Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Leontheslut

He really took that shot like a champ!

Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Vadie Stark

What's the deal with the A's purging their pitching staff? I can't understand Blanton is kind of unstable but what about Harden and letting Houston Street go? I haven't seen him pitch much, but in the limited # of times he impressed me. His numbers also looked pretty good.

I would say that the A's are my second AL team. I love their pitchers. I'm a Twins fan, and the A's and Twins are kind of the same. We get ours, and we get rid. We can't afford to buy championships (not saying the Phil's did), but we also can't afford to keep the great players that make it. The A's must of knew something, because Mulder, Hudson, and Zito haven't really done much since leaving. It seems there's always someone new they're bringing up. I have three A's pitchers in my money league. Yeah, they're young, but when's the last time the A's didn't have young, and good starting pitching.
You would just think with producing all those great arms they should be getting better value for their players. I understand there is nothing you can do when a player walks in FA, but what about with trades? Would you say they are getting good offensive prospects for these guys?

Okay I'm going to rant about the Twins. Santana and Hunter leaving still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like you said, getting value. We didn't get shit for Santana. Carlos Gomez is fast and stupid. Have you ever heard in all the years of baseball...that a coach had to shine a flashlight in a player's eyes because they weren't paying attention? I haven't. The guy is an idiot, but he's still so young that I should give the benefit of the doubt. I just don't want to hate a player into my 30's you know? But it seemed to me that the Twins lied to the fans. They always talk future, and they always talked about needing a stadium to compete in FA. The future was Santana and Hunter. The future has a stadium that's getting built. What the hell happened? Our owner just died, but he was the richest of all the owners in baseball. What the fuck?

As for the A's Edtombell would explain that situation better...
I've never lived in a big league city so my view is different than locals.
Some ballplayers might not be that bright so a light might help.I know that if a player in the dugout gets hit by a foul because they aren't paying attention he gets fined. I don't even know why some guys are even in the MLB, for the money I guess.It' all about the money.
There is so much happening it's hard to keep up. Just trying to find out what happened and where all the players went each year is tough. Let alone all the other. I lived near an ml park when I was a kid,went all the time, little rascal style ,you know one of the fence boards had one nail at the top it was a door ;) I would also climb the scoreboard from the back and watch from there hang the metal #'s with the scorekeeper :) Never paid never had $ probably only bought snacks maybe half dozen times we was poor.We couldn't even afford clothes When I was 5 my Mom gave me a hat so I could look out the window. Anyway
You can't get too attached to players in the minors because of the horse trading and call ups and all that. Such competition for a spot with a club and a contract. The way the player drafted,media buzz, name all that.
Bsides wtfdoiknow ;D ;D ;D
It's also true for the MLB as well, players come and go. In Philly we were all attached to Burrell and there was a considerable backlash when they let him walk. In hindsight Ibanez was a great pickup. He is more consistent with his bat and a slightly better fielder.

I could see how ML ball could e more exciting. You have guys hungry for a payday, so you see a lot of effort. You don't always get that attitude in the MLB.
I hear you I  love the Bigs but it is whack with all the star shit and crybaby stuff.  For shit sake it's the same game we all played as
kids and somehow a whole bunch of people get to stay kids and get paid.FAT! Couldn't you just kill your folks for making you come in and do your homework instead of just letting you play.90% of fans have no clue of the farm system or give it the respect it deserves.But the Ml is where you go from the playground to the bigs and the bigs to the grave.IMO :)
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Vadie Stark

QuotePhils game just went on rain delay. Thankfully it's in the 7th so, if it keeps raining they will probably just call it. Good thing the Phils are up 10-3
A's tryin to get it going Jack scores.Phuck 3 away Let's get three and get some runs. Phil Have 11 don't they. I got A's on Hi-def and gameday up with Phils Waiting for Cat/Beavs in Portland also Blazer game tonight
I'm gonnna watch more A's games. After all they are originally ours (phillys)  ;) :P
:P Der weren't they a farm team for Yanks ;)
wish my memory was better. Shoot this thing went out again..where's my bic.

Vadie Stark

Leontheslut

QuotePhils game just went on rain delay. Thankfully it's in the 7th so, if it keeps raining they will probably just call it. Good thing the Phils are up 10-3
A's tryin to get it going Jack scores.Phuck 3 away Let's get three and get some runs. Phil Have 11 don't they. I got A's on Hi-def and gameday up with Phils Waiting for Cat/Beavs in Portland also Blazer game tonight
I'm gonnna watch more A's games. After all they are originally ours (phillys)  ;) :P
Philadelphia Athletics!
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

capt. scotty

Buccos just beat Florida again. Theyve beaten the Marlins twice as much as every other team in the league.

No. Big. Deal.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Vadie Stark

Philadelphia Athletics!
1901- 1955 then to KC. But when they were founded in '01 as part of the brand new AL was the team brand new or did it exist as a different team like an expansion type thing? Know what I Mean?
Lot of info to try and keep straight in that base ball world.

