Main Menu

Iron & Wine

Started by woodnymph, Jan 07, 2011, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotchishm

Quote from: headhunter on Nov 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
Well I must say, I was a good black friday shopper as I got out to Newbury Comics while visiting family for thanksgiving in Boston.  In addition to several great vinyl pickups by wilco, justin townes earle, pete townsend, the dead and others I found this amazing new gem.

Don't know if you guys know about this one but if you don't have it, ya gotta hear it.  A daytrotter sessions album with acoustic Iron & Wine (sam and rosie thomas) on side a and the low anthem on side b.  Great intimate acoustic sam that sounds like he is coming out of your living room.  Beautiful and stunning.
4 great tunes, 1 acoustic guitar - Godless Brother, Tree By The River, Glad Man Singing & As We Came.  Holy crap is this good. 

Woody, have you heard this yet?  The album came with a free mp3 download so I can burn you a copy if you want it and can't find it.  This is an incredible 4 song album by mr. beam.

The Low Anthem side is also excellent.  5 great tunes that are simply beautiful.  Definitely a new thing to be thankful for.

Nice find!  There were only 1000 of these pressed so if you're able to find one it's worth picking up.  I watched the I&W site like a hawk when it was announced and was lucky enough to get one.  Was anyone able to find the Morning Becomes Eclectic vinyl that was released last Friday?  We don't have a record store where I live and I was trying to find one. (EDIT: Ebay has them)
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

woodnymph

Finally got the Leno performance uppppp

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/wednesday-november-30-2011/1371324?tin=2293

Caution: lame-ass ads in the beginning
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

IandWfan

Hey. New here. I've captured a bunch of Iron and Wine performances from the interweb.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e77eech3t78viam Sound opinions zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?pytf8lug1f1ye59 Sasquatch zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?byshy2iuicr229v Live @  other music zip

Sunset Sessions
http://www.mediafire.com/?lbero93ur36km27 big burned hand
http://www.mediafire.com/?251s7bc369ycyof sodom south georgia
http://www.mediafire.com/?n4a519di767a2l2 upward over  the mountain

Enjoy. I will post more after christmas when i get time off work. I won't post copyrighted stuff, but I've got shit-tons of live, rare, etc. Iron and Wine.  I'm glad he's got fans on this forum.

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Thank you Santa!!!   :D :D

IandWfan

Found this on the interweb. It's pretty decent quality recording. This is pretty representative of Sam's new live sound. Sea And The Rhythm and Fever Dream are incredible.

IRON   &  WINE 
Hamburg, Germany
2011-February-07 (Monday)

Taped by:  RCM
Transferred by: RCM

Schoeps MK41 > Actives > Nbox+ > R-09 (16bit/44.1kHz) >Secure Digital SD-card>>USB2.0Interface>soundforge/audioedit>Wav-Splitter>thl>shn>MP3@320

setlist:

01.  Tree By The River  [5:28]
02.  Wolves (Song Of The Shepherd's Dog)  [10:05]
03.  Sea And The Rhythm  [6:52]
04.  House By The Sea/Love And Summer Verses  [8:46]
05.  Bird Stealing Bread  [4:54]
06.  Me And Lazarus  [3:53]
07.  Cinder And Smoke  [7:22]
08.  Monkey's Uptown  [4:29]
09.  Weary Memory  [5:59]
10.  Boy With A Coin  [4:16]
11.  Half Moon  [4:00]
12.  Big Burned Hand  [3:41]
13.  Fever Dream  [5:23]

http://www.mediafire.com/?vl2b4180g7glewg

woodnymph

Holy CANNOLI!!  You are the bees'es kneeses!!  I hope to get time to listen to this tonight!!  Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

smhoffmann02

Yay - something to motivate me for the last 1/2 hour.  The chocolate truffle just wasn't enough.  Thanks!
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

woodnymph

This Sea & The Rhythm is devouring me

I hear potential to make it sound super Eastern now, too, if Sam threw in a Pipa or a Koto  8)  It's great as it is, the sound just came to mind.....

woodnymph

Bird Stealing Bread always gets me....... what a sweet version this is

Thanks again for sharing!!

woodnymph

Jesus..... Cinders and Smoke.... Weary Memory..... I don't have many many versions of Weary Memory live, and this version is beyond a treat.... *drooling*

YouAre_GivenToFly

Ho-leeee-shit. House By The Sea/Love And Some Verses is KILLING me. Goosebumps.

