NBA 2010-11

Started by Tracy_3000, Oct 27, 2010, 10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

I'll be watching.  At least the beginning of the game anyways!

I just hope that the fans don't do anything to embarrass Cleveland and make LeFraud come out looking like the victim!

I'm also interested to see if he does his little powder routine and how that will be recieved?!

The Cavs had a slogan a couple of years ago that was, "Rise Up" and that fits perfectly for what this Cavalier team has to do tonight!  I would love to see Varejao or JJ Hickson knock Queen James on her ass a few times as well.

Jaimoe

Bosh is hated in Toronto almost as much as Bron Bron is in Cleveland. Bosh has been spouting off nonsense about playing in Canada didn't matter because he wasn't on TV enough in the US (even though he was a 5-time all-star, key member of the 2008 US national team and face of the Raptors franchise instead of a Heat "lapdog") and that he couldn't get certain sports cable packages (when if fact he could); he just didn't know where or who to call. He's coming off shallower and a bigger phony than we'd ever imagined.

iLikeBeer

Well, that didn't go as well as I had expected?!   :P

Highlight of last nights game was when the crowd started chanting, "Akron hates you!"  ;D

I think the thing the bothered me more than anything was how the Cavs players didn't seem to make things difficult for LeBron.  I mean, he bailed on them just as much as he bailed on us fans, but you sure wouldn't have known it last night?!  

Well, now that that's over with, I'm pretty much done with the NBA for the rest of the season...

.Walt

QuoteBosh is hated in Toronto almost as much as Bron Bron is in Cleveland. Bosh has been spouting off nonsense about playing in Canada didn't matter because he wasn't on TV enough in the US (even though he was a 5-time all-star, key member of the 2008 US national team and face of the Raptors franchise instead of a Heat "lapdog") and that he couldn't get certain sports cable packages (when if fact he could); he just didn't know where or who to call. He's coming off shallower and a bigger phony than we'd ever imagined.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what Toronto does. I was watching Heatley's return to Ottawa last night, and what a great way to prep myself for LeBron. I thought Ottawa was way louder than Cleveland, but that could be the mic setup or whatever. I was expecting crazier things from Cleveland. Where were the planned chants?...I thought that was a great idea! The Akron hates you chant was good, but that was as creative as they got. Not sure what I was expecting, but I was letdown. Since I'm not a fan of the Cavs, I didn't really care about the actual score. I actually thought the drinking and the beatdown would have brought out the ugly. Maybe it's better it didn't.

Beer, I forgot to listen to Cleveland radio today. How are the people taking it? Are most people done with the NBA too? I love how they cheered Ilgauskas.  ;D
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

QuoteBosh is hated in Toronto almost as much as Bron Bron is in Cleveland. Bosh has been spouting off nonsense about playing in Canada didn't matter because he wasn't on TV enough in the US (even though he was a 5-time all-star, key member of the 2008 US national team and face of the Raptors franchise instead of a Heat "lapdog") and that he couldn't get certain sports cable packages (when if fact he could); he just didn't know where or who to call. He's coming off shallower and a bigger phony than we'd ever imagined.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what Toronto does. I was watching Heatley's return to Ottawa last night, and what a great way to prep myself for LeBron. I thought Ottawa was way louder than Cleveland, but that could be the mic setup or whatever. I was expecting crazier things from Cleveland. Where were the planned chants?...I thought that was a great idea! The Akron hates you chant was good, but that was as creative as they got. Not sure what I was expecting, but I was letdown. Since I'm not a fan of the Cavs, I didn't really care about the actual score. I actually thought the drinking and the beatdown would have brought out the ugly. Maybe it's better it didn't.

Beer, I forgot to listen to Cleveland radio today. How are the people taking it? Are most people done with the NBA too? I love how they cheered Ilgauskas.  ;D

The front page of the Toronto Star's sports section had a great picture of LeBron's back, with his arms outstretched and facing the fans; almost all were wearing scowls.

The Ottawa fans were awesome last night. They were absolutely angry and wanted blood. The hatred for Heatley is comparable to LeBron's in Cleveland. I can't wait for Bosh's return to Tranna. Wince Carter is arguably still public enemy #1, but Bosh may have displaced him.

iLikeBeer

QuoteBeer, I forgot to listen to Cleveland radio today. How are the people taking it? Are most people done with the NBA too? I love how they cheered Ilgauskas.  ;D

I think most people are closing the book on it.  They got closure on Thursday night and that is kind of the common theme for now.  As for most people being done with the NBA,  I'm kind of sensing that as well.  The Q will continue to be close to full this year because so many people already had season tix due to their hope that LeFraud would've been back.  I wouldn't count on seeing the Q anywhere near capacity next year unless Gilbert goes out and brings in some nice free agents this offseason.

