Previous topic - Next topic

sittingcow

starfucker - reptilians
james blake - s/t
toro y moi - underneath the pine
washed out - within and without
sbtrkt - sbtrkt
battles - gloss drop
gil scott-heron & jamie xx - we're new here (i like the instrumental version better)
ott - mir
decemberists - the king is dead

ones that i need to remind myself to listen to more (but i think will belong on this list):
is tropical - native to
cut copy - zonoscope
givers - in light
wire - red barked tree

Sidus

Not much Antlers around here  ???. I can really recommend their newest CD "Burst Apart". It's not as "depressive" as "Hospice" but still very, very beautiful. Absolutely one of my favorites this year so far! Can't stop listening  :D. It's especially good when listening with headphones in the dark!  ;) As I read somewhere (might be on this forum, dunno): "Who needs Radiohead when you have The Antlers?"

The Antlers - No Widows (album version)

YouAre_GivenToFly

just saw that the antlers are playing in seattle one night that i'm there with nothing to do. might get a ticket (only $15!!!)
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Guy Whitey Corngood

1.  Wye Oak - Civilian
2.  J Mascis - Several Shades of Why
3.  Radiohead - The King of Limbs
4.  My Morning Jacket - Circuital
5.  Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'

mjk73

This will be my album of the year. I can't see anything topping it.

sweatboard

Handsome Furs - Sound Kapital

I love Dan and this is my favorite thing he's done so far!
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

mjk73

Quote from: sweatboard on Jul 18, 2011, 07:28 PM
and, I don't care what anyone says this album rules!!!!!!

'WHIRRING' THE JOY FORMIDABLE [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
There is absolutly nothing wrong with liking this B. It's great stuff. Check out The Naked and Famous. Came out last year, but damn its good.

Brother Beck

mjk73 - Good call!  I have to say that Frank Turner's England Keep My Bones is my album of the year so far as well.  Just amazing stuff.  The only thing coming out that I can think of that may top it would be Brian Fallon's side project The Horrible Crowes - Elsie.       

Ruckus

Quote from: Brother Beck on Jul 19, 2011, 12:24 AM
mjk73 - Good call!  I have to say that Frank Turner's England Keep My Bones is my album of the year so far as well.  Just amazing stuff.  The only thing coming out that I can think of that may top it would be Brian Fallon's side project The Horrible Crowes - Elsie.     
I'm gonna have to check out this Frank Turner album.  I know nothing about him.  Just out of curiosity, is there any similarity to any Billy Bragg as far as being kinda folk/punky?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 19, 2011, 12:44 AM
I'm gonna have to check out this Frank Turner album.  I know nothing about him.  Just out of curiosity, is there any similarity to any Billy Bragg as far as being kinda folk/punky?
No fam with Billy Bragg, however yes folky/punky. if you're on Spotify, and you should be, you can stream it. It's fantastic.

oistheone

There have been other favorites, and I'll do a full list closer to the end of the year, but since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, I gotta give a huge shout-out to what I think may go down as the best album of the year:

No Time For Dreaming by Charles Bradley

This man is the real deal. Playing with the Menahan Street Band, no less. It doesn't get any funkier. Soul doesn't come more authentic. Simply put, a magnificent record that needs to be heard by everyone. 

kotchishm

Quote from: sittingcow on Jul 10, 2011, 06:04 PM
starfucker - reptilians
james blake - s/t
toro y moi - underneath the pine
washed out - within and without
sbtrkt - sbtrkt
battles - gloss drop
gil scott-heron & jamie xx - we're new here (i like the instrumental version better)
ott - mir
decemberists - the king is dead

ones that i need to remind myself to listen to more (but i think will belong on this list):
is tropical - native to
cut copy - zonoscope
givers - in light
wire - red barked tree

YES!
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

sweatboard

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 18, 2011, 07:54 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Jul 18, 2011, 07:28 PM
and, I don't care what anyone says this album rules!!!!!!

'WHIRRING' THE JOY FORMIDABLE [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
There is absolutly nothing wrong with liking this B. It's great stuff. Check out The Naked and Famous. Came out last year, but damn its good.

Cool, they remixed a TJF song... I dig, thanks!!!

The Joy Formidable kind of remindes me of Silversun Pickups.... The lead singer plays guitar like I would choose to if I had any natural talent.....and she plays the same guitar as thurston moore and robert smith.  I finally know how a girl must feel about stephen malkmus

mjk73

Telekinesis - 12 Desperate Lines
The Belle Brigade - S/T
The Death Set - Michael Poiccard

All are great as well

Eweezy

Quote from: Eweezy on Jul 08, 2011, 09:09 PM

1. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
2. Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See(love this album)
3. Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday
4. Lady GaGa - Born This Way (yeah I like it..wanna fight about it..family guy)
5. Panic At the Disco! - Vices & Virtues

Revised
1. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
2. Arctic Monkeys - Suck It and See(still really love this album)
3. Incubus - If Not Now, When?
4. Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday
5. 311 - Universal Pulse
Yikes!

Ruckus

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 19, 2011, 12:44 AM
No fam with Billy Bragg, however yes folky/punky. if you're on Spotify, and you should be, you can stream it. It's fantastic.
tsk, tsk for not knowing any Billy Bragg.  I'm really enjoying England Keep My Bones as well as the Rock n' Roll EP.  There are a few tracks that cross into FM pop but overall, his lyrics and his voice save it for me.  Really good stuff! :thumbsup:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ALady

Quote from: sittingcow on Jul 10, 2011, 06:04 PM
sbtrkt - sbtrkt

This record is really good.

Also liking Belong Common Era a lot lately.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Penny Lane

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
This will be my album of the year. I can't see anything topping it.

YES. I'm addicted. Perhaps FT and Noel's solo album can give Brit-pop a comeback. Great folky lyrics---the way he says 'northumberland' reminds me of Mark Knofler..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

e_wind

That frank turner hard core album cover is hilarious I'll have to check him out on spotify
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...