The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2011, 09:25 AM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 13, 2011, 08:56 AM
"Officially" started my marathon training program this morning. I say "officially" as I didn't really slack off this winter or spring as I was able to maintain 10-13 mile runs on the weekends. Only 2 concerns, my foot is still kicking my ass and my pace has taken a hit recently. Have another follow up appoinment after my vaction. My pace went from about 8:20 average to 9 the last few weeks. Not sure why either. I can't really blame my foot as it feels fine when it's warmed up.

Me too, man, I'm well on my way -- 2.6 miles this morning.  ;D

Good luck and keep it up!
This will be #3 (and possibly last) and I can't wait. Making it a long weekend in Chicago, staying with a very old and dear friend and her husband. Drinks, great food, good times, etc.

Crispy

Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 13, 2011, 09:45 AM
Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2011, 09:25 AM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 13, 2011, 08:56 AM
"Officially" started my marathon training program this morning. I say "officially" as I didn't really slack off this winter or spring as I was able to maintain 10-13 mile runs on the weekends. Only 2 concerns, my foot is still kicking my ass and my pace has taken a hit recently. Have another follow up appoinment after my vaction. My pace went from about 8:20 average to 9 the last few weeks. Not sure why either. I can't really blame my foot as it feels fine when it's warmed up.

Me too, man, I'm well on my way -- 2.6 miles this morning.  ;D

Good luck and keep it up!
This will be #3 (and possibly last) and I can't wait. Making it a long weekend in Chicago, staying with a very old and dear friend and her husband. Drinks, great food, good times, etc.

Awesome -- just joshin' about the marathon thing for me, but I am training for a good backpack trip in CO in August, the weekend before the MMJ show at Red Rocks.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

mjk73

Tomorrow morn is the day I planning to get a great run through the Nat'l Mall and by the White House and other places. Hopefully I can get a couple pics

Crispy

Got back to the hot yoga class last night after about three weeks away -- it kicked my ass, mostly because I didn't get enough water beforehand. My shirt was literally as drenched as if it had been dunked in a bucket of water.

We'll see if I can get a run in this evening in the oven outside -- but hey, it's only supposed to be 89F today.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

kydiddle

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 21, 2011, 10:23 AM
Got back to the hot yoga class last night after about three weeks away -- it kicked my ass, mostly because I didn't get enough water beforehand. My shirt was literally as drenched as if it had been dunked in a bucket of water.

We'll see if I can get a run in this evening in the oven outside -- but hey, it's only supposed to be 89F today.

Yay, Crispy!!! Hot yoga is AMAZING! I go at least twice a week.  :thumbsup:
Cow temperature.

kydiddle

Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
Tomorrow morn is the day I planning to get a great run through the Nat'l Mall and by the White House and other places. Hopefully I can get a couple pics

Nice! If you have time, run your way to Amsterdam Falafel in Adams Morgan. It's deliciously amazing.
Cow temperature.

ALady

Three hours of dance practice last night - we're performing at Navy Pier this week.  Exciting, but I literally squeezed sweat out of my ponytail afterwards.  Gross.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

tdb810

sweaty ponytails...new band name ?  lol

ok doing a 5k on 7/20/11.  Started my 4 week training this AM.  Damn, I was sucking wind, and only did 1.5 :) but will work up to it. I have such a love/hate relationship with running.  Actually in my case, I should surely call it, jogging :)
.....Back at the Model Home

kydiddle

Quote from: tdb810 on Jun 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
sweaty ponytails...new band name ?  lol

ok doing a 5k on 7/20/11.  Started my 4 week training this AM.  Damn, I was sucking wind, and only did 1.5 :) but will work up to it. I have such a love/hate relationship with running.  Actually in my case, I should surely call it, jogging :)

;D ;D ;D
Cow temperature.

mjk73

Quote from: kydiddle on Jun 21, 2011, 10:37 AM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 21, 2011, 09:27 AM

Nice! If you have time, run your way to Amsterdam Falafel in Adams Morgan. It's deliciously amazing.
Your words speak deeply to me. F-A-L-A-F-E-L 'nuff said.

Crispy

Since we were talking about yoga, and the topic of Kamp Krispy in Boulder County has come up elsewhere...Boulder happenings

Hawkeye

Picked up a nice Mizuno wooden baseball bat this past weekend and hit the batting cages.  WOW were my arms sore.  Hadn't swung a baseball bat in 10 years and I could tell.  I didn't think the muscles used were so different from golf, but apparently they are.  Can still feel a little soreness/weakness in my right hand and forearm.  I hit surprisingly well though.  Started off at 40 mph, then 60, then 80.  80 is pretty quick, but I was making good contact.  Unfortunately I think this trip to the batting cage through off my golf swing, as I was hitting some pretty good hook shots Monday night during golf league.

