Main Menu

Elvis

Started by admin, Aug 23, 2006, 12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

coupla  times a year I pull out some old Elvis classics and it blows me away every time.

this time i'm all over 'Elvis is Back!' from 1960:

such a fun album, his voice sounds amazing and the harmonies... oh yeah.

also watched the 1972 documentary 'Elvis On Tour' for the 1st time and loved it. it's sad and beautiful at the same time. he doesn't look that good anymore but his presence is breahtaking. especially loved the backstage gospel jam. goosebumps.

dragonboy

Great thread CC, great thread!!!
I don't have Elvis Is Back but I have From Nashville To Memphis: The Essential 60's Masters, which has all of the tracks featured on that album.

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

I just ordered The Definitive Elvis from amazon.co.uk, a 5 disc documentary that is supposed to be much better than the usual unofficial crap that you get on DVD.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GALHII/026-4531306-1862035?v=glance&n=283926&v=glance
I'll let you know if it's worth buying once I've watched it...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

CC

cool, do let me know.

saw 'The Ultimate Collection' not too long ago but wasn't that good:
mostly just friends and friends of friends talking about elvis

I did enjoy 'Elvis By The Presleys', really cool footage in that.

don't have those gospel releases yet.
yeah, must have...

dragonboy

Elvis By The Presleys was great. Believe it or not, the US copy had Japanese subtitles so my wife could enjoy it too.
I bought the book also, some nice pictures but not as good as the DVD.
I've read quite a few Elvis books, Peter Guralnick's Last Train To Memphis & Careless Love are still the best.

dragonboy

What about his Movies? I love them.
They're crap, I know, & I wouldn't sit through 5minutes of any them if Elvis wasn't in them but I really do love them, just because it's Elvis.
I know a lot of people say he should never made the movies that he did but that's what I love about Elvis, the fact that he wasn't perfect.
I think Viva Las Vegas, Kid Galahad & Jailhouse Rock are my favs.

ali

on the front cover of the age newspaper here on monday:

"as the 29th anniversary of elvis presley's death passes, a $US3 million reward is being offered to anyone who finds him alive.  US writer and actor adam muskiewicz says he and a friend set up the www.elviswanted.com website to get the public involved in a documentary exploring the myth that presley is still alive"
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ManNamedTruth

You guys know he had a twin that died at birth. There can only be one King. Isn't that bizarre?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

QuoteUS writer and actor adam muskiewicz says he and a friend set up the www.elviswanted.com website to get the public involved in a documentary exploring the myth that presley is still alive"

"Bill Beeny is the founder of the Elvis is Alive Museum near St. Louis, MO. Bill also wrote the book DNA Proves Elvis is Alive."  
Good man Bill, good man  ::)

Chills

QuoteWhat about his Movies? I love them.
They're crap, I know, & I wouldn't sit through 5minutes of any them if Elvis wasn't in them but I really do love them, just because it's Elvis.
I know a lot of people say he should never made the movies that he did but that's what I love about Elvis, the fact that he wasn't perfect.
I think Viva Las Vegas, Kid Galahad & Jailhouse Rock are my favs.

Is Viva Las Vegas the one in which he is a race driver? That was fun. Speaking of fun, you gotta love Fun In Acapulco. Elvis goes diving! But oh wait, is that also the one where he is a traumatized trapeze artist? Help me out here Dragonboy.

dragonboy

Heh Chills! You were right on both counts.
Elvis was indeed a racing car driver in VLV (with the lovely Ann-Margret), he was also a racing car driver in Speedway (with the lovely Nancy Sinatra) haha.
Like you said, he was a traumatised trapeze artist in Fun In Acapulco (with the lovely Ursula Andress).
If you do like his movies check out Kid Galahad (with the lovely..er, Charles Bronson!)

dragonboy

I feel the need for an Elvis movie tonight! My poor wife  ;D

dragonboy

I watched GI Blues last night...er, yes...great movie!

BH

Lemonaaaade.  That cool refreshing drink.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Chills

QuoteLike you said, he was a traumatised trapeze artist in Fun In Acapulco (with the lovely Ursula Andress).
If you do like his movies check out Kid Galahad (with the lovely..er, Charles Bronson!)

:D

Elvis and the lovely Charles Bronson.
Sounds like a must-see!

marktwain

I've never been a big Elvis fan, but I love some of his songs.  And I read Bobbie Ann Mason's bio of elvis - it's good.

My son, though, at 2 years old, is Elvis' biggest fan. I'm not really sure where he picked it up.

dragonboy

QuoteI just ordered The Definitive Elvis from amazon.co.uk, a 5 disc documentary that is supposed to be much better than the usual unofficial crap that you get on DVD.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GALHII/026-4531306-1862035?v=glance&n=283926&v=glance
I'll let you know if it's worth buying once I've watched it...
This arrived this afternoon, 13hours over five disks, released by Universal Studios. Here's hoping it's the real-deal!

Jellyfish

Just my opinion but I think Presley was way overrated...to me the real king was Elvis Costello...he actually writes his own songs.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

dragonboy

Quotecool, do let me know.
Have watched the first 2 episodes now, both were excellent.
The first episode (The Memphis Years) was mostly photgraphs & interviews. Those interviewed include Sam Philips, Dixie Lock, Anita Wood & DJ Fontana.
The second episode (The Television Years) had lengthy clips from all of his famous performances (Ed Sullivan, singing to a hound dog on The Steve Allen Show etc) + lots I'd never seen before (fooling about on the USS Hancock on The Milton Berle Show, dueting with Sinatra etc)
Great stuff so far!