Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Walt

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
Ahhh Spring Training.  It's that time of year.

1st off, there is tangible excitement this year in Baltimore for the 1st time in apparently a decade and a half.  Do we think that we are going to compete for a playoff spot?  Heck no, but this team might actually have a shot to hit 80 wins if everything falls into place.  Brian Matusz is ready to take the next step as a team ace with Jeremy Guthrie and Brad Bergesen as quality innings eaters.  Add to that the talent of Jake Arrieta, the low cost signing of Justin Duscherer and the likely call up of the lefty sinkerballer Zach Britton and the rotation has some potential to be competitive.  Keep in mind that they played well over .500 ball since the arrival of Buck Showalter. 

The offensive side is even more exciting.  It won't be overpowering but it should be balanced top to bottom with Jones, Markakis and Pie or Scott in the OF with Reynolds, Hardy, Roberts and D Lee in the IF with Wieters at C and Guerrero DHing.

Is it me or is the national media somewhat ignoring the Brewers?  Yeah the Giants and Phillies are great but damn it, if they stay healthy, I'd be just as scared of the Brew Crew with the additions of Greinke and Marcum.

The O's are looking like a team to come out and see this year for sure. I'd be really excited if I were an O's fan. Every year I buy a new Twins hat and another teams hat. Could this be the O's year? The Crew being my National League team, I'm very excited about their squad. I was listening to the Chicago sports station, and they're giving the Twins all the respect...which I like. Hoping that Mornozy is back to normal. But I'm actually not that pumped up about the Twins this year. Same old Twins, and done is the first round.

Ruckus you ready to put your championship belt on the line this year in fantasy baseball? It starts pretty soon. We should think about getting that going. I just got my computer fixed, so I'll be on here more often.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Ruckus

Quote from: Walts on Mar 01, 2011, 12:06 AM

1st off, there is tangible excitement this year in Baltimore for the 1st time in apparently a decade and a half.  Do we think that we are going to compete for a playoff spot?  Heck no, but this team might actually have a shot to hit 80 wins if everything falls into place.  Brian Matusz is ready to take the next step as a team ace with Jeremy Guthrie and Brad Bergesen as quality innings eaters.  Add to that the talent of Jake Arrieta, the low cost signing of Justin Duscherer and the likely call up of the lefty sinkerballer Zach Britton and the rotation has some potential to be competitive.  Keep in mind that they played well over .500 ball since the arrival of Buck Showalter. 

The offensive side is even more exciting.  It won't be overpowering but it should be balanced top to bottom with Jones, Markakis and Pie or Scott in the OF with Reynolds, Hardy, Roberts and D Lee in the IF with Wieters at C and Guerrero DHing.

Is it me or is the national media somewhat ignoring the Brewers?  Yeah the Giants and Phillies are great but damn it, if they stay healthy, I'd be just as scared of the Brew Crew with the additions of Greinke and Marcum.

The O's are looking like a team to come out and see this year for sure. I'd be really excited if I were an O's fan. Every year I buy a new Twins hat and another teams hat. Could this be the O's year? The Crew being my National League team, I'm very excited about their squad. I was listening to the Chicago sports station, and they're giving the Twins all the respect...which I like. Hoping that Mornozy is back to normal. But I'm actually not that pumped up about the Twins this year. Same old Twins, and done is the first round.

Ruckus you ready to put your championship belt on the line this year in fantasy baseball? It starts pretty soon. We should think about getting that going. I just got my computer fixed, so I'll be on here more often.
Fuckin' A Walts!  It's good to see ya around man!  And yes, I have no problem putting my BACK TO BACK championship belts on the line MMJ forumites
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

.Walt

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 01, 2011, 12:14 AM
Quote from: Walts on Mar 01, 2011, 12:06 AM

Fuckin' A Walts!  It's good to see ya around man!  And yes, I have no problem putting my BACK TO BACK championship belts on the line MMJ forumites

Thanks man, good to see you too! It really sucked not having the internet or limited internet. But I'm back now, and shouldn't have to go through that again. I'm just hoping we don't have an odd number this year in the league. Maybe Headdy will play. Although if I remember correctly you even volunteered to pay for him. Man you're a nice guy...almost too nice.