IandWfan

You're welcome guys. Like I said, I'll post more next week. I like hooking up Sam's fans with some of his music you might not have heard before. His live shows are pretty great. Just wondering, what are some of your favorite songs/favorite album? I might have a surprise in store... ;)

woodnymph

Quote from: IandWfan on Dec 21, 2011, 10:40 AM
You're welcome guys. Like I said, I'll post more next week. I like hooking up Sam's fans with some of his music you might not have heard before. His live shows are pretty great. Just wondering, what are some of your favorite songs/favorite album? I might have a surprise in store... ;)

Surprise?!   :o

It's tough for me to play favorites with his work.... I get in different grooves, and different ones appeal at different times.... I do really love Our Endless Numbered Days and Woman King (and Shepherd's Dog of course  :) )  But his rare older "unreleased"  tracks (and Creek tracks) have special intimate untouchable places in my heart...  :-*  And since I've named every other album so far, I may as well add that I do love Kiss Eachother Clean too..... toldja it's tough for me to play favorites  :-\ :-\  And by "tough" I mean "impossible"   :P

But... that being said... (for me at least!) any Iron & Wine surprise is a good surprise!  :D

I know Jeff really likes Our Endless Numbered Days, but I forget/don't know what others' favorites are....  ? ? ? ???

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: IandWfan on Dec 21, 2011, 10:40 AM

I've only been able to see him live twice, but both times were something pretty special. Ran into him at a coffee shop in Seattle, too. Dude couldn't have been nicer.

woodnymph

But good news!!  The I&W forum finally has a new message, "in the process of moving to a new host, please check back soon"  Woohoo!!  Hope it gets running again!!   :D :D

IandWfan

Endless Numbered Days? I can work with that...

Been waiting for the fansite to come back online.  I usually troll over there. And since it's been shut down, I was trolling the official forum, but eh.. it's not so good. The vibe around here is nice. I think I'll stay for awhile. I like MMJ. Not as much as Iron and Wine, but they are definitely in my top ten. I LOVE that they tend to play a lot of covers. Did yinz see the video of Jim James and Sam Beam doing "Someday the Waves - Wonderful Tonight - Stuck On You"? Audio is not so great, but you can tell it was awesome.

I  don't know how to embed the video, so here's the link...
Iron & Wine with Jim James - Someday the Waves into Wonderful Tonight into Stuck On You

Oh! look at that. It did it automatically. Super sweet.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: IandWfan on Dec 21, 2011, 01:13 PM

Been waiting for the fansite to come back online.  I usually troll over there. And since it's been shut down, I was trolling the official forum, but eh.. it's not so good. The vibe around here is nice. I think I'll stay for awhile. I like MMJ. Not as much as Iron and Wine, but they are definitely in my top ten. I LOVE that they tend to play a lot of covers. Did yinz see the video of Jim James and Sam Beam doing "Someday the Waves - Wonderful Tonight - Stuck On You"? Audio is not so great, but you can tell it was awesome.

Iron & Wine with Jim James - Someday the Waves into Wonderful Tonight into Stuck On You

Another forum member from Pittsburgh?  :thumbsup:
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Dec 21, 2011, 01:20 PM
Quote from: IandWfan on Dec 21, 2011, 01:13 PM

Another forum member from Pittsburgh?  :thumbsup:

;D ;D ;D  I wonder!!!???

That video is awwwwesome though, we were definitely all over it when they played together.... I'd almost maxed my credit card to drive 20 hours (one way) and see that show (but decided it maybe not in my best interest   :P)

headhunter

Enjoying a glass of wine with a good vinyl copy of kiss each other clean.  still not my favorite Iron & Wine lp (easily endless numbered days) but it keeps getting better and better with repeated listening.

Happy holidays woody, thinking of you and your wonderful spirit!
was some shakin' and some record playin'