Main Menu

Early 90's music

Started by Tracy 2112, Apr 11, 2011, 12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkW

The early 90s were all about Blur, and other bands I loved that came from the 80s such as The Wedding Present and The Stone Roses, but that still made some awesome early 90s albums.

Blur - There's No Other Way

God, Blur look young in that one.

The Wedding Present Dalliance Seamonsters

It's worth staying with this until the guitars cut in at about 3 mins.  In fact, that was so good I'm off to listen to Seamonsters for the umpteenth time.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Sep 07, 2012, 10:58 AM
I was a teen in the '80s and hated  most '80s music. Through the '80s I listened to rock music from the late '60s and early '70s (okay, also The Smiths and The Cure who I will defend to the death). I thought the worst of '80s music was what passed for "rock": that steaming pile of hairspray, guyliner, spandex, cheesy lyrics and predictable riffs. So I was thrilled when '90s grunge came along. It was like rock came back to life.

My college roommate my freshman year was all into the big hair bands and it was hell on earth for me?!  But slowly, I convinced him what REAL music was and converted him into a big Pixies fan and suprisingly he became a big fan of Felt as well (he was a guitarist and he really dug all of the classical stylings of Lawrence on many of Felt's instrumental songs).

I was big into these guys as well.

Rusted Root - Cat Turned Blue 6/94

Rusted Root at the Grassroots Festival 1994

Rusted Root - Food And Creative Love 6/94

They were a 'local' band of sorts.  They were from Pittsburgh and I went to college about an hour north of Pittsburgh at Westminster College.  They played shows at my college as well as several shows at other local colleges like Allegheny and Slippery Rock so we got to see a LOT of small, intimate shows before they became discovered.

The last time I saw them was opening up for Page and Plant in Dallas at the old Reunion Arena and thinking how far they had come from playing in front of maybe 100 Westminster students in our student lounge?!   :cheesy:

Oh and I was in LOVE with Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star as well...  :kiss:

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Darkstarflashes on Sep 07, 2012, 08:36 AM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 07, 2012, 12:43 AM
You remind me of the idiot rednecks at the bar when I go to the digital jukebox, that tell (warn) me not to play rap, not that i was planning to anyway.  :evil:
I'm sorry to have made you so angry to make you feel you have to insult me by calling me (or at least saying I remind you of ) an idiot redneck. One thing I am not is a redneck. I have removed the statements that got you so upset. Sorry again. I will be leaving now.
Peace!
Darkstarflashes

I don't want you to leave us because of that. I was in a shitty mood after work, didn't mean to come off so harsh. It just surprises me that some MMJ fans aren't more open-minded to all types of music. I stand by my statement that rap/hip-hop is (can be) a form of artistic expression and should be respected.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

iLikeBeer

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 07, 2012, 12:29 PM
I stand by my statement that rap/hip-hop is (can be) a form of artistic expression and should be respected.

I totally agree with this.  I don't much care for most hip-hop/rap music, but that doesn't mean I don't see it as a form of artistic expression and I have mad respect for many of those dudes as musicians and artists...

ManNamedTruth

Seeing  The Roots live is like seeing a great live rock band, sorry this isn't early 90's.

The Roots - Rising Up (live on Late Night w/David Letterman)

Jon T.

You remind me of the idiot rednecks at the bar when I go to the digital jukebox, that tell (warn) me not to play rap, not that i was planning to anyway.  :evil:
I'm sorry to have made you so angry to make you feel you have to insult me by calling me (or at least saying I remind you of ) an idiot redneck. One thing I am not is a redneck. I have removed the statements that got you so upset. Sorry again. I will be leaving now.
Peace!
Darkstarflashes

I don't want you to leave us because of that. I was in a shitty mood after work, didn't mean to come off so harsh. It just surprises me that some MMJ fans aren't more open-minded to all types of music. I stand by my statement that rap/hip-hop is (can be) a form of artistic expression and should be respected.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jon T. on Sep 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
Peace!
Darkstarflashes

Ha I said (can be) because of the moronic mainstream stuff where they just brag about their money and possessions.

Tracy 2112

somehow these 2 were missed, maybe b/c some of you are arguing about if rap music is art. Focus on the thread people!

EARLY 90's MUSIC

2 of my favorites:

Arrested Development - Mama's Always On Stage

Living Colour - Elvis Is Dead (live)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

CC

MarkW

Quote from: CC Baxter on Sep 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
Digable Planets

Still listen to Blowout Comb.  So good.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Murph

Wu-tang Clan - Da Mystery of Chessboxin'

Can anyone NOT love this album, or is it just my generation that does?

Jon T.