Vadie Stark

QuoteBuccos just beat Florida again. Theyve beaten the Marlins twice as much as every other team in the league.

No. Big. Deal.
True.
Buc's was AAA Portland parent club at one time. In 1980 I saw your  79 champs Play Our Beavers w/home run derby before game.Bucs won both >:(

capt. scotty

QuoteBuccos just beat Florida again. Theyve beaten the Marlins twice as much as every other team in the league.

No. Big. Deal.
True.
Buc's was AAA Portland parent club at one time. In 1980 I saw your  79 champs Play Our Beavers w/home run derby before game.Bucs won both >:(

Sounds like fun. I didnt realize they won that late in the 70's. I thought their WS wins were in the earlier 70's

I guess that means we won both the World Series an Super Bowl that year.

Im not surprised. Pittsburgh is pretty much the nucleus of awesome.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Vadie Stark

No. Big. Deal.
True.

Sounds like fun. I didnt realize they won that late in the 70's. I thought their WS wins were in the earlier 70's
that was yer 5th I need to look up the rest  :) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]btw it was fun yes.
Phils were a Portland parent once too in AA  ball they even pissed us all off changing the team name to the Phillies dumb phuckers ;D
Things got put right later with new club and the Beavs were back in the AAA .....memories ;D Am I right Leon? :)

capt. scotty

I know we won more WS way back in the Honus Wagner and Ralph Kiner days, just didnt realize they won that late in the 70's.

I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure Clemente was dead by 79 for awhile at that point, which is why I didnt think they won in the late 70's  :'(

Vadie Stark

QuoteI know we won more WS way back in the Honus Wagner and Ralph Kiner days, just didnt realize they won that late in the 70's.

I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure Clemente was dead by 79 for awhile at that point, which is why I didnt think they won in the late 70's  :'(

By 73 NYE 72 to be exact w/Bucs since 1955 only team ;)

TheBigChicken

QuoteI know we won more WS way back in the Honus Wagner and Ralph Kiner days, just didnt realize they won that late in the 70's.

Clemente WAS dead by 1979 but they had Parker,Easler,Stargell to name a couple...shit man how old are you 14....go to school
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Leontheslut

Clemente is one of the best ever! I love the fact that he got his 3,000 hit on his last AB of his life.

Leontheslut

Philadelphia Athletics!
1901- 1955 then to KC. But when they were founded in '01 as part of the brand new AL was the team brand new or did it exist as a different team like an expansion type thing? Know what I Mean?
On there site they still credit themselves as being from Philly, so I assume it's still the same team.

Look at the players they had when in Philly!

Frank Baker, Chief Bender, Ty Cobb, Mickey Cochrane, Eddie Collins Sr. Jimmie Foxx, Nelson Fox, Lefty Grove, George Kell, Nap Lajoie, Connie Mack, Eddie Plank, Al Simmons, Tris Speaker, Rube Waddell, and Zack Wheat.

Ty Cobb is undoubtedly the best hitter of all time IMO. No one will ever touch his ability to hit. I think in his worst season he hit a .323

Leontheslut

No. Big. Deal.
With FL it's always hard to tell if they are for real or not. They were hot for a while last year, but fizzled out.

Leontheslut

No. Big. Deal.
True.

that was yer 5th I need to look up the rest  :) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]btw it was fun yes.
Phils were a Portland parent once too in AA  ball they even pissed us all off changing the team name to the Phillies dumb phuckers ;D
Things got put right later with new club and the Beavs were back in the AAA .....memories ;D Am I right Leon? :)
I'm not sure, this is what I have always heard....

No one could have realized it at the time, but when the Phillies were formed in 1883, history was in the making. Now, as the 21st century begins, the Phillies are the oldest, continuous, one-name, one-city franchise in all of professional sports.

The original Phillies began when the Worcester Ruby Legs were disbanded and the franchise was moved by the National League to Philadelphia. Al Reach, who in 1866 had become the first professional baseball player and was later a successful sporting goods dealer, became the Phillies first owner along with attorney John Rogers. Reach named the team the Phillies, a take-off on the team's geographic roots, "Philly."

Leontheslut

Oh yeah since 1883 we have only won two championships.  lol*cry*

Vadie Stark

Philadelphia Athletics!
On there site they still credit themselves as being from Philly, so I assume it's still the same team.

Look at the players they had when in Philly!

Frank Baker, Chief Bender, Ty Cobb, Mickey Cochrane, Eddie Collins Sr. Jimmie Foxx, Nelson Fox, Lefty Grove, George Kell, Nap Lajoie, Connie Mack, Eddie Plank, Al Simmons, Tris Speaker, Rube Waddell, and Zack Wheat.

Ty Cobb is undoubtedly the best hitter of all time IMO. No one will ever touch his ability to hit. I think in his worst season he hit a .323

Just  thought I heard that during an A's broadcast. Baseball is a great history lesson. Impressive list. I need to learn more wtf is it a game of stats or something? Thought the Pitts/Beavs  Phils/Beav connection funny..