White Stripes - Icky Thump

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Mar 01, 2007, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

QuoteAre they coming out with an album in 09??

I guess we'll find out of Friday, especially if they do a new song. Jack's said that he isn't done with The Stripes.

I hope they tour again. Getting to see The Raconteurs was great, but I never saw the Stripes and really need to do that.

I've seen The Stripes three times and Raconteurs once. I prefer The White Stripes in concert (and as a band). Their intensity and raw power is tough to beat, plus the setlist is different every night and Jack has 40-50 great songs to choose from.

.Walt

QuoteJack's embrace of Nashville is a phase more than anything, although I think he's gradually distancing himself from garage rock. I love Detroit rock, but I don't take his past comments to be insulting. He's taking on a Nashville personna, which is fine by me.

Since you put it that way, I'm on the road to acceptance. But some of his comment were little assy.

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

QuoteJack's embrace of Nashville is a phase more than anything, although I think he's gradually distancing himself from garage rock. I love Detroit rock, but I don't take his past comments to be insulting. He's taking on a Nashville personna, which is fine by me.

Since you put it that way, I'm on the road to acceptance. But some of his comment were little assy.

I don't think he always wants to be taken literally, but if he does, the guy is from a different, better era.

dragonboy

QuoteAre they coming out with an album in 09??

I guess we'll find out of Friday, especially if they do a new song. Jack's said that he isn't done with The Stripes.

I hope they tour again. Getting to see The Raconteurs was great, but I never saw the Stripes and really need to do that.

I've seen The Stripes three times and Raconteurs once. I prefer The White Stripes in concert (and as a band). Their intensity and raw power is tough to beat, plus the setlist is different every night and Jack has 40-50 great songs to choose from.

I saw them twice. 1st time was in a tiny venue, they played an incredible but really short set (Jack suddenly put down his guitar & said something like sorry, I've been really sick & walked off) the lights came up & my friend & I stared at each other in complete disbelief.
2nd time I saw them was in a bigger venue. They were good but didn't play with the same intensity...at least we got a full set that time though  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

I saw the last three White Stripes tours. The best one was the ambitious and amazing Icky Thump cross-Canada tour (the one where they played in every province and territory and did surprise gigs in a city bus, boat, high school etc... ). The show was no-nonesense, ball-to-the-wall blues rock at a sold out 16,000 seat Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto. The stage was simply lit, with no props. Just the drums and guitar, a far cry from the elaborate Get Behind Me Satan tour (which was excellent, but bigger).

Love Dogg

QuoteSpeaking of Jack White and Nashville, have you seen the new Raconteurs video of "Old Enough" with Ricky Skaggs and Ashley Monroe?  It's awesome.  Brendon Benson and Ashley sound great together.

Making of:

http://blog.cmt.com/2009-01-20/the-raconteurs-and-ashley-monroe-break-down-old-enough/

Actual video:

http://stereogum.com/archives/video/new-raconteurs-feat-ricky-skaggs-ashley-monroe-video-old-enough_039161.html

F'awesome!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."