Jerry would be a fan...

Started by slimkim, Aug 09, 2008, 11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimkim

in honor and in memory of Jerry Garcia...

i think he would have like what jim and the boys are doing.

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
Would you hear my voice come thru the music,
Would you hold it near as it were your own?

slim i am
there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

Dodobird

Asolutley! Jerry would dig MMJ. RIP
Wakin up feelin good and limber!

buaawwww

I think my all time dream concert would have been MMJ with the Grateful Dead.

bold99

I'm still waiting for Jim to cover Candyman like he's talked about in interviews.

I'd also love to see Jim sit in with Phil and Friends.  I think that would be amazing.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ItStillJaimoe

I can see Jim leaning more towards Pigpen era Dead, and that's cool by me.

thatswhatshesaid

i would love to hear them do a dead cover at louisville. since elvis, isaac hayes, and garcia all died in august, they should do covers of all three. that would be swell!

kyjed48

Quotei would love to hear them do a dead cover at louisville. since elvis, isaac hayes, and garcia all died in august, they should do covers of all three. that would be swell!

Suspicious Minds-->Make Love to Ya Woman-->Althea

Now that would be a great little medley!  Let's keep our fingers crossed!
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

woodnymph

Deadheaddddd thread crashessss.... pooouring its light into ashessss.....  I hope it returns. Along with the other Other Music threads....

But just in case it doesn't, I've wharf ratted pack-ratted the 17 pages of Deadhead psychedelia, to be released page-by-page in 2011 as "Jen's Picks, Vol. 1-17" Featured on these releases will be photos of Jerry, photos of JJ looking curiously like Jerry, music suggestions from cross-bred MMJ/GD fans (by cross-bred I do mean fans of both bands, at least for most of us  ;)), shared concert experiences, the explanation for CTDeadhead's forum avatar, killer setlists, 100s of killer recommendations for what DB should listen to, a sick video of Mountains of the Moon in the playboy mansion, the discovery of how the Dead invented face melting, T5 wizzard's awesome stories that I remember reading(!), Vadie Shark's compare/contrast interpretation of Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel, and Blues for Allah, capt's stash hidden on a page I cannot divulge but will be found upon purchasing one special volume between 1 & 17*  :P, JJ actually performing "Ripple" and "Candyman,"*  Pigpen solo acoustic demos, and many other great great items that you can explore for yourself with purchase!

Well, I dunno if they mean all that much, or even if they're gone for good! But I wanted to make sure they weren't totally lost forever..... I'm gonna maybe let someone else take on the 58 page Phish thread (capt that has your name all over it!  :P)  But if it does indeed disappear and anyone would like to pull somethin' up, just let me know! If it comes back from the dead, then this message can be mostly disregarded and/or deleted  :-X

*there is no guarantee that these items actually do exist within the Jen's Picks series
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

EasyRyder

Quote from: woodnymph on Dec 24, 2010, 01:56 AM
Deadheaddddd thread crashessss.... pooouring its light into ashessss.....  I hope it returns. Along with the other Other Music threads....

I searched and searched, and is it true? Do Deadheads have no home amidst the verdant green pastures of the MMJ forum?? Something must be done....sounds like someone already has some ideas, luckily  ;D

Until it reappears, has anyone seen this??!! Every show from the Europe '72 tour on over 60 discs. Nuts. Rolling Stone put a blurb into the latest edition about it. 

Too bad it's 450 duckies: http://www.dead.net/features/release-info/holy-s-it-s-complete-europe-72-box-over-60-discs
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

el_chode

Wasn't there a rumor that Yim was to play Jerry in an upcoming biopic?

I came across this clip the other day, and I posted it in another thread:

Grateful Dead - Birdsong

Maybe I'm looking at nothing here, but despite the age difference, I think their mannerisms are similar, so are some of the vocalizations. When he sings "...tell me all that you know, I'll show you snow and rain..." it's begging for a reverby falsetto, and you can almost hear it.
I'm surrounded by assholes

EasyRyder

UNCANNY! I've always thought the same thing about their mannerisms too...especially in interviews. They're speech patterns are strangely similar.

In fact Jim James and Jerry Garcia are the only people I can think of who talk with that rhythm. I almost get as much of a kick listening to them talk as when they sing   :P

Oh and I think that biopic got canceled...sad
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

johnnYYac

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 31, 2011, 07:38 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that Yim was to play Jerry in an upcoming biopic?
I came across this clip the other day, and I posted it in another thread:

Grateful Dead - Birdsong

Maybe I'm looking at nothing here, but despite the age difference, I think their mannerisms are similar, so are some of the vocalizations. When he sings "...tell me all that you know, I'll show you snow and rain..." it's begging for a reverby falsetto, and you can almost hear it.

Yeah.  It was my first post.  http://mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=1348.msg17676#msg17676
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

the_wizzard

I think the biopic project has halted.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/05/jerry-garcia-biopic-wont-be-allowed-to-use-his-songs/
Really, his story can't be told without his music and recordings. And I wouldn't want to see a movie without the full support from his family, or the surviving GD members.

I think the director was going to focus too much on Jerry's addictions, and well, I don't think that is really fair. He was so much more than that....

el_chode

Quote from: T5 wizzard on Feb 03, 2011, 09:55 PM
I think the biopic project has halted.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/05/jerry-garcia-biopic-wont-be-allowed-to-use-his-songs/
Really, his story can't be told without his music and recordings. And I wouldn't want to see a movie without the full support from his family, or the surviving GD members.

I think the director was going to focus too much on Jerry's addictions, and well, I don't think that is really fair. He was so much more than that....

I took a class on entertainment contract negotiation & drafting. It was fun - the big final project was to team up with someone and negotiate someone's life story between a production company and an artist. I typically take up the artists side, so that's what I did. Unfortunately, the other person had no idea who Jerry Garcia was, and likewise, I had no idea what a TO was, so we were at an impasse.

Ended up with Paul McCartney. But yeah, the moral of the story is that you never sign a deal without right of refusal for content
I'm surrounded by assholes