My Circuital Review

Started by MyJacket18, May 04, 2011, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Holy shit!  I'm so glad I decided to read through those 12 pages?!   :D

I was late to the forum party and missed all the fun after EU.  Is this just a sample of what we have to look forward to after the 31st when the album is officially released?

I've always wondered why people join the forum for the sole purpose of ragging on a new album.  From what I hear, there were a bunch of new members who joined to give their 'expert' opinions on EU and now it appears that trend is starting over again with Circuital?!   ::)

As for the new record, well, I caved and decided to download the leak!   Couldn't resist the urge to become acclimated with the new music before seeing them on the 31st.  :beer:  I also figured I've already purchased the album when I joined Roll Call, so why pass up the opportunity to enjoy this new record for an extra 3 weeks!   8)  I downloaded it last Friday and, like Johnny I can't stop listening to it!

Quote from: Bigsky on May 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on May 09, 2011, 11:07 PM
Well, that was mighty painful.  Not sure what the hell happened, but back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

Likin' this more and more each time, probably listen to it 2-3 times a day.  I might need an intervention.  I understand some of the negative reactions, but free your mind of all bullshit and you'll really enjoy it. 

I've been intriqued by something Jim's been doing vocally since at least early 2010, putting hard emphasis on concluding consonants at the end of verses.  He doesn't do it consistently, but here are some examples, from Victory Dance:

"My good work"  "the meek"  "you should work

I'm also finding the tempo shifts or something happens to the vocal sync with the melody in The Day is Coming, subtle and challenging, keeps you on your toes.  I'm sure I'm not making any sense here.

And First Light will explode on stage!  Much louder, heavier fuzz bass, and a killer light show!!!

I think I’m enjoying this album so much, because I never have any assumptions when listening to a new album…I am able to listen to it without thinking about previous releases and just enjoy it for being new and different. I have also become accustom to MMJ music sounding very different live. Being brainwashed by MMJ also helps…I’ll enjoy anything they do.

The only track that I’m still not loving is “Outta My System”…I wish it was played louder and a bit quicker and not so friendly. 

I am loving how JJ is playing with the K's in VD...he is always bending the English language.

I also notice on a couple of the tracks that Patrick seems to be dragging the beat and slowing things down...just for a couple seconds and he picks it back up...it's very subtle, but it tends to play with me ears.

Well said by both of you!  Thanks for at least attempting to steer this thread back to some normalcy!  BigSky, I could not agree more with your opinion.  I totally feel the same way!  I had no assumptions as to what to expect from this album.  My first listen, I was in my car with the music cranked and I was just happy as hell to be listening to some new tunes by my favorite fucking band!  I wasn't thinking about what songs are too slow, or how the track order doesn't work or what songs I did or didn't like!  I was just HAPPY!   8)

BTW, maybe a more appropriate name for the album for some of you would have been Critical instead of Circuital! 

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

SplatSplatSplat

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 10, 2011, 01:33 PM
Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on May 10, 2011, 12:02 PM

As a whole, I think "Circuital" is a pretty solid album, albeit one with a more laid back send off.  To be fair most MMJ albums end with a slow song or two just like this one, yet those previous albums' closing tracks tend the be a bit more epic.  Going out a bit more laid back this time makes sense.  But I still can't shake the feeling...that I want one more good scream to the heavens before the album ends. Oh well.

I honestly do miss the guitars.  They are still there, but they aren't front and center like the older songs.  And that's not a bad thing.  Rather than being hamstrung by having to center each song around them, the band seems to have relegated them to just another one of their weapons.  It's more about creating a good song, than a good "rock" song.  And I can respect that.  But, I seriously wouldn't mind a couple more solos thrown in here and there.   I like rock n roll, what can I say?

Overall production and sound is really tight and really suits the band.  Sounds a bit like Z and I love that album's sound. 

Lastly, I'm not really getting all the non-love for "Outta My System" at all.  I think it's the best song on the album BY FAR.  I don't think it sounds anything like MOF.  Sounds like a newer Gideon to me. And I think it's going to grab a bunch of people by the balls when it's unleashed in concert.