Jaimoe

The O's have improved, but I think they'll still finish last in the East. However, the fucking Yankees have never been more beatable and the Rays teams will look alot different this season, so the battle for the wild card will be intense. The Jays will be in the thick of it, but look for them to compete more seriously next year or the year after. I think the Jays will win 85-90 this season, but if their best hitters actually hit to their potential - and I'm looking at you Adam Lind and Aaron Hill - then there's an outside chance of a wild card. I love the Jays young starting pitching staff.

Taterbug

I have high expectations for the White Sox.  I'm not convinced Adam Dunn is the answer at DH only.  I think they need to rotate Dunn &  Konerko at 1st to keep Dunn's BA from dropping.  Our pitching has a lot to prove to me if we even have a shot at keeping up with the Twins.  Peavy scares me coming off that surgery and  Buehrle is getting old.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

.Walt

Quote from: Taterbug on Mar 02, 2011, 10:13 AM
I have high expectations for the White Sox.  I'm not convinced Adam Dunn is the answer at DH only.  I think they need to rotate Dunn &  Konerko at 1st to keep Dunn's BA from dropping.  Our pitching has a lot to prove to me if we even have a shot at keeping up with the Twins.  Peavy scares me coming off that surgery and  Buehrle is getting old.

The Sox always have a chance. On paper I think the Sox have the best team in the central. I'd rank the Twins third. I wondered how the Sox are going to treat Peavy this year? I heard he's going to be the 5th starter to start the season. Man, it seems like just yesterday he was one of best in the game.

.Walt

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 01, 2011, 07:14 PM
The O's have improved, but I think they'll still finish last in the East. However, the fucking Yankees have never been more beatable and the Rays teams will look alot different this season, so the battle for the wild card will be intense. The Jays will be in the thick of it, but look for them to compete more seriously next year or the year after. I think the Jays will win 85-90 this season, but if their best hitters actually hit to their potential - and I'm looking at you Adam Lind and Aaron Hill - then there's an outside chance of a wild card. I love the Jays young starting pitching staff.

Good luck this year. Hopefully Lind and Hill can bounce back to help the young guns. In any other division the O's and Jays would have a good chance to be in the division race. I can't see anyone winning the east or the wildcard other than the Red Sox and Yankees. I just hope the Jays didn't blow their load with signing a one year wonder like Bautista. Did you like the signing?

Jaimoe

Quote from: Walts on Mar 02, 2011, 06:21 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 01, 2011, 07:14 PM

Good luck this year. Hopefully Lind and Hill can bounce back to help the young guns. In any other division the O's and Jays would have a good chance to be in the division race. I can't see anyone winning the east or the wildcard other than the Red Sox and Yankees. I just hope the Jays didn't blow their load with signing a one year wonder like Bautista. Did you like the signing?

Well, Bautista's breakout year was also the only season where he was an everyday player, so the signing didn't bother me. It's a gamble, no doubt, but the payoff is huge if - and this is a medium to BIG IF - he produces anywhere near last season's numbers. Another thing I like about Bautista is that he is still a great utility player and gives the Jays great D depth. The team has added lots of decent arms in the bullpen to go along with the best young starting staff in the AL; Hill and Lind have to get their act in gear, but GM Anthopoulos has added depth at position across the board so at least Hill could be trade-bait if he stumbles in April and May.

BTW, I'll be at the Twins-Jays home opener on April 1st. Great seats too (my wife got me tickets for my upcoming birthday).

The Yanks are beatable this season. Their starting pitching has lots of holes. AJ is a fucking tool.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 03, 2011, 07:58 AM

The Yanks are beatable this season. Their starting pitching has lots of holes. AJ is a fucking tool.

While I agree, just how good does their starting rotation have to be with the offense those effing Yankees have?  I just think the Yankees have enough to at least carry them to the wild card.  Don't forget about the Yankees bully either.  If they can get 6 innings from their starters and turn it over to their bullpen with a lead, they will be tough to beat.  But if the Yankees make the post season, I think their pitching will be fully exposed there.  They don't have a World Series caliber team.  But, I'm sure Cashman will go out and try to get the best arms available at the trading deadline to shore up any questions they have on their pitching staff.

Boston looks like the team to beat in the East by far though.  They should run away with the division with their pitching staff.

