Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manonthemoon

Sleep - (part of) Dragonaut live at MD Deathfest XI 5/26/2013

I am in the bottom right of this video at times in front of the big security guard.  you can see me looking at the crowd surfer at :15. 
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Sorry I missed you Bill, I wasn't sure if you were still coming since Carpathian Forest wasn't playing.  Glad you enjoyed Pentagram though, will have to catch up next time.
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

The worst part about this awesome fest is now I am thinking about going to Hopscotch in NC to just see Sleep again.
Alive or Just Breathing

Ruckus

Quote from: manonthemoon on May 28, 2013, 09:48 PM

I am in the bottom right of this video at times in front of the big security guard.  you can see me looking at the crowd surfer at :15.
This is awesome motm!  So bummed we missed Sunday.  This was THE set I wanted to see besides Pelican.  Catch you at JRoddy right?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Quote from: Tired Eyes on May 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
I went to MDF on Sunday.  It was my first time attending MDF and I hope to return next year for at least 3 if not all 4 days.

I got there a bit before 5 and checked out some merch indoors.  I didn't buy anything then (a mistake...more on that later).  I then saw Mr Whippy and we talked for a bit before I went over to see Pagan Altar.  Unfortunately I missed seeing manonthemoon and never got to meet alienlanes.

Pagan Altar was a very good UK doom act.  They were doing their music many years ago but I think it has only been issued/reissued fairly recently. 

I then went to see Sacred Reich.  While I have seen many thrash acts before, this was my first time seeing them.  While they were good, I left their set a bit early as I wanted to try to get a tshirt or two before heading back for Manilla Road on stage 2.  I waited in a line at a vendor that had lots of good shirts.  The line moved fairly quickly until this one couple who treated merch buying like it was a new car purchase...they took forever!  As a result I had to leave the line to go catch Manilla Road.

Manilla Road are a band from Wichita, KS (which happens to be my mom's hometown) that started in 1977.  They play power/traditional metal and they are excellent.  I really enjoyed their set.

Then I was hungry so waited in line for a pulled pork sandwich and birch beer at Zombie Barbecue's stand.  The line moved slowly and MDF has very short setbreaks (sometimes none at all between stages 1 and 2) so Sleep started while I was waiting in line.  Luckily they were so loud that I could hear them.  I went over and watched them and loved their set.  This was my 2nd time seeing them as I saw them at the Masonic Temple in Brooklyn back in 2010.  I went back to stage 2 and listened to the end of their set from there since I didn't want to be late for Pentagram.

Pentagram is a legendary doom band from the Baltimore/DC area that (as singer Bobby Liebling mentioned during their set) first started in 1970.  They were really good.  I only have 2 of their CDs thus far so didn't know all the songs they played.  I will be picking up more of their catalog.

I then went back to stage 1 for my last band of the festival, Venom.  Venom named their 2nd album Black Metal but they were really more of an influence on early thrash than early black metal.  While they were alright, I doubt I would go see one of their own headlining shows.  They are a trio from the UK and I kept comparing them to Motorhead (who I've seen twice).  Venom just doesn't compare to Motorhead in either songwriting or overall sound.  The early thrash bands also blew Venom away in terms of force and energy.  Venom was running long and there was much grumbling when the power was cut during the last song.  I was rather indifferent as I wanted to try to get a tshirt before driving to Philly (my place to sleep on Sunday night). 

I went back to the same vendor from before.  I kept naming bands and he was out of my size.  Thanks a lot, slow couple!   :angry:  Finally I asked him for a Hellhammer shirt in my size and he said it was the last one.  Phew.
Oh yeah...they were giving out free copies of Decibel magazine in the same building.  I had picked one up before Pagan Altar and had carried it around with me all day.  Then I set it down and forget it when I'm buying my tshirt. :rolleyes:

I noticed one person all day wearing a band tshirt of a non-metal band.  It was a shirt from a 2011 Pogues tour.  The tshirt vendor that I mentioned had mostly metal shirts (and a bit of hardcore like Minor Threat).  He also had Johnny Cash which goes to show that The Man In Black has extensive cross-genre appeal.

There were major issues with getting out of the festival.  They didn't open enough gates for some time so it was really slow going to get out.  Then when they finally opened more space, we were streaming out and all of a sudden there's an altercation between a woman and a security guy.  Someone accidentally ran into my my left arm as they rushed over to get involved.  I don't know what precipitated the confrontation but I think that's why the police were called.  I walked away and back to my car to leave Baltimore.
I hope it was overall a good time Bill.  I don't know why I had stuck in my head that you had attended at least one MDF before. :huh:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MrWhippy

Quote from: manonthemoon on May 28, 2013, 09:51 PM
The worst part about this awesome fest is now I am thinking about going to Hopscotch in NC to just see Sleep again.

