the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Here's a good Muir quote, Dan!

"Never before noticed so fine a union of rock and cloud in form and color and substance, drawing earth and sky together as one; and so human is it, every feature and tint of color goes to one's heart, and we shout, exulting in wild enthusiasm as if all the divine show were our own. More and more, in a place like this, we find ourselves part of wild Nature, kin to everything." -Mountaineering Essays, pg. 12
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

YouAre_GivenToFly

That is a good one.  :thumbsup:

I read one a little while back... it was lengthy but talked about how in nature not a single thing is wasted... kind of incredible to think about... the enormity and complexity of the flora and fauna, but it all has a very specific purpose.

EDIT: Found the quote...

"One is constantly reminded of the infinite lavishness and fertility of Nature, - inexhaustible abundance amid what seems enormous waste. And yet when we look into any of her operations that lie within reach of our minds, we learn that no particle of her material is wasted or worn out. It is eternally flowing from use to use, beauty to yet higher beauty; and we soon cease to lament waste and death, and rather rejoice in the imperishable, unspendable wealth of the universe, and faithfully watch and wait the reappearance of everything that melts and fades and dies about us, feeling sure that its next appearance will be better and more beautiful than the last."
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Jul 24, 2011, 10:01 PM

I read one a little while back... it was lengthy but talked about how in nature not a single thing is wasted... kind of incredible to think about... the enormity and complexity of the flora and fauna, but it all has a very specific purpose.

"One is constantly reminded of the infinite lavishness and fertility of Nature, - inexhaustible abundance amid what seems enormous waste. And yet when we look into any of her operations that lie within reach of our minds, we learn that no particle of her material is wasted or worn out. It is eternally flowing from use to use, beauty to yet higher beauty; and we soon cease to lament waste and death, and rather rejoice in the imperishable, unspendable wealth of the universe, and faithfully watch and wait the reappearance of everything that melts and fades and dies about us, feeling sure that its next appearance will be better and more beautiful than the last."

Yes yes!  That is in Mountaineering Essays too!  Or if not, I've read it elsewhere!  One of my all-time favorites.

In tow with

"Sickness, pain, death -- yet who could guess their existence in this fresh, abounding, overflowing life, this universal beauty?

Race living on race, killers killed, yet how little we see of this slaughter!  How neatly, secretly, decently is the killing done!  I never saw one drop of blood, one red stain on all this wilderness.  Even death is in harmony here."

Making me yearn to get out again!  Maybe I'll head to the Blue Ridge Parkway tomorrow!!!

DejaView2011

One of my favorite, most read books ever (once a year).
    Robert McCammon's "Swan Song".  Like Stephen King's "The Stand", only a wee bit more incredible. I always own two copies. One to read, and one to give away.
Given as a birthday present, I was told 2 weeks later it was the best birthday present they'd ever recieved. SO glad it's back in print!
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

pawpaw

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Jul 24, 2011, 10:01 PM

Yes yes!  That is in Mountaineering Essays too!  Or if not, I've read it elsewhere!  One of my all-time favorites.

In tow with

"Sickness, pain, death -- yet who could guess their existence in this fresh, abounding, overflowing life, this universal beauty?

Race living on race, killers killed, yet how little we see of this slaughter!  How neatly, secretly, decently is the killing done!  I never saw one drop of blood, one red stain on all this wilderness.  Even death is in harmony here."

Making me yearn to get out again!  Maybe I'll head to the Blue Ridge Parkway tomorrow!!!

Nice stuff guys! My family and I took a little trip to Kings Canyon a few weeks ago, one of my favorite places and also one of the stretches of the Sierras that Muir spent a great deal of time. It's always such a recharge for me to get into the mountains...I don't get to go as often or as deep as I'd like now that we have little kids, but it's better in some ways now too, being able to see them experience these amazing spots themselves.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

woodnymph

Quote from: bbill on Aug 05, 2011, 02:15 PM
Nice stuff guys! My family and I took a little trip to Kings Canyon a few weeks ago, one of my favorite places and also one of the stretches of the Sierras that Muir spent a great deal of time. It's always such a recharge for me to get into the mountains...I don't get to go as often or as deep as I'd like now that we have little kids, but it's better in some ways now too, being able to see them experience these amazing spots themselves.

