The NFL Thread: 2011

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

First off, I sadly have to congratulate the Super Bowl Champoin Green Bay Packers. Considering all the injuries they endured, they had a hell of a year to win it all.

I wasnt even all that interested in the draft this year because I was too pissed about the lockout, but once this week came around I got excited and that judge ending the lockout got me even more pumped.

Gotta say last night was a pretty weird draft, but it was still all kinds of fun. I think this year's QB class is pretty overrated, and no way should anyone besides Newton and Gabbert go in round 1, let alone 4 in the Top 12, but that allowed some value to drop. Of course the top talent went early, but I thought a lot of really good players dropped into the 20's and the rich just got richer. Extremely happy the Patsies didnt take Mark Ingram. Their offense wouldve been unstoppable if they did in all liklihood (him getting drafted was certainly 1 of the better moments of last night. Cant believe ATL traded up that far (has moving up 21 picks or more even happened?!). I like Julio, but thats an awful lot. Considering how much help Cleveland needs, smart move by them IMO. When Amukamara fell all the way to 19, I was really hoping we'd trade up to get him. Great pick, biggest value of round 1 Id say

Everyone seemed to be mock drafting us to pick Aaron Williams, and considering the talent that fell, Im extremely happy they didnt take him and got Iron Head Jr. I knew they must have loved him since it took like 1 minute to make their pick, but hearing Tomlin and our GM talk about how they thought he was a Top 20 talent in the draft and a special player, I like it even more.

"Ironhead" Heyward Zest Body Wash

Im almost even more excited for tonight
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Agreed on atlanta.  They gave up a ton to move up to get a clone of Roddy White.  Daquan Bowers knee must be busted because I love his skills!  I thought the Vikings taking Ponder at 12 was preposterous, particularly because they could easily have gotten him later had they been able to trade down.  I like Andy Dalton a lot and my buddy and I were having a laugh about Locker last night because whether he pans out or not, we love him.  This qb class is overrated and I don't see Newton panning out as #1 worthy at all unless Carolina gets real clever with utilizing those two backs with him.  I love Gabbert's release but his numbers were uninspiring in a spread offense.

I loved it when the Wisconsin DE went off the board.  We knew that the 1st white guy would be the 1st 'high motor guy" to go.

I was hoping that Leshoure and Wilson might make it off the board to make 3 llini in the 1st round.

Jake Locker baby!  Gotta love a qb with accuracy issues!  Doesn't matter cuz he's Jake Locker!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Yeah, Bowers knee must be popsicle sticks and bubblegum because I just dont see how it can be that bad. I kind of wanted the Steelers to take a flier on him, but they love Heyward apparently and obviously he's a safer pick. How do you like your picks? Think Carimi was a big steal, wouldve loved him to fall to us. Dont know much about Wilkerson outside of him supposed to go in the 1st but he sounds a little risky.

Yeah, I like Locker, but out of the 7 QBs that are/were supposed to go in the first 2 rounds, he looks like the worst QB to me yet he goes 8th. Newton seems like too much of a wildcard to really project, so Gabbert is probably the best but I almost think Mallett and Kaepernick are the best QBs of the bunch. Getting them in the 2nd def makes me think either is a smarter pick than these average QBs that went Top 12
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Tracy 2112

Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM
First off, I sadly have to congratulate the Super Bowl Champoin Green Bay Packers.

That was like 3 months ago   :-\

I think Reggie is officially gone for the Saints   :)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM
First off, I sadly have to congratulate the Super Bowl Champoin Green Bay Packers.

