Crate Diggin' Redux

Started by Ruckus, Jan 09, 2011, 12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come Closer

I like a lot of MF Doom stuff. In addition to Madvillain, my favorites would be Vaudeville Villain, Black Bastards by KMD, the Dangerdoom album, and the King Geedorah album. I've always felt that Operation Doomsday is overrated, but Black Bastards is highly underrated.

Angelo

This has been out for over a year but the O.C. and Apollo Brown record "Trophies" is just about perfect. Production is handled solely by AB and there's not a single guest spot on the whole damn thing. O.C. has one of the best flows/voices in hip hop and it hasn't changed one bit from his records in the 90s. I can't recommend this album enough.

Come Closer

Quote from: Angelo on Aug 21, 2013, 04:50 PM
This has been out for over a year but the O.C. and Apollo Brown record "Trophies" is just about perfect. Production is handled solely by AB and there's not a single guest spot on the whole damn thing. O.C. has one of the best flows/voices in hip hop and it hasn't changed one bit from his records in the 90s. I can't recommend this album enough.

:thumbsup:
Seconded 110%, flawless album. The best hip hop album of last year and maybe even my favorite of the last 5-10 years. People say AB's beats are repetitive, but I love the way he chops his shit up. His albums with Hassaan Mackey and Guilty Simpson are good too, but not on the level of Trophies because OC is a top ten all-time emcee. The Left album Gas Mask is great and so is The Reset. Ugly Heroes from this year is solid. He's been killing it.

Ruckus

Many thanks to the recs here.  I love the new "old" OC and Action Bronson's Dr. Lechter and Bon Apetite have been a trip.  His new, modern production stuff sucks however.

Hey O's.  I was randomly listening to some CCP on Spotify the other day when I came across the King Geedorah album.  I hadn't seen your rec above but that track Anti Matter blew me away.  I'm a hip hop junkie but pretty much stuck in the Golden Era sound so I struggle with a lot of the newer stuff.

Thanks again guys :thumbsup:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Just got my hands on it and Qwel and Maker's Beautiful Raw is a damn fine album for this year despite a couple of cheezed out choruses.  Recommended

Come Closer

Haha our tastes are too similar. 90s hip hop is also my wheelhouse. It's harder to find good hip hop these days, but if you dig theres good stuff out there. Here are my favorite hip hop LPs of 2013 thus far.

1. Qwel & Maker
2. Run the Jewels (el-p and killer mike)
3. 7 GEMS- Golden Era Music Sciences (Tragedy is part of this, he's still got it)
4. The Doppelgangaz- Hark (not as stellar as their last 2, but solid)
5. First Light- Fantasy Fallacy
6. Ka- Night's Gambit (Doom fans should like this, tight laid back flow)
7. Billy Woods- Dour Candy (Blockhead laced this)
8. Ugly Heroes (Apollo Brown laced this one)
9. uMaNg- The Revisited (check it on bandcamp, good punchlines)
10. Castle- Gasface (mellow music group puts out so many dope albums)

Just missing the cut are Phora, Epidemic, Def Dee, Ghostface, Seven Star. Good year IMO.

Ruckus

Quote from: Osistheones on Aug 30, 2013, 05:54 PM
Haha our tastes are too similar. 90s hip hop is also my wheelhouse. It's harder to find good hip hop these days, but if you dig theres good stuff out there. Here are my favorite hip hop LPs of 2013 thus far.

1. Qwel & Maker
3. 7 GEMS- Golden Era Music Sciences (Tragedy is part of this, he's still got it)

Just missing the cut are Phora, Epidemic, Def Dee, Ghostface, Seven Star. Good year IMO.
:thumbsup:  You are still on top of your shit man.  Thanks for all the recommendations.  The only other ones I've listened to are First Light and Killer Mike/El-P

Ruckus

Beautiful Raw is sick.  Kwel can spit with the best of 'em.

