we heads to Costa Rica...have to fix a bike tire, and may even get out the skates after a long hiatus on those.

TEO

lil sis

QuoteI started taking this kickboxing class in May that really kicked my arse!  You work with real heavy weight bags, and in between all of the punching/kicking combinations you do lunges, squats, burpees, pushups, jumping jacks, jump rope, crunches, planks, etc for 60 minutes with only three 30 second breaks.  It was really challenging.  Trying to tone up in your late 20s is so much harder than just a few years ago!  But this was fun and kept me interested.  I'm afraid to say running gets old for me after a while.  Anyway, I lost about 6% body fat before my vacation to Turks & Caicos.  I fell off a little when I got back not having it in my routine, but I FINALLY went back on Friday.  Already feeling good.  Love those endorphins.  Not to mention you burn between 800-1,000 calories in that hour.

i LOOOOOOOVE kickboxing. i miss it.  :(
It's such a great workout.  And being that I'm in sales, it's a great stress-reliever as well.  Totally back on track and couldn't be happier!
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

jones

I haven't been running for about two years since I've gotten so heavy on the mountain biking, but I blew the dust off of my Asics yesterday.  I got in 6.16 miles in an hour and felt pretty good about it.  I must admit that I'm a [size=8]little bit[/size] sore, but less than I expected.  I'm thinking that I can work up to 10 within a few weeks.

I'll be back on the bike today with another run on Wednesday or Thursday.  MTB race this Sunday and then the off-road tri the following Saturday.

Oh yeah, lil sis, I hear ya.  I'm in sales, too.

mjkoehler

I'll be back on the bike today with another run on Wednesday or Thursday.  

That will work the soreness out.

Penny Lane

QuoteI haven't been running for about two years since I've gotten so heavy on the mountain biking, but I blew the dust off of my Asics yesterday.  I got in 6.16 miles in an hour and felt pretty good about it.  I must admit that I'm a [size=8]little bit[/size] sore, but less than I expected.  I'm thinking that I can work up to 10 within a few weeks.

I'll be back on the bike today with another run on Wednesday or Thursday.  MTB race this Sunday and then the off-road tri the following Saturday.

that's great you can just get up and run that distance after not running
i got up before work and ran and it was COLD and felt good. i felt like Rocky, i was air punching Drago..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

jones

QuoteI haven't been running for about two years since I've gotten so heavy on the mountain biking, but I blew the dust off of my Asics yesterday.  I got in 6.16 miles in an hour and felt pretty good about it.  I must admit that I'm a [size=8]little bit[/size] sore, but less than I expected.  I'm thinking that I can work up to 10 within a few weeks.

i got up before work and ran and it was COLD and felt good. i felt like Rocky, i was air punching Drago..
Yeah, I was kind of pleasantly surprised by it.  I did break it up by running for 30 minutes, walking for 3 min., and then running the last 30min., though.  It was kind of hot (around 90) and I was in the sun the entire time.  I choose cold weather running/riding over hot any day.

mjkoehler

Now you know why I do this in the morning. Plus when I fall no one is around to laugh

Penny Lane

Now you know why I do this in the morning. Plus when I fall no one is around to laugh

i nearly wiped out in the intersection a few weeks ago during rush hour
were the honks supposed to be encouraging? and yeah, i'm digging these cold morning runs!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Taterbug

were the honks supposed to be encouraging? and yeah, i'm digging these cold morning runs!

I think the honks ment they were horny   ;)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

TEO

high rep free squats with feet less than shoulders like ski prep

mjkoehler

I think the honks ment they were horny   ;)
Oddly there is a neighborhood in the city that I used to have to run through that there was a lot of honking going on. It's a neighborhood very similar to Boystown. I ran really fast through that hood.

tdb810

All of you long distace runners impress the hell outta me.  I am training for my 2nd 5k (yes - 5k) and I am sucking wind like a son of a bitch!
Any tips on the breathing??  Or other tips that would make running just slightly less torturous??

Sometimes I want to stab running I hate it so much -- but it feels so good after:)
.....Back at the Model Home

mjkoehler

Just keep at it and don't think about it. Also, doing short fast/hard runs periodically help. Many marathon training course recommend 1 or 2 days a week of relay runs were you do a bunch of 100-200 yard sprints intermingled with your run to help better your time and improve breathing. I'm a mouth breather. I've never been able to breath through my nose and out through my mouth. I cannot get enough air that way. Apparently I have small nasal passages so I guess I can rule out a raging cocaine habit. Whatevs.

To me, wind is never the issue. It's more the pounding the knees and back takes.

tdb810

QuoteJust keep at it and don't think about it. Also, doing short fast/hard runs periodically help. Many marathon training course recommend 1 or 2 days a week of relay runs were you do a bunch of 100-200 yard sprints intermingled with your run to help better your time and improve breathing. I'm a mouth breather. I've never been able to breath through my nose and out through my mouth. I cannot get enough air that way. Apparently I have small nasal passages so I guess I can rule out a raging cocaine habit. Whatevs.

To me, wind is never the issue. It's more the pounding the knees and back takes.

me too me too....mouth breather all the way...i will definitely take your advice and try mixing it up a little bit....

tdb810

oh and btw - do not even ask me about my time..its embarrassing to say the least

lil sis

Def add a HIIT workout once a week.  It will not only improve your speed and strength but help with endurance in the long run.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."