That was like 3 months ago   :-\

I think Reggie is officially gone for the Saints   :)

Its been fun New Orleans!  ;D

..I wouldnt mind signing him as a backup for like 2yrs $5mill if we dont draft a decent RB in the mid rounds, but Im sure someone will give him more loot than that

capt. scotty

I guess Ray Ray's planning on going back to his night job of stabbing people  ;D

Inspired linebacker Ray Lewis discusses lockout, impact on crime

iLikeBeer

I have to say, if the NFL wanted to push me further away from their game and closer to CFB, this bullshit lockout surrounding millionaire players arguing with billionaire owners over who's making more money has pretty much squashed my interest in their freaking sport altogether!  >:(

And it looks like the NBA will be joining them...  ::)

pawpaw

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 23, 2011, 02:50 PM
I guess Ray Ray's planning on going back to his night job of stabbing people  ;D

Inspired linebacker Ray Lewis discusses lockout, impact on crime

I heard this the other day. Ray's got to get into acting at some point, he's just too good!  ;D

"Walkin' the streets...the way I walk the streets..."

"Watch how much Evil...which we call The Crime..."

He does have a point though. I'm sure there'll be a spike in unemployed NFL player arrests if this thing doesn't get settled in the next few months!  ;D
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

walterfredo

I'm sitting at the anchor steam bar at sfo right next to Joe Montana. I'm starstruck.

Jon T.

Quote from: walterfredo on May 30, 2011, 07:20 PM
I'm sitting at the anchor steam bar at sfo right next to Joe Montana. I'm starstruck.
How are his calf muscles?  ;D
That's pretty cool!

capt. scotty

darkglow

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 25, 2011, 12:42 PM
Football Cops Trailer

holy shit man, that was funny.. shines a bright light on a real dark subject of conversation right now

Tracy 2112

littleacorn

mmj blew my brain to bits on 6-17-11,8-22-12, 6-11-15, 5-28-16, 5-29-16

Tracy 2112

so scotty, whose side are you on? James Harrison's or the World's?

kotchishm

JAMES HARRISON!!!!!! 

I could do without the Roethlisberger comments but him saying he wouldn't piss on Goodell if he were on fire made me laugh might have to be my new forum sig.  I'm sure a lot of distraught fans feel the same way about Goodell (and DeMaurice Smith for that matter) due to current circumstances. 

Go Steelers!
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

peafunk31

I have no idea what to think of the Eagles at this point. Sure, there will most likely be a flurry of activity once the lockout ends. But there are a bunch of holes on the roster at this point. The birds need a corner, DE, DT & possibly a LB. It wouldn't hurt to get 1 more OL stud either. I wonder if trading Kolb could address all these issues ::)
Homer no function beer well without.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 13, 2011, 04:54 PM
so scotty, whose side are you on? James Harrison's or the World's?

I havent read the actual article, just saw the highlights I guess, and Im split. The comments about Roeth and Mendy are unwarranted, but apparently Harrison (aka Silverback) has talked to them and theyre all good. His statements about both of them struck me as odd, and if he clarified it with each of them, okay, but how do you say something even close to that about your teamates?

His comments about Goodell I have no problem with. He's a UFA who didnt make NFL money til his 30's, and now he's getting penalized for it. I wont argue he's made hits that warrant fining, but seeiing them talk about his fines today and that he got 25k for just tackling Brees is absurd.

Im just hoping they figure this bullshit out soon

Tracy 2112

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
His comments about Goodell I have no problem with. He's a UFA who didnt make NFL money til his 30's, and now he's getting penalized for it. I wont argue he's made hits that warrant fining, but seeiing them talk about his fines today and that he got 25k for just tackling Brees is absurd.

He's a great football player but someone needs to reign him in. I think he hates playing 3rd fiddle to Ben and Troy P (and maybe even Hines Ward) so in his 3rd grade mind he's looking for press. Ray Lewis killed 27 people in 4 states but he eventually redeemed himself. Maybe Harrison can do the same.

TheBigChicken

Quote from: walterfredo on May 30, 2011, 07:20 PM
[/quote

what did you say ? did you even speak.....wow Cool Joe.....he was the best...last 2 minutes in a game ....I wanted Montana to have the ball....wow
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry