Main Menu

Tame Impala

Started by Ruckus, Feb 16, 2011, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

I finally get to see them tonight, and the Cain's in Tulsa, woohoo!  :cheesy:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 28, 2013, 11:44 AM
Awesome man!  I know it's been a Loooong time coming for your. :beer:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 28, 2013, 12:38 PM

Yes sir! I went through that record show in NYC during T5 week asking everybody there if they had Innerspeaker, and nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. Tonight I'll be somewhere in the middle of a big crowd, as I can't go get in line. Stupid work!

If they play Half Full Glass of Wine, I might pee my pants.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Fully

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 28, 2013, 02:01 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 28, 2013, 12:38 PM

Yes sir! I went through that record show in NYC during T5 week asking everybody there if they had Innerspeaker, and nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. Tonight I'll be somewhere in the middle of a big crowd, as I can't go get in line. Stupid work!

If they play Half Full Glass of Wine, I might pee my pants.

Have fun and try not to pee at the wrong time. I was listening to their newest album again yesterday.   :thumbsup:

johnnYYac

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/tame-impala-elephant/n32934

On Fallon last week.  Reminds me of Syd-era Floyd.  Just ordered Lonerism. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

Holyfuckingshit that was great. Not only was the band having a great time, and the crowd fucking going insane, but they played Half Full Glass of Wine (which of course I now see they have been closing all of their first sets with lately, but I have purposefully not been paying attention), AND did a kickass jam on the end of it, AND I got a setlist, AND I did not pee my pants.

I described them a while back as George Harrison if he kept on taking acid and joined Pink Floyd and stayed the same age forever, and the show was a lot like I imagined that would be. It was one of those shows where you don't want it to end, and every song they play just blows your goddamn mind, and it even felt weird to hear the crowd cheer between songs, I was just drinking it all in. I don't even know about light shows or anything else—if you like Tame Impala's music, you'll love them live.

MrWhippy

Great to hear glowing reports of the current tour.  Sounds like they have stepped up their game as compared to how they were after Innerspeaker.  I'm looking forward to seeing them later this year.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Fully

I'm relieved that while completely batshit happy about the show and your song needs being met you were able to retain your continence. Also the show sounds great! I will be searching them out this year. I know of at least one festival where I'll have the opportunity to see them. Glad you enjoyed it.

johnnYYac

I'm starting to seriously consider their show in Boston on March 12th.  Looks like I'm stuck with StubHub, though.  Hmmmm.

BH

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 01, 2013, 01:26 AM
Holyfuckingshit that was great. Not only was the band having a great time, and the crowd fucking going insane, but they played Half Full Glass of Wine (which of course I now see they have been closing all of their first sets with lately, but I have purposefully not been paying attention), AND did a kickass jam on the end of it, AND I got a setlist, AND I did not pee my pants.

I described them a while back as George Harrison if he kept on taking acid and joined Pink Floyd and stayed the same age forever, and the show was a lot like I imagined that would be. It was one of those shows where you don't want it to end, and every song they play just blows your goddamn mind, and it even felt weird to hear the crowd cheer between songs, I was just drinking it all in. I don't even know about light shows or anything else—if you like Tame Impala's music, you'll love them live.

Excellent news.    Wish they didn't avoid St. Louis like the plague.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 01, 2013, 05:05 AM
Great to hear glowing reports of the current tour.  Sounds like they have stepped up their game as compared to how they were after Innerspeaker.  I'm looking forward to seeing them later this year.

Even after getting over my six-bourbon and post-show bliss, I loved the hell out of last night's show. I have a feeling though that if I had seen them during that reportedly subpar Innerspeaker tour, I would have loved the hell out of that show too, because I'm just nuts about their music. I can't say anything about them stepping up their game, but I am pretty sure the crowds are bigger. The Cain's was packed last night, and it was very energetic.