Quote from: Fully on Sep 07, 2012, 04:17 AM
Or to put it in rock terms, for every Wilco there's a 311 out there.

Watch it, asshole!  Some of the best shows I've seen and best memories are 311 concerts "back in the day".  When they first came out, they were raw and were badass live.  I've still got cigarette burn scars on the tops of my hand from when me and my old buddy John put them out on our hands at Tipitina's in 1994.  We wanted a permanent reminder of that night.  Yes, we were those guys.

In 96, in college, Kevin and I were in soccer preseason doing 3 a days.  Train at 8, gym at noon, and train again at 4.  We drove to Pensacola from south Georgia to watch them at our old music hall immediately after our afternoon practice.  After the show, drove back to school got in around 5ish and had to practice at 8.  I'll never forget that morning cuz my buddy was our keeper and we had an intense shooting drill that morning.  He was miserable... 

I don't care for them anymore, but I do get nostalgic from time to time thinking about all of the chaos from that time period in my life.

anyway, what were we talking about in here?

Fully

Quote from: Jon T. on Sep 07, 2012, 03:24 PM

Watch it, asshole!  Some of the best shows I've seen and best memories are 311 concerts "back in the day".  When they first came out, they were raw and were badass live.  I've still got cigarette burn scars on the tops of my hand from when me and my old buddy John put them out on our hands at Tipitina's in 1994.  We wanted a permanent reminder of that night.  Yes, we were those guys.

In 96, in college, Kevin and I were in soccer preseason doing 3 a days.  Train at 8, gym at noon, and train again at 4.  We drove to Pensacola from south Georgia to watch them at our old music hall immediately after our afternoon practice.  After the show, drove back to school got in around 5ish and had to practice at 8.  I'll never forget that morning cuz my buddy was our keeper and we had an intense shooting drill that morning.  He was miserable... 

I don't care for them anymore, but I do get nostalgic from time to time thinking about all of the chaos from that time period in my life.

My 311 memories are much more pathetic. My husband who owns five cd's and three cassingles generally gets one of those five cd's and plays it on repeat for around five months -  sometimes seven while he showers in the morning. They are made up of one 311 cd, Megadeth's Psychotron, George Micheal's Freedom, an Elvis Christmas CD, and the soundtrack to O, Brother, Where Art Thou? On cassingle, the only one I know is the theme from Cops - Bad Boys by Inner Circle? maybe. He played that damn 311 cd for two freakin' years.  The man doesn't really love music, but when he does.... So I have my reasons for hating 311. The other ones I can handle on occasion, but never 311 - NEVER! 90's Ska/rap/rock hybrids were not the top of my music love. In fact, I was as relieved by the demise of that subgenre as the demise of female r&b artists who sung like Destiny's Child and Destiny's Child. So many drives home from work without a decent cd player in my car during those years - so much PTSD.

Jon T.

Quote from: Fully on Sep 07, 2012, 03:54 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Sep 07, 2012, 03:24 PM

My 311 memories are much more pathetic. My husband who owns five cd's and three cassingles generally gets one of those five cd's and plays it on repeat for around five months -  sometimes seven while he showers in the morning. They are made up of one 311 cd, Megadeth's Psychotron, George Micheal's Freedom, an Elvis Christmas CD, and the soundtrack to O, Brother, Where Art Thou? On cassingle, the only one I know is the theme from Cops - Bad Boys by Inner Circle? maybe. He played that damn 311 cd for two freakin' years.  The man doesn't really love music, but when he does.... So I have my reasons for hating 311. The other ones I can handle on occasion, but never 311 - NEVER! 90's Ska/rap/rock hybrids were not the top of my music love. In fact, I was as relieved by the demise of that subgenre as the demise of female r&b artists who sung like Destiny's Child and Destiny's Child. So many drives home from work without a decent cd player in my car during those years - so much PTSD.
Naw, I get it and I don't care for them anymore but being a 16 yr old punk this scene was the shit!!! Watch the crowd in the 2nd song.

http://youtu.be/zqOl23VrKO4

manonthemoon

Everyone's got styles they like or don't like with anything subjective like music.  A couple more youthful memories.

Hum - I Hate It Too

Busta Rhymes - Woo Hah!! (Got You All In Check)

Alive or Just Breathing

woodnymph

Definitely LOVE HUM   :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Oh wowwwww.... haven't heard this Hum in for.EVER!!!!  This is amazing.  Wow.... thank you so much for posting!!!  This is a time capsule.

woodnymph

This is EXACTLY how I'm feeling and what I needed today.

Clarkwork

Loving the Hum. We need to create an ultimate early 90's playlist.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....