As for my own opinion of the NBA, I haven't really been a fan of NBA basketball for a while now.  LeFraud gave me a reason to watch every now and again and especially during the playoffs.  But now that he's gone and especially considering the slippery slope the NBA is taking wrt players basically colluding together as to which big-market team they wish to play for together, it makes it even more unwatchable IMO.  I've always been a basketball purist.  I don't even like the direction we are seeing DI college basketball trend with programs like UK filling their rosters with one and done players every year?!  

I will stick to watching hoops in what I consider to be it's purest form.  My hometown (Woosteer, OH) is home to the 2nd winningest basketball program of any division (College of Wooster).  They are NCAA DIII and their players don't play for scholarships, but for the love of the game.  And they are pretty damn good as they are currently the 4th ranked team in DIII basketaball.  They play basketball the way it was meant to be played!  I'll take watching a bunch of high quality non-scholarship athletes over the prima donnas that make up major college basketball or the NBA any day of the week!   8-)

Jaimoe

Hey iLikeBeer, I wouldn't single out UK for stocking their rosters with one-and-done players. This is a trend that afflicts most big Division 1 programs.

I'm a pretty big basketball and diehard Raptors fan, but I prefer NCAA; I'm a long suffering Orangeman supporter. It's frustrating being a Raptors fan and watching franchise player after franchise player leave after 5-7 years; and many US-born free agents say they don't want to play in Toronto mainly because we don't get ESPN, which is ridiculous. And on an aside, the everyday ESPN broadcasts that I've seen are almost unwatchable (not including basketball, football game days). It feels like I'm watching CNN of sports.

capt. scotty

I'm a pretty big basketball and diehard Raptors fan, but I prefer NCAA; I'm a long suffering Orangeman supporter.

Im not sure "long suffering" and "Orangemen fan" should be in the same sentence. You have 1 of the most winningest coaches in NCAA history and you won a championship like 7 years ago.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

I'm a pretty big basketball and diehard Raptors fan, but I prefer NCAA; I'm a long suffering Orangeman supporter.

Im not sure "long suffering" and "Orangemen fan" should be in the same sentence. You have 1 of the most winningest coaches in NCAA history and you won a championship like 7 years ago.

True, but that team was just too good to lose that year. With their star-studded talent over the decades, Syracuse should have won many championships, but they always seemed to underachieve. I can tell you, always bet on the 'Cuse to bow out early in the March Madness and Big East tournaments. I think Boeheim isn't that good of a coach, regardless of his winning percentage. Talk to other longtime Syracuse fans and they'll more than likely echo my sentiments.

capt. scotty

True, but that team was just too good to lose that year. With their star-studded talent over the decades, Syracuse should have won many championships, but they always seemed to underachieve. I can tell you, always bet on the 'Cuse to bow out early in the March Madness and Big East tournaments. I think Boeheim isn't that good of a coach, regardless of his winning percentage. Talk to other longtime Syracuse fans and they'll more than likely echo my sentiments.

I agree with most of that, they shouldve been in more Final Fours. That team was pretty sick, but Melo was only a freshman. You dont see too many teams whose star is a frosh end up winning it all. Just look at Florida over OSU (Oden) in 07, Kansas over Memphis (Rose) in 08. What makes it even more impressive was that Kansas team that Cuse beat was stacked - Hinrich, Collison, Wayne Simien, Keith Langford, Aaron Miles
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

I agree with most of that, they shouldve been in more Final Fours. That team was pretty sick, but Melo was only a freshman. You dont see too many teams whose star is a frosh end up winning it all. Just look at Florida over OSU (Oden) in 07, Kansas over Memphis (Rose) in 08. What makes it even more impressive was that Kansas team that Cuse beat was stacked - Hinrich, Collison, Wayne Simien, Keith Langford, Aaron Miles

I think Warrick gets somewhat overshadowed on that Syracuse team, especially his awesome defense. The 2002-03 Orange had a pretty deep bench and good role players.

capt. scotty

Warrick was a force in college, great all around. Im surprised he didnt turn out to be a bigtime bench player in the pros. McNamera was also damn good even as a frosh. Looking at their roster, I remember Duany, Edelin, and Pace being solid.

Melo still was that team's star and leader though.

Jaimoe

QuoteWarrick was a force in college, great all around. Im surprised he didnt turn out to be a bigtime bench player in the pros. McNamera was also damn good even as a frosh. Looking at their roster, I remember Duany, Edelin, and Pace being solid.

Melo still was that team's star and leader though.

After playing in Europe and in the DL, Johnny Mac is now an assistant to Boeheim. Hakim is a key bench player and occassional starter with the Suns (he had an uneven career with Memphis). He's already had some big games this season, although it helps getting passes from a good old Canadian boy  :)

iLikeBeer

QuoteHey iLikeBeer, I wouldn't single out UK for stocking their rosters with one-and-done players. This is a trend that afflicts most big Division 1 programs.

I wasn't trying to single UK out.  I was merely using them as an example of a growing trend that I don't like in major college hoops.  Personally, I think forcing these phenoms to do their one year of pennance for a college team before turning pro actually hurts NCAA basketball more than if these players could just go pro straight from HS?!

capt. scotty

QuoteHey iLikeBeer, I wouldn't single out UK for stocking their rosters with one-and-done players. This is a trend that afflicts most big Division 1 programs.

I wasn't trying to single UK out.  I was merely using them as an example of a growing trend that I don't like in major college hoops.  Personally, I think forcing these phenoms to do their one year of pennance for a college team before turning pro actually hurts NCAA basketball more than if these players could just go pro straight from HS?!

I agree, but it helps the NBA/teams by not drafting a HS bust, as well as HS players finding out how good they really are after 1 yr in college.

iLikeBeer

I agree, but it helps the NBA/teams by not drafting a HS bust, as well as HS players finding out how good they really are after 1 yr in college.

I think you know my feelings regarding the Association.  The NBA can go to hell for all I care, so I don't give a damn if this BS rule helps the Associaton or not...  :P   ;)   8-)

capt. scotty

I dont care about the NBA either, just pointing what their rationale likely is

adam w

agree with ilikebeer to a good extent. i'm a UGA fan, and we have a solid veteran team this year...but it just ain't fair that kentucky can bring in an entirely new cast of freshmen this year & prob take home the SEC East.

at least college football keeps the kids around for a couple years...no one recruiting class can have that immediate of impact right away (also the nature of the game though)

capt. scotty

Quoteagree with ilikebeer to a good extent. i'm a UGA fan, and we have a solid veteran team this year...but it just ain't fair that kentucky can bring in an entirely new cast of freshmen this year & prob take home the SEC East.

at least college football keeps the kids around for a couple years...no one recruiting class can have that immediate of impact right away (also the nature of the game though)

Which is why its not even feasible in the NFL, an 18yr old 99% of the time would get slaughtered. Adrian Peterson is about the only guy I could think of who was so ahead of the curve his freshman yr that he arguably couldve gone straight to the pros.

The best of best in HS for basketball can go straight to the pros, although that doesnt necessarily mean the best player annually. Some years have more talent than others. It hurts college basketball, but hey, plenty of players have shown theyre ready for the NBA at that point. I just saw today that NBA players sent a new petition or something along those lines to lower the age requirement.

Jaimoe

Quoteagree with ilikebeer to a good extent. i'm a UGA fan, and we have a solid veteran team this year...but it just ain't fair that kentucky can bring in an entirely new cast of freshmen this year & prob take home the SEC East.

Which is why its not even feasible in the NFL, an 18yr old 99% of the time would get slaughtered. Adrian Peterson is about the only guy I could think of who was so ahead of the curve his freshman yr that he arguably couldve gone straight to the pros.

The best of best in HS for basketball can go straight to the pros, although that doesnt necessarily mean the best player annually. Some years have more talent than others. It hurts college basketball, but hey, plenty of players have shown theyre ready for the NBA at that point. I just saw today that NBA players sent a new petition or something along those lines to lower the age requirement.

Jumping straight to the NBA and NFL are real gambles for high schoolers since these leagues have no minor leagues to fall back on, although the elite players in the CFL (not a minor league, just a distinctly different and far less lucrative) make a decent living. The NBA-DL is a joke. I believe players make $20-25 grand. We are seeing a lot more 18-year-old NHL rookies (18 is the youngest draft eligible age), but most make an impact at 20-23; the AHL is a good league, but you wouldn't want to try to retire earning a 2-way contract for 10 years. MLB has the best minors and it's a good thing since it's nearly impossible to make the Bigs right out of high school.