I will stop gushing enough to say that they could have played a longer show, it was only about 80 minutes, and they have plenty of material to go longer.

johnnYYac

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 01, 2013, 09:42 AM
I'm starting to seriously consider their show in Boston on March 12th.  Looks like I'm stuck with StubHub, though.  Hmmmm.
So, the Boston show is sold out,  so I'm looking at $48 (StubHub w/fees) and a 90-minute drive.  Convince me...   :undecided:

Fully

If Crispy's review didn't convince you, Yac, what will?

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 01, 2013, 11:01 AM
So, the Boston show is sold out,  so I'm looking at $48 (StubHub w/fees) and a 90-minute drive.  Convince me...   :undecided:

Actually, I don't know, that might put it past the edge even for me, with that price and the brevity of their show, while awesome, would not be such a great value (last night's show was $17). Not being entirely familiar with their catalog could be a factor too, at least it can for me, depending on the band. Another aspect that made the show great for me was that I was able to get in line an hour before doors and got on the rail, and that might not be doable for you in Boston. Sorry to be talking them up one minute and then trying to unconvince you the next.

jaye

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 01, 2013, 09:52 AM
Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 01, 2013, 05:05 AM

Even after getting over my six-bourbon and post-show bliss, I loved the hell out of last night's show. I have a feeling though that if I had seen them during that reportedly subpar Innerspeaker tour, I would have loved the hell out of that show too, because I'm just nuts about their music. I can't say anything about them stepping up their game, but I am pretty sure the crowds are bigger. The Cain's was packed last night, and it was very energetic.

I will stop gushing enough to say that they could have played a longer show, it was only about 80 minutes, and they have plenty of material to go longer.

I'm glad you had a great time - I LOVED the show I saw during their Innerspeaker tour - it was so much fun.  Part of that was because Yuck opened for them.  They were back here last November and tickets were going for 4 x face on craigslist, and now they are coming to Oakland in May.  Can't wait! 

johnnYYac

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 01, 2013, 11:57 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 01, 2013, 11:01 AM

Actually, I don't know, that might put it past the edge even for me, with that price and the brevity of their show, while awesome, would not be such a great value (last night's show was $17). Not being entirely familiar with their catalog could be a factor too, at least it can for me, depending on the band. Another aspect that made the show great for me was that I was able to get in line an hour before doors and got on the rail, and that might not be doable for you in Boston. Sorry to be talking them up one minute and then trying to unconvince you the next.
No worries, Crispy.  But there is a difference between a $17 ticket for an 80-minute show an hour away and $48 for the same show 1.5 hours away... and on a Tuesday night.  I have really enjoyed everything I'm hearing so far, don't doubt I'd enjoy the show, but I think I'll save it for another time.  Maybe if a cheap ticket appears, I'll change my mind.  I'd rather spend the money on some vinyl, such as their latest, ordered yesterday.

Northern Neighbour

Yac, I have the same dilemma.  Could go see them in Montreal (about 2 hours away), but it's on a Monday night and would cost $50.  I really want to see them, but I also need to be sensible.

Crispy

Exactly right. I could have made the trip to whichever coast to see them last year or the year before, but I had other priorities. We're not talking about MMJ here!  :rolleyes:

johnnYYac

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Mar 01, 2013, 05:13 PM
Yac, I have the same dilemma.  Could go see them in Montreal (about 2 hours away), but it's on a Monday night and would cost $50.  I really want to see them, but I also need to be sensible.
Sensible sucks, but the more restraint I show now, the better off I'll be when they announce the next big thing.  And I'm spoiled, spending not much more that $50 for 2-3 hour sets from MMJ or under $150 for 3 days of music.  Can't equate a day at Newport, Solid Sound, or Forecastle with Tame Impala on a Tuesday night.

Looks like their Montreal show is at the place where we first met in person, Metropolis!  :beer:

bigloop

Boston sold out?  They must have just released tix.  At 6:30 tonight I bought a GA floor ticket.

Get in there!!