The T5 countdown to Circuital

Started by CC, Mar 03, 2011, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkglow

I have a hunch that next week's will be Rollin Back..

they used it for some intro jams on that fall tour and i've been listening to the album version of Rollin' Back alot while enjoying a nice drive out in the sun

what if these songs are the songs that captured the different elements of each album that the band took into the studio to make "circuital"

raw (butch cassidy) live (TWTHS) beautiful (rollin back) surreal (don dante) underrated (remnants)

and then it's circuital

johnnYYac

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 14, 2011, 09:31 PM

they used it for some intro jams on that fall tour and i've been listening to the album version of Rollin' Back alot while enjoying a nice drive out in the sun

what if these songs are the songs that captured the different elements of each album that the band took into the studio to make "circuital"

raw (butch cassidy) live (TWTHS) beautiful (rollin back) surreal (don dante) underrated (remnants)

and then it's circuital
I'd love for you to be right, but I wonder if "size matters".  The first two tracks were 4:30 and 5:39 respectively.  RB and D epic, no?  Over 10 minutes, I suspect.  Might not matter.  They keep us guessing...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

darkglow

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 14, 2011, 09:44 PM
Quote from: darkglow on Mar 14, 2011, 09:31 PM

and then it's circuital
I'd love for you to be right, but I wonder if "size matters".  The first two tracks were 4:30 and 5:39 respectively.  RB and D epic, no?  Over 10 minutes, I suspect.  Might not matter.  They keep us guessing...

bingo.. that's the best part

Apeskies

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 12, 2011, 11:38 AM
Quote from: Apeskies on Mar 12, 2011, 02:59 AM
Whyyyyy did I never explore this message board before? It's SO refreshing hearing so many people geeking out about this fucking amazing band. It's nice knowing it's an active board as well, I hope to get to know some of you peoples.

Can't wait until Monday. Carry on.  ;D
Welcome.  It is a pretty cool place.  And many awesome people here.  Apparently a person's favorable opinion of My Morning Jacket serves as a decent filter.

who woulda thunk it?

hahaha, thanks guys! =D Happy to be here.  8)

Apeskies

I'm living without internets, so I came to this coffee shop to DL today's song. I've been waiting all freaking day! I can't stop listening..........=DD I'm so pissed I missed these shows, still...but I'm glad they've graciously given us these downloads!!

*prays for box set*

tdb810

Quote from: Apeskies on Mar 14, 2011, 10:11 PM
I'm living without internets, so I came to this coffee shop to DL today's song. I've been waiting all freaking day! I can't stop listening..........=DD I'm so pissed I missed these shows, still...but I'm glad they've graciously given us these downloads!!

*prays for box set*

Yes!!!! Box set!  Welcome!
.....Back at the Model Home

Erik26

Quote from: tdb810 on Mar 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Quote from: Apeskies on Mar 14, 2011, 10:11 PM

*prays for box set*

Yes!!!! Box set!  Welcome!

I'll take 2!! :thumbsup:
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

subinai

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 14, 2011, 06:47 PM
Quote from: subinai on Mar 14, 2011, 06:43 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 14, 2011, 06:12 PM
How dare they offer me the free music that I don't want   >:(

hahaha. just sayin!

Really? Someone who actually gets my sense of humor and isn't going to freak out?

Thank you.   :)

i can't stay mad at you

rats21

Bigsky

tdb810

Brilliant! great job! thank you, that adds so much to being right back there in that space in time!
chills**
.....Back at the Model Home

Erik26

Thanks for doing that. Great Job! :thumbsup: :beer:!

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Penny Lane

after yesterday's release, i feel like they are definitely going to release the T5 shows   :-/  I was slightly dissappointed (yet still grateful!) that it was that song and not one of the others, why release a song that there are already a hundred live versions out there..(that said, thank you, sir, may i have another? i still love it..just leads me to believe there will be an official release)..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wolof7

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 15, 2011, 10:11 AM
after yesterday's release, i feel like they are definitely going to release the T5 shows   :-/  I was slightly dissappointed (yet still grateful!) that it was that song and not one of the others, why release a song that there are already a hundred live versions out there..(that said, thank you, sir, may i have another? i still love it..just leads me to believe there will be an official release)..

