the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

I remember I was excited for the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it was just not good but most books I put down if they are bad.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

SaraBananaBear

I recently read this book:

And loved it! Hundred year old Allan decides to go on the run from his room at the old people's home. From there the story goes on to include criminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash and an elephant among other things. The story is told both through present time, as well as through flashbacks to things that has happened to Allan during his 100 years. And it's safe to say that Allan has been through a lot of interesting things. It's hard to describe the book properly, but it's really funny, completely crazy and very creative. :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

bearass

well i started reading neil's auto, then i started odd thomas and that has most of my attention

pawpaw

I'm currently reading this:

It's a collection of essays that the author wrote about baseball, all originally published in the 60s. Really well written. Getting me excited for Opening Day!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Lunchbox

The 48 Laws Of Power by Robert Greene

Fully

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Feb 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
Quote from: Angelo on Feb 11, 2013, 02:51 PM
Currently halfway through Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. This guy was like a rock star with the way he partied and did hard drugs at the beginning of his career. Great read so far.

After this I plan to restart Catch 22 as I read the first quarter then inexplicably stopped. Dumb. When/if this happens to others do you pick up where you left off or start from the beginning again?
i usually start over but wouldn't with Catch 22.  I could not ever finish that book to start with.  Hated it.

I usually start over too. Catch-22 can be a difficult read because it jumps around so much and it feels like it starts in media res. It took me a long time to figure out some of the things the book was referencing, but by the end of the book, it made sense. I think the lack of respect towards authority and the convoluted bureaucracy were what kept me reading. It felt like a mystery sometimes and like a puzzle at others. Ultimately, I liked it, although I found it a challenging read.

EverythingChanges

Just finished The Drawing of the Three (2nd Dark Tower book).  It was a great read, but not quite as epic as the first.  Looking forward to actually start the journey towards the tower with the next book.  I have just started reading it, and I'm already hooked.  It is an excellent series, so unique.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

peafunk31

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 26, 2013, 12:59 AM
Just finished The Drawing of the Three (2nd Dark Tower book).  It was a great read, but not quite as epic as the first.  Looking forward to actually start the journey towards the tower with the next book.  I have just started reading it, and I'm already hooked.  It is an excellent series, so unique.

Nice! The 1st 2 Tower books are more or less set up books. The series really takes off in The Wastelands. I hope you don't have too much planned in the near future  :tongue: I was done for about a 1/4 of the way through 3rd book. I simply couldn't stop reading the series. Report back after you're done The Wastelands please!
Homer no function beer well without.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: peafunk31 on Mar 26, 2013, 09:06 AM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 26, 2013, 12:59 AM

Nice! The 1st 2 Tower books are more or less set up books. The series really takes off in The Wastelands. I hope you don't have too much planned in the near future  :tongue: I was done for about a 1/4 of the way through 3rd book. I simply couldn't stop reading the series. Report back after you're done The Wastelands please!

SPOILERS from book 3

They are following Shardik's trail back to the portal atm.  Super great so far!  I keep hoping this is turned into a HBO series.

EverythingChanges

Also, without spoiling, is the last DT book really as bad as people seem to think it is?

peafunk31

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 27, 2013, 11:22 PM
Also, without spoiling, is the last DT book really as bad as people seem to think it is?

I didn't think so. I rather enjoyed it. I think the issue people have with the last book is that King weaves such a massive story that it became impossible to sew up every storyline. Several things remain unexplained. Nothing monumental. Also, the ending is nothing like I expected it would be. I don't consider that a negative. I was very suprised at how it turned out. I will say this; I cried like a baby at the end of the last book. I don't think a book has ever had me so engrossed that it was able to pull those types of emotions out of me. Truly awesome. :thumbsup:

EverythingChanges

Quote from: peafunk31 on Mar 28, 2013, 09:26 AM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 27, 2013, 11:22 PM

I didn't think so. I rather enjoyed it. I think the issue people have with the last book is that King weaves such a massive story that it became impossible to sew up every storyline. Several things remain unexplained. Nothing monumental. Also, the ending is nothing like I expected it would be. I don't consider that a negative. I was very suprised at how it turned out. I will say this; I cried like a baby at the end of the last book. I don't think a book has ever had me so engrossed that it was able to pull those types of emotions out of me. Truly awesome. :thumbsup:

So like the ending of Lost, which I absolutely loved.

peafunk31

Not a bad comparison at all! :thumbsup:

LeanneP

I am currently re-reading Game Of Thrones.

I just d/l'ed The Beginning Runner's Handbook (1st ed).
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Jeff Murray

Just started reading a book by a guy I went to college with... Dad or Alive by Adrian Kulp.  Basically it is his comical story about becoming a stay at home Dad.  I'm just getting to the point in which he decides to stay home and let his wife go back to her career.  He previously worked in Adam Sandler's Happy Madison productions and then went to work on Chelsea Handler's team, so he has a pretty good funny bone.

He has a blog under the same name and has been published on huffingtonpost.com if you want to check out his writing a head of the book. 
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

wolof7

Just finished Joe Hill's NOS4A2.  A meaty fantastical horror tome from Stephen King's son(Joe Hill is his pen name). Book was amazing as was his other 2 novels and all his graphic novel work. I think it has become my favorite of his. A must read for any fan of horror fiction

wolof7

I'll read that, love Sebastian Junger!

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: wolof7 on Jun 15, 2013, 12:18 PM
Just finished Joe Hill's NOS4A2.  A meaty fantastical horror tome from Stephen King's son(Joe Hill is his pen name). Book was amazing as was his other 2 novels and all his graphic novel work. I think it has become my favorite of his. A must read for any fan of horror fiction

About 60% finished and it is pretty great.  I love Horns, Heart Shaped Box & Locke and Key.  This is the first time he has referenced events from previous books, pretty cool and a nod to his father.

ms. yvon

Quote from: bbill on Mar 20, 2013, 04:31 PM
I'm currently reading this:

It's a collection of essays that the author wrote about baseball, all originally published in the 60s. Really well written. Getting me excited for Opening Day!

this looks great, bbill!  i read a baseball book or two every summer.  this year i read, "A False Spring," "The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neill's America" and am reading "Moneyball".

The Buck O'Neill book was especially good.  i've read Buck's memoir:  he presents such a cheerful face and open heart that it's easy to miss how hard he worked to raise awareness of Negro League Baseball.  Unexpectedly moving.  i love this book hard.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

pawpaw

I'll have to check that one out ms. y! I've got another good one for you, not baseball, just a great book though.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."