Pretty sure this should be in the fitness thread?  Heck if it makes me sore I'm putting it in here.

Anyone else here frequent the batting cages?
We could.

mjk73

Running in this heat is awful. AWFUL. Something ain't right when your heat index is 100 at 7fucking30 AM. Anyone out there working out in this heat, please keep yourself hydrated.

kydiddle

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 02, 2011, 12:47 PM
Running in this heat is awful. AWFUL. Something ain't right when your heat index is 100 at 7fucking30 AM. Anyone out there working out in this heat, please keep yourself hydrated.

That's pretty nasty. Everyone should just stay indoors and use the Shake Weight.

Shake Weight For Men™ - OFFICIAL VIDEO AD
Cow temperature.

mjk73

I'm about ready to take that up if it means not having to get up at 4:30AM to run to avoid the heat.

darkglow

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jun 22, 2011, 05:42 PM
Picked up a nice Mizuno wooden baseball bat this past weekend and hit the batting cages.  WOW were my arms sore.  Hadn't swung a baseball bat in 10 years and I could tell.  I didn't think the muscles used were so different from golf, but apparently they are.  Can still feel a little soreness/weakness in my right hand and forearm.  I hit surprisingly well though.  Started off at 40 mph, then 60, then 80.  80 is pretty quick, but I was making good contact.  Unfortunately I think this trip to the batting cage through off my golf swing, as I was hitting some pretty good hook shots Monday night during golf league.

Pretty sure this should be in the fitness thread?  Heck if it makes me sore I'm putting it in here.

Anyone else here frequent the batting cages?

looked at wooden bats today when i was at the store to pick up a wiffle ball bat and some balls.. i am contemplating playing with an age 26+ wooden bat league this fall...

playing co-ed slow pitch softball has left a sour taste in my mouth.. i really just love baseball too much

jones

I started training for an Ironman 70.3 (70.3 is a half Ironman which = 1.2 mile open water swim, 56 mile road bike, 13.1 mile run) last week.  It is in 3 months.  I am not a strong swimmer because I have never swum for sport. I joined the YMCA because they have a pool. I am good on the run.  I am good on the ride. I haven't paid for the IM yet.  They are currently at 70% of capacity.  That is all.

mjk73

Quote from: jones on Jul 02, 2011, 07:04 PM
I started training for an Ironman 70.3 (70.3 is a half Ironman which = 1.2 mile open water swim, 56 mile road bike, 13.1 mile run) last week.  It is in 3 months.  I am not a strong swimmer because I have never swum for sport. I joined the YMCA because they have a pool. I am good on the run.  I am good on the ride. I haven't paid for the IM yet.  They are currently at 70% of capacity.  That is all.
Awesome. The run and swim would be great, the ride is what would kill me. Sounds like it's about the same time as my marathon. Keep up the work man.

jones

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 02, 2011, 07:15 PM
Awesome. The run and swim would be great, the ride is what would kill me. Sounds like it's about the same time as my marathon. Keep up the work man.
I'm going to take lessons for swimming technique starting next week. It sounds silly to say(type), but I don't know how to breathe correctly and I thought that the lifeguards were going to come for me when I did 800 meters on Thursday (many breaks were taken).  My fitness is there, but I will have to work at the swim. 

The main goal:

Iron Man 70.3 in Augusta this year
Full Iron Man in Louisville 2012

You'll do great in Chicago, Mike!!

mjk73

Quote from: jones on Jul 02, 2011, 07:24 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 02, 2011, 07:15 PM
I'm going to take lessons for swimming technique starting next week. It sounds silly to say(type), but I don't know how to breathe correctly and I thought that the lifeguards were going to come for me when I did 800 meters on Thursday (many breaks were taken).  My fitness is there, but I will have to work at the swim. 

The main goal:

Iron Man 70.3 in Augusta this year
Full Iron Man in Louisville 2012

You'll do great in Chicago, Mike!!
Yeah the breathing is a bit tricky so it doesn't end up actually drinking. Head down for a 2 count then left then down then right. I always remembered that. Or you could learn the way my dad taught me, just threw me in the pool.

Going for 4:20 to 4:30 which would be 30 minutes or so better then last year and an hour better then 2 years ago.