I agree, either they are pulling bingo balls with song names out of a spinning cage, or they are teasing us for a future release. I'm sorry but the soundboard recordings sound too pristine not to release at some point. Picking that song out of what was played that night was their way of grooming us for future sonic glory. As much as I was hoping for something other than TWTHS, this may be the best sounding live recording of the song I've heard yet (possibly better than Okonokos).

My new question is, when the shows are released, how often will we revisit the studio versions of each album? I think I've only listened to Z twice since Okonokos came out and that was pretty much to just hear the songs that didn't make it on that DVD/CD.  And I love that album!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

BH

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 15, 2011, 10:58 AM

I agree, either they are pulling bingo balls with song names out of a spinning cage, or they are teasing us for a future release. I'm sorry but the soundboard recordings sound too pristine not to release at some point. Picking that song out of what was played that night was their way of grooming us for future sonic glory. As much as I was hoping for something other than TWTHS, this may be the best sounding live recording of the song I've heard yet (possibly better than Okonokos).

My new question is, when the shows are released, how often will we revisit the studio versions of each album? I think I've only listened to Z twice since Okonokos came out and that was pretty much to just hear the songs that didn't make it on that DVD/CD.

The live versions are indeed special, but I still like to go back to the studio albums regularly as I think they come with their own special qualities.   Some of the vocal layers and other production nuggets are like playgrounds for my ears when listening on headsets.  From the very first note of Z, I can't stop smiling.  It's nice that we have both to love!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Erik26

My new question is, when the shows are released, how often will we revisit the studio versions of each album? I think I've only listened to Z twice since Okonokos came out and that was pretty much to just hear the songs that didn't make it on that DVD/CD.  And I love that album!

I agree!

buymycar

Quote from: Erik26 on Mar 15, 2011, 01:31 PM

I agree!

I finally was able to listen to this T5 version of TWTHS on a good system.  I noticed that the bass was really prominent in the mix, which I think comes at the expense of Jim's vocals and both Jim and Carl's guitars.

I then listened to Okonokos' TWTHS on the same system.  The guitars are a lot more prominent in this mix, but they don't come at the expense of the bass.  The bass is a lot more subtle, and interacts with Patrick's drums very well, as it should.

So, it just comes down to a matter of preference.  For me, The Way That He Sings is a guitar song.  I love hearing the interaction between Carl's guitar and Jim's guitar.  I don't hear it as well in the T5 version as I do in the Okonokos version.

1978SGJ

i concur.
T5-LIVE is in the works.

johnnYYac

Quote from: buymycar on Mar 15, 2011, 03:49 PM
Quote from: Erik26 on Mar 15, 2011, 01:31 PM

I agree!

I finally was able to listen to this T5 version of TWTHS on a good system.  I noticed that the bass was really prominent in the mix, which I think comes at the expense of Jim's vocals and both Jim and Carl's guitars.

I then listened to Okonokos' TWTHS on the same system.  The guitars are a lot more prominent in this mix, but they don't come at the expense of the bass.  The bass is a lot more subtle, and interacts with Patrick's drums very well, as it should.

So, it just comes down to a matter of preference.  For me, The Way That He Sings is a guitar song.  I love hearing the interaction between Carl's guitar and Jim's guitar.  I don't hear it as well in the T5 version as I do in the Okonokos version.
That's why I cited my preference for the abbreviated performance of TWTHS on Letterman in October.  The guitars drive the song.  I think its a balanced mix but allows Jim and Carl to bring it.  And they generally play well when they're on TV (OBH on Conan, Gideon w/Boston Pops on Letterman, Anytime on Conan, SNL).

I don't think I've ever heard a bad performance of the this song.  They tend to always do it justice and it is a righteous awesome tune.

Of course, I've listened to the T5 version on my laptop at work, in my car, on my mp3 player, in the kitched CD player, and on my home computer.  I've yet to listen to it on "the system".  Need to do that tonight.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.