Angelo

I too was a hip hop junkie for many many years, mainly between 94 and when Def Jux started falling off. I am still and always will be completely in love with all of that shit I used to listen to. Some of it still gives me goosebumps after all these years. I feel like I'm stuck in my ways the older I get now. If it doesn't sound like it was sampled, i.e. dirty as fuck, I don't really care for it. Most of what I hear now sounds like toy beats. I will definitely check out your suggestions O. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Come Closer

OC fans who haven't heard Starchild should check it out, very dope album. Came out in 05 I believe but was only released in Japan due to sampling issues. Right up there with Trophies, Word Life and Jewelz to me. It may be somewhat hard to find. I think the mp3s are out there, I know it's on rdio. I was fortunate enough to get a free cd copy since it was shelved in the US.

Come Closer

The new Deltron is streaming. Probably a decade too late, but I'll give it a listen.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/232-deltron-3030-event-ii/

oistheone

Really diggin' that new Deltron 3030. Greatly looking forward to seeing them live in a few weeks, I've heard they put on an amazing show.

Anyone else really enjoying the new Danny Brown record? I could do without his molly bangers, but the low-key shit that dominates the first half of the album is some amazing stuff. Wish Danny was this restrained more often. I've got tickets to his first show post-album drop, but it's in Toronto -- meaning odds are quite high he ain't gettin' across the border. Fingers crossed.

Come Closer

I'm waiting to receive the Deltron vinyl to digest it more. I heard good things about that Danny Brown, so I'll give it a listen even though it's not really my style.

I just listened to the new Blue Sky Black Death album and was a little bored with it. Disappointing because I love their last record. Fans of spacey instrumental hip-hop like DJ Shadow and Blockhead should check them out.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Osistheones on Aug 30, 2013, 05:54 PM

1. Qwel & Maker

Serious question: with how big of a hip hop fan you appear to be, how were you sleeping on Wu Tang for so long?

Havent heard any of these besides First Light. I'll have to remember to check them out.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Come Closer

I think you're confusing me with oistheone. Classic mix-up.

capt. scotty

Yes, especially when you have both been posting in these hip hop threads  :grin:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

oistheone

I think I'll create a new account called "ositheoen" just to confuse things even further!

Saw Danny Brown last night and he's got energy, that's for sure, but MAN, call me a bit disappointed. His new album is awesome, and he only played one track off it. The entire set was made up of those damn molly bangers that he does in his squawk voice. I've got nothing wrong with his squawk voice, as that's part of his charm, but I was looking forward to hearing his "low-key" voice live, because half of the new album is done in this style and it yields amazing results. But nope. Just the molly bangers. It was like being at an EDM show with some chicken squawkin' over it. The kids seemed to love it though. Highlight of the show was when Danny just rapped a song acapella, which allowed his awesome flow to shine through without the distraction of sub-sonic bass tones and jittery effects that made the speakers sound like confetti cannons.

Action Bronson played first, and man, he stole the show. Talk about a guy who doesn't take himself too seriously. He played some new tracks of Blue Chips 2 and they were sounding awesome, and he also played a few tracks of Dr. Lecter, which made me VERY happy considering how much I love everything about that album. Contrasted with Danny Brown's aural assault, Bronson's beats had SPACE which allowed his lyrics to hit hard. Couple that with his eating on stage, sharing joints with the crowd, and of course, performing a song with a girl on his shoulders, and Bronsilino is a guy I'll happily see again. I'd give Danny Brown another shot too, but not before confirming that he'll play more shit from his new album.

capt. scotty

Ughh, this is the best hip hop track Ive heard in a long time, no exagerration. Fucking sooo good.   :shocked:

http://youtu.be/LDQu8DNLzIY

Come Closer

I've heard 4-5 songs off of that Pusha T album and they sounded pretty good. I doubt the album is touching the stuff he did with the Clipse, but i'm intrigued.

capt. scotty

Nosetalgia is ridiculous...Ive heard a few others off the album, and they are solid.

Ive actually heard Pusha T's solo stuff has been good. I dont think Ive listened to him really since the Lord Willin or Hell Hath No Fury, Clipse days, but Ive been told slipping on him.