Hey Ruckus.  What do you think of the acquisitions made by the Cubs this off-season?  On paper the additions of Pena's bat and Garza's arm look to be pretty solid additions.  The Cubs desperately needed a right handed power bat in their lineup and Garza will add some much needed depth to their pitching staff.

I have also heard that big Z and Aramis have come into camp in really good shape and appear to be primed for big years!  We need Ramirez to get back to hitting 30+ homers and knocking in 100+ runs for this team to have a chance to compete. 

All in all, I think the NL Central may just be the deepest division in baseball.  I think any team between the Cards, Brewers, Reds and Cubs all have a legit shot at taking the Central.  Should make for a fun summer!  8)

Jaimoe

Ya, it's Boston's East to lose. I meant that the Yanks may struggle to get a wild card. They do not have the starters to put them into WS contention and Jeter is nearing the end, thank god.

ophidiophobia

I'm excited for Boston's chances this year. I really liked the Gonzalez trade a lot, and I think the addition of Crawford in the outfield will increase the team speed as long as Ellsbury plays the majority of the season (unlike the 18 he played last year). I agree that the Soxs' pitching staff is better than the Yanks but I think Beckett's best days are behind him. I have two concerns for this team; 1) can our catcher Saltalamacchia figure out how to throw the ball to second base, and 2) can Papelbon bounce back after the season he had last year.

Ruckus

Hey Beer...you sound rather optimistic about the Cubbies! ;D  Haven't you learned anything? ;)  I dunno, I think it might be a two horse race between the Reds and the Brewers with the Brewers taking it so long as their starting pitching stays healthy.  That's a big "IF" but Greinke is poised to have a comeback year, particularly pitching in the NL and Marcum is beast when healthy.  I just think the Cubbies might still have too many holes.  But as you pointed out, if somehow Aramis can have a solid season, and by that I mean healthy, and Big Z is respectable, we could have an outside shot at a 90 win season.  I just don't see the Cards competing w/o Wainwright.  I'm more excited to see the next step in the development of Castro.  He sure seemed to figure it out at the end of last season for a REALLY young guy.  Man do I love him!  I do agree the Central is really deep this year.

Hey Ophidiophobia (that's the last time I type out your whole name ;D), what makes an Oklahoman root for the Devil (Red Sox)?  Jaimoe, you seem quite confident in your prediction that the O's finish last.  Would you like a friendly season wager on who finishes higher in the standings, the O's or Blue Jays?  It should be pretty interesting.  I also think the Rays have a good shot at winning the division.  I'm not sold on the Red Sox starting pitching either.  The Rays will be fine offensively if Desmond Jennings pans out as expected and the lost of Crawford won't be felt that badly.  That starting pitching staff is still the best in the East if Hellickson pitches like he did in brief stints last year.  It's the hit they took in the bullpen that could haunt them with the offenses they have to face in that division.

peafunk31

There isn't nearly enough Phillies talk going on in here.......... ;)
Homer no function beer well without.

ophidiophobia

Ruckus I started liking the Soxs during the '03 ALCS. I remember watching Boone crush the ball into left field during game 7, and I just thought, "man I hate the Yankees". That group of players on the '04 team (Manny, Big Papi, Johnny (Judas) Damon, Varitek, Schilling, Pedro, and the Idiots) I thought were so cool. I remember seeing the Yankees kick our ass and go up 3-0 in the ALCS, and then the grand slam by Judas in game 7. I've been a huge fan ever since. I try to make the trip to Arlington to catch them play at least once a year.

Sweet Caroline At Fenway

Jaimoe

Hey Ruckus, my O's finishing last place confidence comes from their continued ineptness since 1998. Yet somehow, seemingly every year, some in the baseball media get fans in Baltimore excited after they are picked to make a run at the playoffs before the season even starts. As long as you have that fucking asshole Peter Angelos as owner, his meddling ways will ensure the O's never live up to their potential.

I think on paper the O's are a much improved team. But the East is the toughest division in all of pro sports and I can't see the O's finishing out of the basement... but I do think the games across-the-board will be much harder fought. There won't be any easy teams. Should be fun. Oh, and what do you want to bet? Free tickets to a game in Toronto? A Jays baseball hat? If I lose, I'd have to wear an O's hat or buy me some Yankee IPAs when I visit Camden at some point. I'm open to suggestions. However, I REFUSE to don any evil Yankee/Red Sox swag.   