I know!  I'm strongly considering that, too. 

I have this fantasy of heading down to Hopscotch to catch Sleep and Spiritualized then stopping by the Interlocken Fest thing in VA on the way home to catch the night where Neil Young and Crazy Horse headline. 

The timing might actually work because Hopscotch is Thurs-Fri-Sat, and Interlocken goes until Sunday.  I don't think Interlocken sells one-day tickets, though.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

manonthemoon

Quote from: Ruckus on May 28, 2013, 10:10 PM
Quote from: manonthemoon on May 28, 2013, 09:48 PM

This is awesome motm!  So bummed we missed Sunday.  This was THE set I wanted to see besides Pelican.  Catch you at JRoddy right?

Yeah I was suprised you weren't there, but I am sure Carcass and Pelican were good on Thursday.   We'll definately see you for J Roddy, really looking forward to them as I haven't seen them live and I want some vinyl.
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on May 29, 2013, 05:54 AM
Quote from: manonthemoon on May 28, 2013, 09:51 PM

I know!  I'm strongly considering that, too. 

I have this fantasy of heading down to Hopscotch to catch Sleep and Spiritualized then stopping by the Interlocken Fest thing in VA on the way home to catch the night where Neil Young and Crazy Horse headline. 

The timing might actually work because Hopscotch is Thurs-Fri-Sat, and Interlocken goes until Sunday.  I don't think Interlocken sells one-day tickets, though.

I thought of you when I saw Inter Arma was playing the festival as well as Pig Destroyer.  For me the over all line up isn't too strong, but if Sleep has a good set time on Saturday I may be down for a one day stop in.  which reminds me I need to send you that Documentary that I was talking about with Sleep, Kyuss, Wino, Pentagram, etc that I was talking about on Saturday.
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Alive or Just Breathing

Mr. White

I got 13 a couple of days ago and think it is killer!

Here is an official Live Album Release Hangout Event (from 2 days ago).

http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialSabbath

BLACK SABBATH ARE HEAVY METAL!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

MrWhippy

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 13, 2013, 09:49 PM
I got 13 a couple of days ago and think it is killer!

Here is an official Live Album Release Hangout Event (from 2 days ago).

http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialSabbath

BLACK SABBATH ARE HEAVY METAL!

That is great to hear positive things about the new Black Sabbath.  I was not expecting it to be good, now I'm very psyched to hear it. 

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

MrWhippy

Another amazing recent release is Sunbather by Deafheaven.  It is a perfect melding of black metal and shoegaze.  Serious masterpiece of an album. 

MrWhippy

The schedule for the Hopscotch Music Festival in Raleigh, NC came out today, and Saturday Sept. 7 has an amazing metal triple shot of Inter Arma, Evoken, and Sleep all in a row and at the same venue.  Add to the fact that the headlining set by Spiritualized happens right before that.  That's a pretty amazing evening. 

Manonthemoon, you up for a little road trip?

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jun 26, 2013, 05:40 PM
The schedule for the Hopscotch Music Festival in Raleigh, NC came out today, and Saturday Sept. 7 has an amazing metal triple shot of Inter Arma, Evoken, and Sleep all in a row and at the same venue.  Add to the fact that the headlining set by Spiritualized happens right before that.  That's a pretty amazing evening. 

Manonthemoon, you up for a little road trip?

Awesome, I was hoping that Sleep would pull a Saturday spot since they're a pretty big draw.

As long as work cooperates I think I'll be in on this with you whippy.

So are you doing Interlocken as well?
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Quote from: manonthemoon on Jun 26, 2013, 07:46 PM

So are you doing Interlocken as well?

No Interlocken.  The only thing I care about at that is Neil and he's on Saturday, so the original fantasy of Sleep and Spiritualized on Saturday in Raleigh and Neil on Sunday would not work.  Also I don't think Interlocken is doing 1-day tickets.

manonthemoon

BLACK TUSK - "In Days of Woe" (Official Music Video)

I do like the new song by Black Tusk, hopefully the rest of the new EP will be just as good as I really liked the song of their newest split 7 Iron Giants.
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/530043-album-premiere-lord-dying-summon-the-faithless

Lord Dying out of Portland has their first LP release streaming at the above link.  Pretty solid stuff overall, definately some stoner rock influence mixed with black and more classic metal as well.  Caught them when they toured with Red Fang and they do put on a good live show.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

MDF announced the first 10 bands for next year and is off to a really nice start.  Particularly psyched for Gorguts and Bongripper.

CC

i don't know most of these bands but i'm going.