Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawpaw

I'll post a picture if any good ones turn up after this opening series, but check this out...too funny:

"So a group of San Francisco Giants fans have put together $8,000 — not an easy proposition these days — to pay for a plane to fly over Dodger Stadium on opening day with a banner that reads "Giants 2010 Champs: BEAT LA". The Giants and Dodgers open their seasons against each other on Thursday, March 31. The following email was received earlier today by the blog Vin Scully Is My Homeboy:

Hi Roberto, let your beloved readers that we have reached our goal of 8K and have made the payment towards the plane company. The beautiful banner has been manufactured. "Giants 2010 Champs: BEAT LA" banner will be flying over your ugly and infested stadium on Opening Day. Have a nice day.

– "The Say Hey Kid"
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

.Walt

Quote from: bbill on Mar 31, 2011, 11:28 AM
I'll post a picture if any good ones turn up after this opening series, but check this out...too funny:

"So a group of San Francisco Giants fans have put together $8,000 — not an easy proposition these days — to pay for a plane to fly over Dodger Stadium on opening day with a banner that reads "Giants 2010 Champs: BEAT LA". The Giants and Dodgers open their seasons against each other on Thursday, March 31. The following email was received earlier today by the blog Vin Scully Is My Homeboy:

Hi Roberto, let your beloved readers that we have reached our goal of 8K and have made the payment towards the plane company. The beautiful banner has been manufactured. "Giants 2010 Champs: BEAT LA" banner will be flying over your ugly and infested stadium on Opening Day. Have a nice day.

– "The Say Hey Kid"

;D
That's awesome! Yeah, you should post some pictures of that.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

Got a couple new lids to start the season off right.

The DARK

With apologies to Brewers fans, how about that to start off the season?  :beer:
In another time, in another place, in another face

.Walt

Quote from: The DARK on Mar 31, 2011, 06:24 PM
With apologies to Brewers fans, how about that to start off the season?  :beer:

Yeah that's a nice start to the season for you guys. I'll be in Milwaukee over Easter. They'll be starting a series with the Reds the following Monday. I'm going to a game, but not sure which one - it could be against the Astros. I hope it's battery night against the Reds so I can chuck a couple AA's at Hernandez. But I should really throw them at Axeford  ;)

pawpaw

Quote from: Walts on Mar 31, 2011, 05:43 PM
Quote from: bbill on Mar 31, 2011, 11:28 AM

– "The Say Hey Kid"

;D
That's awesome! Yeah, you should post some pictures of that.

Hers's another one from yesterday. Too bad the Giants lost.

A's kick off things tonight against King Felix and the Mariners!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

.Walt

;D

I read an article about it today. That's even better than the Beat LA message. I like how San Fran is starting a trend around the league. That's great!

.Walt

I hope you had fun last night Jaimoe on the Twins expense. 

I know we lost our first game, but I don't see the Twins doing anything this year. When Carl Pavano is the opening day starter (the #2)...you're in trouble. I could see Pavano being a 3 or 4, but a 2? No way. This could be a long season. I'd say 2nd or 3rd in our division would be realistic, but they seem to surprise me every year. What would really surprise me is if they would win the first round of the playoffs. But it's not even the first round, it's about the ship!

Jaimoe

Quote from: Walts on Apr 02, 2011, 10:15 AM
I hope you had fun last night Jaimoe on the Twins expense. 

I did have fun, but I still managed to spend $50 on bad beer including Bud, Stella and Keith's (Halifax swill). The ceremonies at the beginning of the game were fairly awesome: honouring newly elected Hall of Famers Pat Gillick (Jays former GM) and Roberto Alomar (both made nice speeches too; Alomar is the first Jays player to go into the Hall wearing a Jays hat), plus bringing out the other player elected to the Hall this year, Bert Blyleven.

The crowd got rowdy, again, in the latter innings (it's a shameful opening night tradition). I sat in front of three older obnoxious Americans (one was a Twins fans); one asked if the game was being televised (all 162 are on Sportsnet in HD) and then made fun of the Jays attendence woes from last year; another questioned the legitimacy of having a  moment of silence for the victims of the Japan tsunami. This was particularly ignorant given Tsuyoshi Nishioka was making his MLB debut with the Twins. I was going to go Tie Domi on those idiots, but I wasn't going to get thrown out before my wife showed up.

Too bad it was a blow-out. Nice seeing Morneau back in action. Romero pitched well with young prospect JP Arencibia catching in place of the departed all-star, John Buck.

Today's game will be tighter I think.

darkglow

orioles starters have allowed 1 run and 6 hits in 20 IP over 3 games.. not bad Rob...

Ruckus

Quote from: darkglow on Apr 03, 2011, 07:46 PM
orioles starters have allowed 1 run and 6 hits in 20 IP over 3 games.. not bad Rob...

It was a glorious weekend.  It sucks because I have to work this evening because it's a beautiful day and the city is starting to bustle with Opening Day energy in my neighborhood.  I wish I was going to the game!

Chris Tillman was the big surprise because we were beginning to fear that he may never live up to his potential.  With Matusz going on the DL, Zach Britton showed why he had shot up to #1 on the Oriole prosepect charts over the last two years yesterday.  Dude is a lefty sinkerballer who keeps the ball in the park.  He will be effective immediately I believe.  There still isn't much depth on the starting rotation but otherwise the team is in good shape.

Best record in the AL and second best in the majors to Philly since Buck took over the reigns last year. 8)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

darkglow

finally getting my new braves cap worn in

mjk73

I think I'm giving up on the Cards already this season. Horrific f'n start.  :'(

Ruckus

Quote from: darkglow on Apr 12, 2011, 03:56 PM
finally getting my new braves cap worn in

You're so bad ass!  If only the West Phones were

Ruckus

Quote from: Darklands on Apr 12, 2011, 08:35 PM
I think I'm giving up on the Cards already this season. Horrific f'n start.  :'(
Sounds like a Husker fan 8)

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
Quote from: Darklands on Apr 12, 2011, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a Husker fan 8)
exacatatigly

EasyRider

I'm a Redsox fan so my mouth is shut at present.
What a horrible start for a team that was picked by around 2 out of every 3 of the "experts" to win it all.

I'm still betting they will be there in the fall but what a yawning chasm they have dug.

The DARK

I think Andrew McCutchen may be traumatized for the rest of his life after this...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13936367
In another time, in another place, in another face

capt. scotty

Quote from: The DARK on Apr 19, 2011, 11:58 AM
I think Andrew McCutchen may be traumatized for the rest of his life after this...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13936367

Cutch is on leave from the team for personal reasons now  :(

At least we beat yinz 3 out of 4!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Alrighty, I scored some nice free tix to the O's/Red Sox game tonight.  Mahg33ta, Ophidio, Wolof, Easy and all you other Red Sox clowns, this is where the streak ends.  Starting pitching ERA under 1 over the last 9 games?!  Not anymore.

Let's Go O's! ::)