Ruckus

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 03, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hey Ruckus, my O's finishing last place confidence comes from their continued ineptness since 1998. Yet somehow, seemingly every year, some in the baseball media get fans in Baltimore excited after they are picked to make a run at the playoffs before the season even starts. As long as you have that fucking asshole Peter Angelos as owner, his meddling ways will ensure the O's never live up to their potential.

I think on paper the O's are a much improved team. But the East is the toughest division in all of pro sports and I can't see the O's finishing out of the basement... but I do think the games across-the-board will be much harder fought. There won't be any easy teams. Should be fun. Oh, and what do you want to bet? Free tickets to a game in Toronto? A Jays baseball hat? If I lose, I'd have to wear an O's hat or buy me some Yankee IPAs when I visit Camden at some point. I'm open to suggestions. However, I REFUSE to don any evil Yankee/Red Sox swag.

Sounds good. We have a bit to sort out the details.  We can do our forum taglines or avatars or something else.  I'll take tickets in Toronto if you can fly me up there and put me up for a weekend also. ;D  As for the O's, deep down I know you're right but all we have here is hope.  There are a lot of question marks as far as the offensive additions made such as DLee and how he will react to surgery and Vlad and his 2nd half swoon in Arlington even with Hamilton in the lineup next to him.  But there is balance and Wieters should take a big step forward offensively.  I think their starting pitching MAY surprise more even though the additions were made on offense.  Matusz is the real deal and everything I'm hearing about Zach Britton is that he is ready for the midseason callup.  It may be earlier if necessary.

Your Jays do have a fine young rotation for sure and I agree with what was posted above.  What the hell were you guys thinking signing Bautista to that contract?!

Jaimoe

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 03, 2011, 02:49 PM
Your Jays do have a fine young rotation for sure and I agree with what was posted above.  What the hell were you guys thinking signing Bautista to that contract?!

Well, as I stated above, the Jays were damned if they do, damned if they don't. Last year was Bautista's first full season as an everyday player. The Jays young GM, Alex Anthopoulos, is a very smart hombre, and he's done an excellent job surrounding himself with great support staff. The "braintrust" think Bautista is the real deal, but we'll have to see about this. It is a gamble of sorts, but he does add depth to several positions. Also, Canadian sports teams usually have to overpay US-based free agents in order to compete, so this was no different (although Bautista's contract wasn't too huge and he's wanted to stay).

Another factor for an improved Jays team is that "we" have a new manager, John Farrell, the ex-Red Sox pitching coach. He was much-in-demand across the Majors as manager and picked the Jays. I liked Cito Gaston, but his coaching style was out-dated.

.Walt

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 03, 2011, 07:58 AM
BTW, I'll be at the Twins-Jays home opener on April 1st. Great seats too (my wife got me tickets for my upcoming birthday).

That's a sweet gift! Have fun!

To the Cubs fans, I listen to The Score at night, and it seems that every Cubs fan is giving up already. The fans want to get rid of pretty much everyone. But no team would want the players and their contracts. They tried to keep the core of players that got them swept in the playoffs, and that was smart, but it's coming to the end of that era. And it seems the Cubs already checking out in spring training. My personal opinion is that they won't finish above 3rd, but I'm thinking 4th. My thinking is they'll let their new manager coach for 2 years (at most 3), they won't make the playoffs, get rid of the vets, and start over with young players. Then they'll fire the coach, and promote Ryne Sandberg who has been coaching the young players in the minors, and will have respect in the clubhouse. Which I don't think is a bad plan for the Cubbies.

P.S. Cub fans, please feel free to throw my message in my face come September  ;)

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

pawpaw

:)

I still think back on that World Series run and smile.

Pablo Sandoval has dropped some serious weight and is laying off pitches! Mark DeRosa is healthy and hitting the ball real well so far. Still not sure how Tejada is going to work out at shortstop, but I feel good about things overall. We've also got a kid named Brandon Belt who is going to be a stud and will probably be up by the end of the season.

It's just so nice to be able to turn on the radio and hear a baseball game.  8)  :beer:
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."