WHOA.  That's GORGEOUS!!!  Lucky kids to get out into that wilderness!!!!  I've spent a couple weeks out in Yosemite around some of the areas Mr. Muir would spend time in, and I just never quite get my fill of that place!!!  Kings Canyon is next on the list!!    And it's gonna be a sweet day when you CAN go more often and/or deep into the backcountry again when your kiddos are more grown up (especially if they want to go with you!)  :-D

Oy your picture makes me want to head out there again... guess I'll just read some more Muir til next time!

bowl of soup

Three Cups of Deceit by Jon Krakauer.  An absolute undressing of Three Cups of Tea author Greg Mortenson.  Short, relentless, and brutal.  A must read for anyone familiar with the Mortenson tale.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

bumble

Just finished reading "Moon" - Keith Moon's bio.  It was both hilarious and sad.

wolof7

Unsure if I have ever posted this website here but it has some pretty cool tees for you bookworms out there, I got my fiancee Walden tee for her bday! plus part of your purchase goes to charity so you can feel good about yourself! Check it:

www.outofprintclothing.com

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

dragonboy

Just finished Lean On Pete by Willie Vlautin. Loved of all 3 of his novels  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

wolof7

Quote from: wolof7 on Aug 20, 2011, 07:31 AM
Unsure if I have ever posted this website here but it has some pretty cool tees for you bookworms out there, I got my fiancee Walden tee for her bday! plus part of your purchase goes to charity so you can feel good about yourself! Check it:

www.outofprintclothing.com

bumpin this to page 27!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

woodnymph

Awesome tees!!  One of my botany teachers in Asheville has a Walden shirt that was sweet!!  Great concept!

weeniebeenie

Just started This All Encompassing Trip by Jason Leung.
Any PJ fans read it?
How loud can silence get?

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Aug 22, 2011, 01:02 AM
Just started This All Encompassing Trip by Jason Leung.
Any PJ fans read it?

Haven't read that. I read "5 against 1" maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Looking forward to the PJ20 book, though.

Currently reading this......  :-\
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Folks....... Half Price Books online marketplace is having a free [standard] shipping day MONDAY, NOV. 28!!!  Prices comparable to Amazon.com and Half.com..... but free shipping!!

Czech it owt:

http://www.hpbmarketplace.com/

**EDIT.... forget I mentioned it.... as soon as it turned midnight here, all the <$4 books mysteriously disappeared, and only ones >$5 became available..... funny how that works........  ::)

ophidiophobia

High Fidelity- Nick Hornsby

I've read this book a ton but it never gets old. I think I prefer the book over the movie just because of the English dialect and the London setting over the Chicago setting of the movie.

Fully

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Nov 28, 2011, 09:57 PM
High Fidelity- Nick Hornsby

I've read this book a ton but it never gets old. I think I prefer the book over the movie just because of the English dialect and the London setting over the Chicago setting of the movie.

I love that book too. I'm with you on the book over the movie issue except for one thing, John Cusack. He was perfect casting. I've read that book probably four times now. I've got another Hornsby book that I need to read, but I just haven't yet: Juliet Naked, I think it's called.

el_chode

I hate what Hollywood did to About A Boy
I'm surrounded by assholes

lucylew

This All Encompassing Trip is on my nightstand - I'll be starting that one soon.

Love all Nick Hornsby novels.  All of 'em!

Just finished "life, on the line" by Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas -  Grant is the Chef and they both are the owners of Alinea/Next/Aviary (restaurants in Chicago).  I could not put this book down!   

Before I was terribly familar with Alinea I had heard about Grant being diagnosed with stage IV tongue cancer - amazing that he lived through chemo and radiation while working 14-16 hour days.   Really good read.