Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

.Walt

That picture never gets old. Make sure to post it around Mid August.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

QuoteWalt what you drinkin' ;) can't decipher lasts post ;D I  know the sound I think it's a fan doing it that's why it's random. Lot's a stuff goes on in the stands. When I was there last year they had a mariachi band play in the outfield bleacher when Carlos Gonzalez was at bat. So your guess is as good as mine. :) :) :)
My son and I had a blast at our game. Forgot tix had to see tix agent and get comps so it was an upgrade cuz the comps get us to the club level for better food and they don't cut drinks off in the 8th. Cats lose but still big fun. Brett Butler former big leaguer is Reno's manager so we had fun with him in the 3b coaches box. We also got to jaw a little post game as he was leaving the concourse. Nice guy doing good in Reno great player back when too. :)

Drinking? Hey, I'm not the one who forgot the tickets!  ;)

Just giving a welcome to the newest forum member MLBrady. I think he already hates me, but I think it's a cool name. Glad you had a good time at the game.

Oh...and yeah, I did drink a few with the old man. We kept it classy, straight Buschhhhh  8-)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Vadie Stark

Might have to forget my tickets more often, if I get a comp upgrade and my unused tix are good for any Mon Tue Wed or last friday of the month. I'm making out. And the guy behind in the club bar gave me two tix so not a bad day.  8-)  About 80 at the park Tony D our manager got tossed and did the walk of shame all the way out thru a gate center field. It would have been better had it been Butler. Still entertaining but Cats played k rappy and lost. The more I watch Daric Barton the more I think he needs to go to the Texas League. He needs to pull the big league bat out of his ass and accept the fact A's wont need him until he can play AAA ball at least maybe Cane County but Texas sucks enough ask the guys from there. You know the best thing out of Texas? Highway 10, Delta Airlines anything just get out.
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

TEO

Getting ready to go see the Indians play the WB/Scranton Yankees today. Gonna' keep my eyes peeled for Michael, Ryan, or Jim.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Vadie Stark

QuoteGetting ready to go see the Indians play the WB/Scranton Yankees today. Gonna' keep my eyes peeled for Michael, Ryan, or Jim.

I don't look at the IL as much as I'd like or have in the past. What great league. I remember your OF Salazar from Tucson and Yank's Todd Linden was in SF then Fla. He started 2008 here in Sacramento. Must look at the IL more. Yanks playing .800 ball. Good Luck.

Jaimoe

Manny Ramirez may get banned for 50 games for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. I wish he still played in Boston.

capt. scotty

QuoteManny Ramirez may get banned for 50 games for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. I wish he still played in Boston.

I dont think its a question, its a done deal.

He isnt even appealing the 50 game ruling apparently

I cant say im surprised
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

At least Pujols is someone we can all still believe in.  You may be skeptical, but I'm not.  He's clean as the driven snow.

Speaking of Pujols, I noticed something interesting today. Albert has 11 home runs and only 9 strikeouts so far this season.

It got me thinking.  Has anyone ever ended a season with more home runs than strikeouts, with a minimum of 40 home runs hit in the season?  Well, I found quite a few actually.

Ted Kluszewski did it three times!

Johnny Mize did it twice.

Lou Gehrig did it twice.

Joe Demmagio once.

Mel Ott once.

Barry Bonds once.

Only one player has hit at least 50 HRs and struck out less times than they have homered.   That would be Johnny Mize who hit 51 HR in 1947 and only struck out 42 times!  Wow.   Albert almost did it in 2006 when he had 49 homeruns and only 50 Ks.  Could he join Johnny Mize this year in this one man club?   More importantly, could he get the first NL triple crown since 1937?  How awesome would that be?

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

Ted Kluszewski is Ted Williams, right?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Vadie Stark

Manny tests pos

pos=piece of shit

Ruckus

QuoteManny tests pos

pos=piece of shit

Ehh, he just got caught.  I wonder if Pujols will ever get caught.

So I managed to make it through 4 rain delays in the O's Twins game getting soaked.  Nothing like being those last 10 people in the stadium moving up to front row getting soaked to work over some Twins.