Also, I'm thinking the leaked version is incomplete...seems that maybe some of the mixing/mastering wasn't finished in addition to the incomplete "YWFO".  Can't wait to hear the final version...when I buy it.

and you're wrong. Outta My System = MOF

Actually, I'm not wrong.  Because that would imply there is a right answer.  And there isn't, buddy.  Our perceptions differ.  I was merely pointing out for those that may have not listened to the LP yet that this song isn't as bad as the rep it's getting around here.

But, I mean, really.  What do I know?  I don't have over 1,000 posts so I must be new here and therefor know nothing about anything related to the Jacket. 
You need it.  That's for sure.

mjk73

This thread really never got going  :-\

e_wind

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on May 10, 2011, 04:55 PM
Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 10, 2011, 01:33 PM
Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on May 10, 2011, 12:02 PM

As a whole, I think "Circuital" is a pretty solid album, albeit one with a more laid back send off.  To be fair most MMJ albums end with a slow song or two just like this one, yet those previous albums' closing tracks tend the be a bit more epic.  Going out a bit more laid back this time makes sense.  But I still can't shake the feeling...that I want one more good scream to the heavens before the album ends. Oh well.

I honestly do miss the guitars.  They are still there, but they aren't front and center like the older songs.  And that's not a bad thing.  Rather than being hamstrung by having to center each song around them, the band seems to have relegated them to just another one of their weapons.  It's more about creating a good song, than a good "rock" song.  And I can respect that.  But, I seriously wouldn't mind a couple more solos thrown in here and there.   I like rock n roll, what can I say?

Overall production and sound is really tight and really suits the band.  Sounds a bit like Z and I love that album's sound. 

Lastly, I'm not really getting all the non-love for "Outta My System" at all.  I think it's the best song on the album BY FAR.  I don't think it sounds anything like MOF.  Sounds like a newer Gideon to me. And I think it's going to grab a bunch of people by the balls when it's unleashed in concert.

Also, I'm thinking the leaked version is incomplete...seems that maybe some of the mixing/mastering wasn't finished in addition to the incomplete "YWFO".  Can't wait to hear the final version...when I buy it.

and you're wrong. Outta My System = MOF

Actually, I'm not wrong.  Because that would imply there is a right answer.  And there isn't, buddy.  Our perceptions differ.  I was merely pointing out for those that may have not listened to the LP yet that this song isn't as bad as the rep it's getting around here.

But, I mean, really.  What do I know?  I don't have over 1,000 posts so I must be new here and therefor know nothing about anything related to the Jacket.

Finally, someone gets it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Quote from: markcel on May 10, 2011, 01:38 PM
This thread reminds me of the argument skit on Monty Python:

http://youtu.be/teMlv3ripSM (No idea how to embed the video).
Monty Python - Argument Clinic
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

The DARK

Quote from: kotchishm on May 10, 2011, 04:36 PM
SPIN Review 8/10

http://www.spin.com/reviews/my-morning-jacket-circuital-ato

Weird review... I agree that it sounds like the Who in parts, but it takes the comparison overboard. The key standout track on the album, Holdin on to Black Metal, sounds nothing like the Who, so it hardly gets mentioned.

Also, I hope that Evil Urges assessment doesn't become a trend in the way that "southern-fried" did... yes, one can argue that it is a weaker album, but when did 1 1/2 songs (HS and only the verse of Evil Urges) on a 13 song album define it as jam-funk? Also, it seems to be the only way that writers can think of to introduce their previews and reviews of Circuital. Nothing about the unique recording process or an interesting piece of an interview, only about how Evil Urges sucked (Spin gave it a 9/10, anyway).
In another time, in another place, in another face

sweatboard

Quote from: Darklands on May 10, 2011, 08:33 PM

Most appropriate post of all time?
There's Still Time.........

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quote from: sweatboard on May 11, 2011, 02:27 AM

of all time? I would have to disagree.  there were more appropriate posts around the time of "bluntmaster" (2008)
God damn those shaky knees.

