Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyReds

QuoteAt least Pujols is someone we can all still believe in.  You may be skeptical, but I'm not.  He's clean as the driven snow.

Speaking of Pujols, I noticed something interesting today. Albert has 11 home runs and only 9 strikeouts so far this season.

It got me thinking.  Has anyone ever ended a season with more home runs than strikeouts, with a minimum of 40 home runs hit in the season?  Well, I found quite a few actually.

Ted Kluszewski did it three times!

Johnny Mize did it twice.

Lou Gehrig did it twice.

Joe Demmagio once.

Mel Ott once.

Barry Bonds once.

Only one player has hit at least 50 HRs and struck out less times than they have homered.   That would be Johnny Mize who hit 51 HR in 1947 and only struck out 42 times!  Wow.   Albert almost did it in 2006 when he had 49 homeruns and only 50 Ks.  Could he join Johnny Mize this year in this one man club?   More importantly, could he get the first NL triple crown since 1937?  How awesome would that be?

Bullshit
As long as you keep a straight face...

MickeyReds

We should have known

Vadie Stark

Today's Dodgers Fan

Leave Manny alone Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Just leave Manny alooooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeeeee. wwwwwwaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

capt. scotty

You do like to recycle  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Vadie Stark

QuoteYou do like to recycle  ;D
;) ;D

TEO

QuoteGetting ready to go see the Indians play the WB/Scranton Yankees today. Gonna' keep my eyes peeled for Michael, Ryan, or Jim.

I don't look at the IL as much as I'd like or have in the past. What great league. I remember your OF Salazar from Tucson and Yank's Todd Linden was in SF then Fla. He started 2008 here in Sacramento. Must look at the IL more. Yanks playing .800 ball. Good Luck.
Yeah, they did beat our ass handily at least in the first game of the double header today...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Vadie Stark

7 inning double headers in the AAA suck

BH

Call bullshit all you want.  Pujols is clean.  Mark my words.  If he tests positive I will become a Cubs fan.  Which to me, is only one step better than pulling out my finger nails and setting my hair on fire.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Taterbug

QuoteCall bullshit all you want.  Pujols is clean.  Mark my words.  If he tests positive I will become a Cubs fan.  Which to me, is only one step better than pulling out my finger nails and setting my hair on fire.

Wait a minute... you said the same thing about Mark McGwire   ;)

I will send you some Cubby stuff that I found in the garbage after last years playoffs...

GO WHITE SOX  :'(

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

.Walt

Okay, Tater I've commented on Joe Mauer's corn a couple times now. I basically wanted to tell you that I use that line. It's a classic! Thank you!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

aMillionDreams

QuoteTed Kluszewski is Ted Williams, right?

You've got to be joking, but since I don't see a winking smiley:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kluszewski
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

.Walt

QuoteCall bullshit all you want.  Pujols is clean.  Mark my words.  If he tests positive I will become a Cubs fan.  Which to me, is only one step better than pulling out my finger nails and setting my hair on fire.

I take it you read the SI article on him? If you didn't, it's good. I really want to believe to him. He says all the right things, but so did Palmerio. If I had to choose, I'd say he's clean, but I really don't know anymore. It's sad that it's like that now, for every player.

aMillionDreams

I'm to the point I think they should just let the guys take them.  It's only cheating if it's against the rules.

BH, you're delusional if you think Pooholes is completely clean.  People don't get that ripped naturally.  Name one person in any sport who has biceps that ripped and isn't on the juice.  

The Ortez thing drives me crazy. All the analysts are like "He's lost his bat speed and power all of a sudden, I don't know WHAT it could be!"
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

.Walt

The Ortez thing drives me crazy. All the analysts are like "He's lost his bat speed and power all of a sudden, I don't know WHAT it could be!"

So you don't wanna trade for Oritz? He's straight junk this year. Hopefully he'll come around, but he's playing like the David Oritz that played for the Twins...straight junk.

MickeyReds

I will send you some Cubby stuff that I found in the garbage after last years playoffs...

Ill make sure to remember this.