Oh yeah, Walts, you're a Twins guy.  Who is this Tolbert guy?  I think it was his 1st MLB AB yesterday and I was working him over pretty good.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

QuoteAt least Pujols is someone we can all still believe in.  You may be skeptical, but I'm not.  He's clean as the driven snow.

Speaking of Pujols, I noticed something interesting today. Albert has 11 home runs and only 9 strikeouts so far this season.

It got me thinking.  Has anyone ever ended a season with more home runs than strikeouts, with a minimum of 40 home runs hit in the season?  Well, I found quite a few actually.

Ted Kluszewski did it three times!

Johnny Mize did it twice.

Lou Gehrig did it twice.

Joe Demmagio once.

Mel Ott once.

Barry Bonds once.

Only one player has hit at least 50 HRs and struck out less times than they have homered.   That would be Johnny Mize who hit 51 HR in 1947 and only struck out 42 times!  Wow.   Albert almost did it in 2006 when he had 49 homeruns and only 50 Ks.  Could he join Johnny Mize this year in this one man club?   More importantly, could he get the first NL triple crown since 1937?  How awesome would that be?

Yeah, it is amazing what Pujols is doing.  Absolutely the best hitter in baseball.

But c'mon, ya gotta believe he's juiced.  No one can be that good against this level of pitching so consistently.  He smashes the ball everywhere.  I've never seen a hitter with such plate discipline and the ability to smash any ball in the zone...a joy to watch though I hate the Cards.

No 13th round pick becomes the best hitter in baseball w/o some V8

BH

Quote I've never seen a hitter with such plate discipline  

Exactly!  Which has nothing to do with steriods.

He's clean.  Believe it.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

By the way, just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you hate the Cardinals?  Is it just because they win all the time?

Vadie Stark

Great posts guys. I like the way this is getting spun on SC.
Look at guys that don't juice.

Ruckus

Vadie Stark

QuoteBy the way, just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you hate the Cardinals?  Is it just because they win all the time?

That and the fact they play with their Pujols.

Ruckus

QuoteGreat posts guys. I like the way this is getting spun on SC.
Look at guys that don't juice.

Ahh Eddie Gaedel, I read a book on him when I was in elementary school I think.

If you haven't read this story (from Wiki)... ;D ;D ;D

Gaedel was secretly signed by the St. Louis Browns and put in uniform (complete with elf slippers & the number "[ch8539]" on the back) as a publicity stunt by maverick Browns owner and showman Bill Veeck.

Gaedel popped out of a papier-mache cake between games of a doubleheader to celebrate the American League's 50th anniversary, and as a Falstaff Brewery promotion. Falstaff, and the fans, had been promised a "festival of surprises" by Veeck. Before the second game got underway, the press agreed that the "midget-in-a-cake" appearance had not been up to Veeck's usual promotional standard. Falstaff personnel, who had been promised national publicity for their participation, were particularly dissatisfied. Keeping the surprise he had in store for the second game to himself, Veeck just meekly apologized.

Ruckus

Quote I've never seen a hitter with such plate discipline  

Exactly!  Which has nothing to do with steriods.

He's clean.  Believe it.

I'm not so sure about that.  People always talk about it affecting power but it affects plate discipline and thus batting average as well.

By using PEDs, a player typically increases his bat speed (building of fast twitch muscles).  As a result, a hitter is able to wait longer on a pitch, thus 1) being better able to decipher it  and 2) better pinpoint the final location of it as it crosses the plate.  That split second of being able to wait longer makes all the difference in the world between walking, striking out and hitting a bomb.  Just look at Bonds during his ridiculous reign with the Giants.

Personally, I just don't understand why people defend these players.  Had I played in the 90s and early 2000's I would have thought you were an idiot if you didn't use PED's.  I know I would have taken everything available to me.

Big Papi needs to get back on the stuff 'cuz he tooks terrible.  I love how they talk about his wrist injury and knee as to why he sucks and can't get his swing back. ::)