Main Menu

Games

Started by wolof7, Jan 21, 2011, 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Shit man that game has been on my amazon wish list forever!!!! Can you share some details so I can decided whether I should I pull the trigger?

I've been raging on this 2 player game reminiscent of some RISK!:

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

I'm not the best at explaining this stuff and I'm not a veteran of other games in this style.

All I can say is that it is 2-4 players and is addictive as hell and one game should take no more than 20-60 minutes depending on the number of players, the experience of the players, and the combination of cards used.

We use an app that randomizes the set of cards to be used in each game.  The goal is to accumulate as many victory points (land) before the largest land cards are exhausted.  What makes the game particularly great is that it's not a collectible game like Magic where you often are as good as the cards you have.  The variability of the game is virtually infinite and strategies change from game to game.

It's addictive and non repetitive and I highly recommend it!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

LeanneP

Hey gamers!  So cool  :smiley:

I play RPG games. I play a lot of Apocolypse World hacks - I played Monsterhearts twice and in the middle of A World Of Ice And Fire which is a playtest, I think and about to play Sagas of the Icelanders which was an IndiGoGo project.

I'm getting into some board/card games with the kids, too. We love Munchkin Zombies and they used some Christmas money to get Dominant Species and Smallworld: Underground.

I have the luck of having a business partner who, with her husband, are really hardcore gamers who include me in a lot of games. They put on a gaming convention here in town yearly that is lots of fun.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Ruckus

That's really cool about your friends and their convention leanne!  I admit i love this stuff and I fear I'd begin spending too much time in this world so I try not to dabble in too many games.  I got enough hobbies and interests as is and I think Dominion is going to own me on and off for the next year and more!  I'm a pretty big console system JRPG fan as well, kinda a forgotten genre in the States these days.

LeanneP

Oh, but you can play music while you game  :grin:

Yes, it can definitely take over life a bit!

I'm pretty lucky to be part of a nice group of gamers.  My friends have run the Last Night On Earth game mentioned in the OP. I want to play it some time.

One of the games I'm in the middle of right now is a very realistic zombie game: the apocalypse has begun and we have to respond. It's full of tense, silly fun. 

I love group storytelling games. It's fun to act out crazy scenarios and take on new personas. Those, essentially, I'm always kind of more myself: I swear a lot and make bawdy jokes :)

I'll have a look at Dominion. It's quite popular, I think, isn't it?  It might be something for my boys to explore.

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

The only real object is to make each other laugh.   :thumbsup:
There's Still Time.........

Ruckus

Quote from: sweatboard on Jan 09, 2013, 12:02 AM

Love Cards Against Humanity!  It's pretty much our go to game once we're too wasted to play anything else.  I brought my box to Port Chester but couldn't get a game together in the hotel after the shows.  The easiest and most fun late night game.

LeanneP

I haven't played that one yet, but Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (aka Are You A Werewolf, variant of Mafia) is my favourite party game. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25821/the-werewolves-of-millers-hollow

Also, I hear Kill Puppies For Satan is a fun time. http://www.lumpley.com/games/puppies.html

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 09, 2013, 12:28 AM

Love Cards Against Humanity!  It's pretty much our go to game once we're too wasted to play anything else.  I brought my box to Port Chester but couldn't get a game together in the hotel after the shows.  The easiest and most fun late night game.

I would have played with  you.

wolof7

Alright I will definitely check out Dominion! Great ideas everyone. I got some new games to check out!

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 09, 2013, 07:08 AM
Alright I will definitely check out Dominion! Great ideas everyone. I got some new games to check out!
Just a heads up.  There have been minor complaints from hardcore players that specific strategies work all the time in the first one.  That is true to some extent but as you utilize expansions that issue becomes moot.  Regardless, unless you spend time on some strategy forum, you should get a lot out of the first game.  I currently own the original, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Alchemy, Cornucopia, and Dark Ages but  all my initial experience  came from just the original and Intrigue.

johnnYYac

I mentioned it earlier in this thread; I'll revive it here. 

Cosmic Wimpout is a cool little dice game, portable, fun to play.  Good for camping. 

http://www.cosmicwimpout.com/

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Anyone play Ruzzle? I've quit Words With Friends because I've burned out on it.  If you want to play me,  send me a pm.

mind at large

new version of risk is awesome.  game is a hell of a lot quicker than regular risk and more fun. 

small world underground is also great for gaming variety, but will take time to get through all the whole manual and get things started.  has a few different boards, but can be played with 2-5 players. 

LeanneP

That's the one my kids got: Smallworld Underground. I've played and liked the original Smallworld. The boys played it with a friend today, unfortunately, one of them is 5 and not great at being patient. :/

Wimpout looks interesting, John.

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 09, 2013, 11:00 AM
Just a heads up.  There have been minor complaints from hardcore players that specific strategies work all the time in the first one.  That is true to some extent but as you utilize expansions that issue becomes moot.  Regardless, unless you spend time on some strategy forum, you should get a lot out of the first game.  I currently own the original, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Alchemy, Cornucopia, and Dark Ages but  all my initial experience  came from just the original and Intrigue.

Based on your initial experience should I go with the original? following that what expansion would you pickup next?

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 10, 2013, 07:05 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 09, 2013, 11:00 AM

Based on your initial experience should I go with the original? following that what expansion would you pickup next?
Well yeah, that or Intrigue which was the second one.  They are the only two sets that have the required base cards to play a game.  They can be ordered separately if you want to. 

Like I said, I began playing with the combination of the original and Intrigue and that worked great.  I've read that Seaside is the best expansion only set to start with as well.

Ruckus

Quote from: Fully on Jan 09, 2013, 12:44 AM

Yeah I don't think I ever saw you after the shows in the hotel.  Would have loved a game with some unPC, vulgar people

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 10, 2013, 11:42 AM
Quote from: Fully on Jan 09, 2013, 12:44 AM

Yeah I don't think I ever saw you after the shows in the hotel.  Would have loved a game with some unPC, vulgar people

Well, you had me at vulgar.