MMJ: Southern Ghost Voices - article

Started by SaraBananaBear, Mar 01, 2011, 12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynwa

the way they decribe building everything together - more or less from scratch; having to figure out how to fix stuff on the fly; incorporating outside factors like the space itself, the rain, the humidity & such... i'm just so excited to hear what all of THAT sounds like.  seriously :D

reading that article makes me feel like i was invited into their secret fort during the recording process.  thanks for finding & sharing, sara!
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

doughty

So, I know this is a long shot - but if ever there was a place to ask about it, I suppose this is the place :)

Does anyone remember an interview with Jim and Pat - I think around the time of It Still Moves? - and I could've sworn it was American Songwriter - but Jim talks about his songwriting process and he describes seeing the songs as colors - ie:  all the songs with the capo placed on this fret are yellow...

The archives search on the American Songwriter site is kinda buggy, or I just have the wrong magazine... I can see the article, the page layout in my head, I just can't remember where I saw it...

Anybody?  Help?  Please! and Thank You!

johnnYYac

Quote from: doughty on Mar 02, 2011, 11:34 AM
So, I know this is a long shot - but if ever there was a place to ask about it, I suppose this is the place :)

Does anyone remember an interview with Jim and Pat - I think around the time of It Still Moves? - and I could've sworn it was American Songwriter - but Jim talks about his songwriting process and he describes seeing the songs as colors - ie:  all the songs with the capo placed on this fret are yellow...

The archives search on the American Songwriter site is kinda buggy, or I just have the wrong magazine... I can see the article, the page layout in my head, I just can't remember where I saw it...

This looks like a job for...

SARA BANANA BEAR!!!! 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 02, 2011, 03:03 PM

SARA BANANA BEAR!!!! 

That's the cutest bear I have ever seen, thank you Mr. Yac! :) I can't recall that I've found any interview like that, there's some that mention color, but not that specific. Maybe someone else knows? Or if you remember any more details Doughty? That might make it easier to search for it. :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

SaraBananaBear

Perhaps I should add what I have found on color:

"While lead vocalist Jim James has one of the most singular voices in rock today, he says that he approached the Evil Urges sessions as an opportunity to branch out and expand his range of vocal personalities. As each song became a quest for what the vocalist calls "the perfect color," Chiccarelli found himself auditioning, and ultimately using, a stunningly wide array of mics and effects." (http://www.eqmag.com/article/record-throwing-caution/dec-08/89959)

"To Jim everything is a color, an emotion, a feeling," he says, "And just as a guitar player would ask, 'I want it to be silky here, so do I go with a Strat with not a lot of distortion or a Les Paul with not much top end?' Jim makes his [vocal] choices based on color or a brush stroke" (http://books.google.se/books?id=kic4tNzhZF8C&lpg=PP1&rview=1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false)

My Morning Jacket fans know that James has a penchant for reverb-drenched vocals, and while the performances on Evil Urges are a bit more up-front and clean, there are moments where reverb carries his track. "Jim uses reverb just like a painter uses light," Chiccarelli says. "In fact, it's a color to him, a texture, and it's one that he really likes. I will say, though, that these songs are a little bit more immediate and perhaps not so surreal, so it called for less of that." (http://mixonline.com/recording/tracking/audio_morning_jacket)

"I think Jim has a very clear vision right now of what he wants his music to be and he's very much in touch with the heart and soul of his songs," producer Chiccarelli notes. "That's one of his incredible strengths and what makes him one of the greatest songwriters out there, I believe. He's willing to let go enough that as long as the whole intent, the feeling and the emotion of the song is right, all the colors and details seem to fall into place." (http://web.mac.com/andytennille/Liner_Note_Junkie/Home_files/Blurt34-37reprint.pdf)

Well, that was that  :)

johnnYYac

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Mar 02, 2011, 04:51 PM

"While lead vocalist Jim James has one of the most singular voices in rock today, he says that he approached the Evil Urges sessions as an opportunity to branch out and expand his range of vocal personalities. As each song became a quest for what the vocalist calls "the perfect color," Chiccarelli found himself auditioning, and ultimately using, a stunningly wide array of mics and effects." (http://www.eqmag.com/article/record-throwing-caution/dec-08/89959)

"To Jim everything is a color, an emotion, a feeling," he says, "And just as a guitar player would ask, 'I want it to be silky here, so do I go with a Strat with not a lot of distortion or a Les Paul with not much top end?' Jim makes his [vocal] choices based on color or a brush stroke" (http://books.google.se/books?id=kic4tNzhZF8C&lpg=PP1&rview=1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false)

My Morning Jacket fans know that James has a penchant for reverb-drenched vocals, and while the performances on Evil Urges are a bit more up-front and clean, there are moments where reverb carries his track. "Jim uses reverb just like a painter uses light," Chiccarelli says. "In fact, it's a color to him, a texture, and it's one that he really likes. I will say, though, that these songs are a little bit more immediate and perhaps not so surreal, so it called for less of that." (http://mixonline.com/recording/tracking/audio_morning_jacket)

"I think Jim has a very clear vision right now of what he wants his music to be and he's very much in touch with the heart and soul of his songs," producer Chiccarelli notes. "That's one of his incredible strengths and what makes him one of the greatest songwriters out there, I believe. He's willing to let go enough that as long as the whole intent, the feeling and the emotion of the song is right, all the colors and details seem to fall into place." (http://web.mac.com/andytennille/Liner_Note_Junkie/Home_files/Blurt34-37reprint.pdf)

Not bad.  5 hours and across the pond.  Sara... I'm Amazed!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

joey_rogo

the pink bottle, the pink bottle.....

scosby2

i just ordered this issue off the site for 10 bucks. there are some articles about bright eyes and iron and wine in this issue so hopefully it will be worth it. the mmj article is worth it in my book

doughty

SARA BANANA BEAR!!!! 

Aww, Sara! That is ammaaaaaaaazzing work (and thanks for the Bat Signal assist Johnny :)) but the one I'm looking for is definitely pre "Z" era. And it was definitely about capo placement = color of song in his head. Thanks SO MUCH for your work though -- unbelievably cool :) all in one place...

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: doughty on Mar 02, 2011, 09:35 PM

SARA BANANA BEAR!!!! 

Aww, Sara! That is ammaaaaaaaazzing work (and thanks for the Bat Signal assist Johnny :)) but the one I'm looking for is definitely pre "Z" era. And it was definitely about capo placement = color of song in his head. Thanks SO MUCH for your work though -- unbelievably cool :) all in one place...

Anytime I can help! In this case, not so much... but I tried.  :)  Too bad it's so hard to find, it sounded really interesting. It's pretty hard to find pre Z era stuff in general and it doesn't seem to be up on the AS website either :( But maybe someone else remembers it or even saved it?  :)

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 02, 2011, 04:57 PM
Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Mar 02, 2011, 04:51 PM

Not bad.  5 hours and across the pond.  Sara... I'm Amazed!

Well... My Masterplan was that with Good Intentions I'd Hopefully find the article, a Knot Comes Loose scenario, but it seems lost on the Bermuda [interweb] Highway or perhaps I should say behind the Xmas Curtain, either way they're One In The Same anyway... But your kind words are much appreciated, Thank You Too!  ;)

pawpaw

Quote from: TGMC421 on Mar 01, 2011, 06:21 PM
Great article!  This just brought the excitement to new heights!   :D

^THIS!

Thanks so much for posting, Sara.  :)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ManNamedTruth

I overlooked this thread, but happened to see the magazine at the store today and was happy to pick it up. I wasn't surprised to read that they didn't enjoy recording Evil Urges. I always thought that maybe they felt pressure to do that album since it was the longest gap in between albums. It sounds like they're at a comfort level with this new one and I'm hopeful this one will be great.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Erik26

Thanks Sara, as usual you are the first to post a sweet article!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need