Vadie Stark

Grand Slam Jack Cust Just Now

HELL YEAH

BH

Ill make sure to remember this.

Don't worry, I won't let you forget.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Taterbug

QuoteOkay, Tater I've commented on Joe Mauer's corn a couple times now. I basically wanted to tell you that I use that line. It's a classic! Thank you!

Sorry Walts.. I can't  for the life of me remember the line.  Help me out and a refresh my memory so I can use it again  :)..  Sorry dude.. a mind is a terrible thing to waste.  I think the short term memory loss thing is starting to happen  ( my Mom also told me that if I keep smokin that shit I would grow boobs. ).  To bad, I would love some "D" cups of my own. I would never leave the house  ;).
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

MickeyReds

Vadie Stark

The Harmful Effects of Steroids-

Steroids are synthetic hormones that were originally created for medicinal purposes. Anabolic steroids can be used to promote bone growth, appetite and to rebuild muscle that is wasted away by cancer and AIDS. In cases of life or death, the adverse side effects of steroids are worth the risk. However, the use of steroids in sports or bodybuilding, is a risk which certainly outweighs the benefits. This is a reason why steroids are a controlled substance in most countries. In the United States, the illegal possession of steroids carries a minimum fine of $1000 and a maximum sentence of one year in jail if it is the person's first drug offense. The penalty for trafficking steroids is five years and $250,000 in fines. Steroids are also banned from almost every sporting committee, from the National Collegiate Athletic Association to the International Olympic Committee.

The reason for such stringent laws against steroid use is that they are extremely harmful to the human body. Steroids cause a multitude of problems, some of which we might not have identified yet because we are still monitoring the health conditions of long time steroid users. These problems include acne, nose bleeds, premature balding, stunted growth, dizziness, severe mood swings from aggression to depression, hallucinations, paranoia, sleep loss, nausea, trembling, high blood pressure, damage to the heart, prostate enlargement, aching joints, greater chance of injuring muscles and tendons, liver damage, jaundice, urinary dysfunction, testicular shrinkage, breast development, impotence, sterility and increased chance of certain cancers, stroke and heart disease.

Many of the psychological problems can also lead to violence due to impaired judgment, extreme irritability and feelings of invincibility. This last year, a famous wrestler, Chris Benoit, strangled his wife and his 7 year old son before hanging himself due to steroids. The drug pharmacy who sold him steroids and growth hormone plead guilty to charges of distributing steroids. Eddie Guerrero, another wrestler and friend of Benoit's, died in 2005 from heart failure. Guerrero had stopped using steroids four years earlier but had already formed heart complications from weak blood vessels. Bottom line is, steroids can kill and unless they are being used for medicinal purposes, no one should use steroids or they are at a great health risk.

STEROIDS!!!!!! DID A-ROD TAKE STEROIDS?! DID BARRY BONDS TAKE STEROIDS?! OMG OMG.... yes they took steroids.  I cannot understand why this is so unbelievably outrageous to so many people.  There are two reasons why I'm not outraged at all.

I see professional sports as an exercise in opportunity costs.  Most athletes spend years working on their craft.  Hours are spent in the gym every day trying to improve themselves in small increments.  They could certainly be doing other things with their time.  Yet it is their dedication and willingness to sacrifice that makes them truly great.  Steroid use is, in some sense, the extreme example of sacrifice for success.  People say it is cheating, but I see it as an athlete's willingness to risk his/her body for fame. All athletes give up something to be great.

Secondly, it would be unbelievably wrong to restrict what someone can do to their own body based on my own beliefs.  I certainly do not advocate steroid use.  I would never use something so dangerous (I barely drink coffee, let alone steroids).  Yet no other person should be forced to live their lives in accordance with my values.  If they deem steroid use to be beneficial enough to overcome the risk of death, then by all means, go nuts.

Ultimately we should not be restricting the use of steroids, but promoting the spread of information about steroid use.  All choices are associated with costs, and steroid use comes with a tremendous cost.  However, it is not my place to tell an athlete that he/she cannot make sacrifices or decide that the benefits do not outweigh the cost for him or her.