Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

BH

It reached over 70 degrees on this fine day in February.   A day that brought the following news:

1.   MMJ is playing VH1 Storytellers and I can't go but lots of my forum friends will be there I know!

2.   My favorite Formula 1 driver, Nick Heidfeld, will be back behind the wheel this year with a solid Lotus Renault team!

3.  Albert Pujols signed a 300 million dollar extension!  (OK that didn't happen unfortunately but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.)

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

Had a patient yesterday, David Schubert, dont remember his age but he was probably around 90...First thing he says to the girl helping me get him into bed is "How u doin? Youre pretty"...Next thing is he says is "did you know my great-grandfather was Franz Schubert?"...The octogenarian pick-up game cracked me up, but it was also rather awesome to meet a descendent of a legendary classical pianist. Nice guy, too.

Went to a Five Guys last week that's on the way of my 2hr school commute, got some fries and a drink. Drove past it again today for class this week, went in with my empty plastic cup from last week and got another free refill..It felt really awesome, I probably got a semi from the rush of drink theft.

Seeing Dr. Dog tomorrow for the first time
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Cheetara

Green Tea & Dark Chocolate  :coffee:
~The only thing you ever have to truly know in life is Yourself~

Jon T.

If anyone gets bored, check out these pictures.  They are of a tribute for Yancy Spencer, a local guy and national surfing legend who just passed away last week.  Had a heart attack after surfing out in Malibu, I believe.   Kind of a poetic way for him to go.  He was known as best surfer on the east coast.  Super, super nice guy.  Treated everyone the same, regardless of surfing talent.  Just a real ambassador for the sport.  Very spirtual guy, and opened up some very successful surf shops in the panhandle area by the name of Innerlight.  If you've been to the Florida panhandle, chances are you've been to one of his surf shops.  Anyway, these pictures are very cool.   The are of a "paddle out" which is when you paddle out on anything you can and form a circle in the water and share stories, leave flowers, splash water over yourself or whatever else you feel necessary.  Very humbling tribute.

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=DP&Date=20110220&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=102200807&Ref=PH

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=DP&Date=20110220&Category=NEWS09&ArtNo=102200808&Ref=PH

ophidiophobia

This last weekend was opening weekend for Oklahoma State baseball. I'd been having baseball withdraws since the Monday after Super Bowl. It was great to get outside and enjoy the game with friends. Not sure how good we will be but I'm always ready for baseball at the end of winter.

darkglow

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 21, 2011, 11:21 AM
If anyone gets bored, check out these pictures.  They are of a tribute for Yancy Spencer, a local guy and national surfing legend who just passed away last week.  Had a heart attack after surfing out in Malibu, I believe.   Kind of a poetic way for him to go.  He was known as best surfer on the east coast.  Super, super nice guy.  Treated everyone the same, regardless of surfing talent.  Just a real ambassador for the sport.  Very spirtual guy, and opened up some very successful surf shops in the panhandle area by the name of Innerlight.  If you've been to the Florida panhandle, chances are you've been to one of his surf shops.  Anyway, these pictures are very cool.   The are of a "paddle out" which is when you paddle out on anything you can and form a circle in the water and share stories, leave flowers, splash water over yourself or whatever else you feel necessary.  Very humbling tribute.

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=DP&Date=20110220&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=102200807&Ref=PH

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=DP&Date=20110220&Category=NEWS09&ArtNo=102200808&Ref=PH

man jon... i had no idea this was going on but i would have probably gone if i had. i'm not very big into surfing but i do remember the occasional stops i'd make at the Innerlight shop in gulf breeze for beach apparel, and seeing all the pictures of Yancy on the walls. I believe that is the original "innerlight", no? he seemed like a really genuine guy based on all the accounts i've heard of him.

very cool photos of a ceremonial thing i was previously oblivious to.. thanks for sharin'

Jon T.

Quote from: darkglow on Feb 21, 2011, 06:40 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 21, 2011, 11:21 AM

man jon... i had no idea this was going on but i would have probably gone if i had. i'm not very big into surfing but i do remember the occasional stops i'd make at the Innerlight shop in gulf breeze for beach apparel, and seeing all the pictures of Yancy on the walls. I believe that is the original "innerlight", no? he seemed like a really genuine guy based on all the accounts i've heard of him.

very cool photos of a ceremonial thing i was previously oblivious to.. thanks for sharin'

No problem, man.  Glad you enjoyed it.  I thought it was fitting as Current Joy.  As sad as it is for someone to go early (he was 60), he lived a pretty awesome life and died doing what he loved.  It's a pretty neat story and you can find a lot of articles about him on pnj.com. Also, my wife showed me one of his son's facebook page.  It's pretty moving to read all of the comments and especially his son's status updates throughout the week.  You can search for Yancy Spencer.  That was his son's name too, (not a private profile).