Ghosts_on_TV

You guys who think this album sucks are nuts. That is all.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Jahmazed

Trying to actually talk about the music here can be almost as annoying as trying to ignore the loud talkers at a show  >:( 

Bigsky

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on May 11, 2011, 04:46 AM
You guys who think this album sucks are nuts. That is all.

I think you ment to say they suck nuts... ;D

Bigsky

I've been listening to the new album non-stop since I got it...it has become part of my daily life and it's pretty sweet. The variety of music on this album is unbelievable, with each track being unique and powerful on its own.

As a whole the album is well engineered; the way the songs blend into one another is effortless and smooth... I can't wait to watch the making of the album. VD is such a good start...I really hope they use this as an opener to get the crowd pumped...and JJ better be wearing war paint. The lyrics of all the track are incredible...simple words with powerful messages.

mjk73

Quote from: sweatboard on May 11, 2011, 02:27 AM

Like a Pujols homerun

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quote from: Bigsky on May 11, 2011, 08:58 AM
I've been listening to the new album non-stop since I got it...it has become part of my daily life and it's pretty sweet. The variety of music on this album is unbelievable, with each track being unique and powerful on its own.

As a whole the album is well engineered; the way the songs blend into one another is effortless and smooth... I can't wait to watch the making of the album. VD is such a good start...I really hope they use this as an opener to get the crowd pumped...and JJ better be wearing war paint. The lyrics of all the track are incredible...simple words with powerful messages.

agreed.  it's a pop masterpiece. 
God damn those shaky knees.

Jon T.

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 11, 2011, 04:23 PM
Quote from: Bigsky on May 11, 2011, 08:58 AM

agreed.  it's a pop masterpiece.

:thumbsup:

mmmhmmmm

Robbman

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on May 09, 2011, 10:58 AM
Quote from: Robbman on May 09, 2011, 08:13 AM
Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 08, 2011, 05:58 PM
MMJ reminds me A LOT of Radiohead in this matter - they make the music the want to.  Eventually people will come around to it...I mean come on, how many listens did it take everyone to finally appreciate and love "King Of Limbs"...a lot, I know.

I consider myself a Radiohead fan, and I still do not like that album.

But what is the reason you do not like it?  Because it's Dubstep?  Or because the songs are bad?

I'm not an audiophile, but I get the quality of the production. I just don't like the album. Does the music suck? I don't know.. I think it has value it just doesn't speak to me on any level.  Too much like techno. I'm not a fan of techno, so if a band is going to use electronic elements, it's a fine line. Radiohead has tended to get more of a pass in that department from me in the past, because they incorporate electronic elements so much better than other bands. I loved, loved, loved In Rainbows and OK Computer is my all-time Radiohead favorite, but this is the first album of theirs that I have flat out disliked.

Back to Circuital.. as others have said, it has grown on me significantly. I'm super excited that the band announced they're coming to Charlotte for the second time ever in August! Woot!

steve_h

Please, I keep giving this collection of averageness a chance but really I can only listen to Victory Dance, Circuital and Wonderful. The rest is just far below what we would expect from MMJ.
What the hell has gone wrong here? I was so looking forward to this album.
By far the worst album to date and sadly I rank this behind Evil Urges by far.

walterfredo

adl6690

Quote from: steve_h on May 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
Please, I keep giving this collection of averageness a chance but really I can only listen to Victory Dance, Circuital and Wonderful. The rest is just far below what we would expect from MMJ.
What the hell has gone wrong here? I was so looking forward to this album.
By far the worst album to date and sadly I rank this behind Evil Urges by far.

Hmmmm.. this kind of post seems vaguely familiar in this thread.

From a new user who didn't join the forum for the purpose of bashing the new record, this record is definitely growing on me. I'm still not sure what I think, but I am really enjoying these new songs and find myself wanting to listen to them everyday. That is a good sign. It doesn't matter how the record compares to the others, I'm just happy to have a new batch of songs from the band I love, and a band that has lots more in store for the future.