Anwyay, yes, great guy.  The orignal Innerlight was in Gulf Breeze, yes.  Although not in the same spot that it is now.

darkglow

weather was absolutely amazing today in FL. I spent my President's Day off work fishing on the beach in Perdido Key, where I caught my first ever salt water fish and also a pretty sweet amount of tan.

woodnymph

Wow Tyler congrats! Shewt!  :o

Aaaaand on a very similar note (j/k)....... my current joys (in a snowy-ass Pittsburgh) may include the following:

a.)I made it home alive with no accidents caused by myself or others
b.)I pushed my boss's car halfway up a hill (with MY car, mind you!) when we all left work together tonight and I saw he was stuck. I offered to drive his car while he pushed it, and that was a feeble attempt.... so he suggested I creep up behind his car and push him with my car.... and it was a success! ....I only have one more week of work left before I move to Asheville, but maybe I could get a bonus check now please??!?  ::)  :P

Hope everyone else in the snow realm are ok today!  :)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Jon T.

Quote from: darkglow on Feb 21, 2011, 09:54 PM
weather was absolutely amazing today in FL. I spent my President's Day off work fishing on the beach in Perdido Key, where I caught my first ever salt water fish and also a pretty sweet amount of tan.

Nice Redfish!  Those things are fun as hell to fight, aren't they.  Stong little suckers.  Did you eat it?  Those things blacken up real nicelike.

bowl of soup

That's a sweet Red!  Now Jon, you know that there's no way he ate that monster - it's about a foot over the slot.  Did you catch that off of the beach?
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jon T.

Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 22, 2011, 10:00 AM
That's a sweet Red!  Now Jon, you know that there's no way he ate that monster - it's about a foot over the slot.  Did you catch that off of the beach?

Yeah, definitely.  For some reason I was thinking slot was 18-36 inches.  But, it's 18-27.  What was that JT?  32 inches?

darkglow

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 22, 2011, 10:38 AM
Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 22, 2011, 10:00 AM

Yeah, definitely.  For some reason I was thinking slot was 18-36 inches.  But, it's 18-27.  What was that JT?  32 inches?

It was 36, guys. And according to my friend you can bag any type of drum (1 per day) up to that size.

Happy Margarita Day, guys! Celebrating it in full force tonight.

darkglow

btw i dont think a 36 inch drum would be a good size fish for eatin'.. unless you are a redneck and could care less about taste and more about puttin more food on the tables.. which there are alot of those around these parts.. so

bowl of soup

Quote from: darkglow on Feb 22, 2011, 02:38 PM
btw i dont think a 36 inch drum would be a good size fish for eatin'.. unless you are a redneck and could care less about taste and more about puttin more food on the tables.. which there are alot of those around these parts.. so

Well, I'm not sure about that - I've never eaten a red that big, but I did eat a 27" one about 2 months ago (it was close; we had to push his lips in to make him legal) and I found the taste to be quite delightful.  Blackened and eaten with my hands straight out of the cast-iron skillet - nothing else.  Best fish ever.

Better check with your friend again, I think he must just be hungry - you can't keep any red over 27"; at least not down here.

Jon T.

Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 23, 2011, 09:39 AM

Better check with your friend again, I think he must just be hungry - you can't keep any red over 27"; at least not down here.

It's definitely 18-27 in FL.  I think AL might let you keep one over slot.

Soup, you get any crawfish down there?  It's getting about that time!

bowl of soup

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 23, 2011, 10:33 AM

We really don't get 'em down here.  At least not that I know of, unless you want you but frozen ones at Publix.  I do occasionally buy the frozen cooked tail meet and make Roban sauce with 'em.  Sauteed garlic, half Alfredo / half cream, cayenne, blackened redfish seasoning, handful of chopped green onions.  Throw the tails in at the end to heat.

You can put that shit on anything - but it's great on pasta or over the above-mentioned blackened redfish.  I miss just about everything about P'cola, but Springtime crawfish boils are in my top 3.

Ruckus

Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 23, 2011, 03:17 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 23, 2011, 10:33 AM

We really don't get 'em down here.  At least not that I know of, unless you want you but frozen ones at Publix.  I do occasionally buy the frozen cooked tail meet and make Roban sauce with 'em.  Sauteed garlic, half Alfredo / half cream, cayenne, blackened redfish seasoning, handful of chopped green onions.  Throw the tails in at the end to heat.

You can put that shit on anything - but it's great on pasta or over the above-mentioned blackened redfish.  I miss just about everything about P'cola, but Springtime crawfish boils are in my top 3.
*Drools on beard*
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

joey_rogo

not sure if this should go in the opposite thread than this one. but today is mitch hedberg's birthday. :)

:'(