My Circuital Review

Started by MyJacket18, May 04, 2011, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: DougMac on May 09, 2011, 06:08 PM
Quote from: e_wind on May 09, 2011, 03:13 PM

This is what I'm sayin. It's funny to hear people say that the professional multi million dollar band doesn't know what they're doing. There is a difference between bad and dislike, just sayin.

Multi million dollar?  Riiiiight.  I'll pretend they are massively successful to back up a non existent argument as if their success has anything to do with the point in question.  Of course, how stupid of me, bands never get production wrong, do they? I mean, it's not like U2, a true multi million dollar band didn't fuck up with Pop, did they?  Oh, no, they got it right!  After all, they are a.....'professional multi million dollar band'.  Some bands never properly master the studio and consequently make records that sound crap.  Husker Du is a perfect example: GREAT albums, lousy production and they did that consistently throughout their career.  It does happen.  Christ, listen to Remnants and tell me the production is good!  It's horribly sterile, stiff and removes any sense of rhythm the band has.  EU is full of moments like that.  Z was better but still sounded slightly parched at times.   

I would also argue this problem is more common these days because you have artists not used to working in proper studios and without decent engineers who actually know what they're doing.  I've seen in first person bands struggle to make records sound like they want them to; it's far from an easy process recording musicians and is dependant on several factors.  Furthermore they only make albums every few years so they lack the fairly consistent experience bands had in the 60's, for example.  MMJ are a live band who tour a LOT.  The studio is not their preferred environment and it shows I think.   That's all I'm saying but judging by the reactions you'd think I'd declared the world was run by shape shifting, lizard aliens who eat babies!

So you're saying that My Morning Jacket doesn't have an overall income of more than 1,000,000 dollars? You're wrong, plain and simple. I'd like to know what your job is, or where you've spent the majority of your adult life, because you knowan awful lot about production and album making in general. I get the feeling that successful people in the music industry don't spend a lot of time arguing of the production style or set list of an album that they have nothing to do with.  ;)
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Well, that was mighty painful.  Not sure what the hell happened, but back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

Likin' this more and more each time, probably listen to it 2-3 times a day.  I might need an intervention.  I understand some of the negative reactions, but free your mind of all bullshit and you'll really enjoy it. 

I've been intriqued by something Jim's been doing vocally since at least early 2010, putting hard emphasis on concluding consonants at the end of verses.  He doesn't do it consistently, but here are some examples, from Victory Dance:

"My good work"  "the meek"  "you should work

I'm also finding the tempo shifts or something happens to the vocal sync with the melody in The Day is Coming, subtle and challenging, keeps you on your toes.  I'm sure I'm not making any sense here.

And First Light will explode on stage!  Much louder, heavier fuzz bass, and a killer light show!!!

And don't forget, Mountain Jammers, Preservation Hall Jazz Band is playing right before Grace Potter and MMJ's sets, so we got some horns at the ready!

Hell yeah!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

The DARK

If TAFKAGB really were Goat Boy, he's cleaned up his posting style. No more multi-paragraph posts with deeply personal attacks on forum members...

Just sayin, could be a lot worse.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

DaFunkyPrecedent

Jesus..I leave for a weekend and come home to this bull shit??

Get over it people - Radiohead and My Morning Jacket both rule.  They make great albums.  King of Limbs is a good album.  Circuital is a good album.  Both albums are gonna be explosive live.  "ohhhh productions style", "ohhhh song order", "ohhhh Jim's voiiiiice" "ohhhhhhh album length" "ohhhhhhh I want the ooooold sound".   I beg you to silence yourself and learn to enjoy it. 

And new people...behave!
God damn those shaky knees.

el_chode

Ladies and gentlemen, this thread has gone critical.

As proof, I submit to you johnYYac, who has re-railed the conversation back to point. A feat long-rumored, but none thought possible. And he did it without the help of the Large Hadron Collider to prove this theoretical possibility.

You might even say this thread is now circuital.
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Quote from: The DARK on May 09, 2011, 11:52 PM
If TAFKAGB really were Goat Boy, he's cleaned up his posting style. No more multi-paragraph posts with deeply personal attacks on forum members...

Just sayin, could be a lot worse.  ;)

The
Ass
Formerly
Known
As
Goat
Boy

touchingmept2

This place just got even gayerrrrr. :P
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

damn birthers, can't you just take my word for it? here:

subject: goat boy
« Sent to: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on: May 09, 2011, 06:51 PM »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »

Delete

arite man,

it's goat boy here....we spoke a bit a few years back before I was banned from the board!

getchoo

Jesuschrist. I came here to read many other views and opinions about the brand new album, but this thread has become messy and shameful.

pawpaw

;D Goat Boy's still worked up 'cause I whupped his ass in the Desert Island Draft! This all makes sense now!

I think he lived in the Netherlands...still might.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Ruckus

Quote from: bbill on May 10, 2011, 09:05 AM
;D Goat Boy's still worked up 'cause I whupped his ass in the Desert Island Draft! This all makes sense now!

;D  That was grandpaboy dude
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

pawpaw

Quote from: Ruckus on May 10, 2011, 09:11 AM
Quote from: bbill on May 10, 2011, 09:05 AM

;D  That was grandpaboy dude

;D Wrong boy! Thanks for setting me straight.  ;D

Grandpaboy, if you read this, I'm sorry. Please forgive me. Please. Forgive me.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Bigsky

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 09, 2011, 11:07 PM
Well, that was mighty painful.  Not sure what the hell happened, but back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

Likin' this more and more each time, probably listen to it 2-3 times a day.  I might need an intervention.  I understand some of the negative reactions, but free your mind of all bullshit and you'll really enjoy it. 

I've been intriqued by something Jim's been doing vocally since at least early 2010, putting hard emphasis on concluding consonants at the end of verses.  He doesn't do it consistently, but here are some examples, from Victory Dance:

"My good work"  "the meek"  "you should work

I'm also finding the tempo shifts or something happens to the vocal sync with the melody in The Day is Coming, subtle and challenging, keeps you on your toes.  I'm sure I'm not making any sense here.

And First Light will explode on stage!  Much louder, heavier fuzz bass, and a killer light show!!!

And don't forget, Mountain Jammers, Preservation Hall Jazz Band is playing right before Grace Potter and MMJ's sets, so we got some horns at the ready!

Hell yeah!

I think I'm enjoying this album so much, because I never have any assumptions when listening to a new album...I am able to listen to it without thinking about previous releases and just enjoy it for being new and different. I have also become accustom to MMJ music sounding very different live. Being brainwashed by MMJ also helps...I'll enjoy anything they do.

The only track that I'm still not loving is "Outta My System"...I wish it was played louder and a bit quicker and not so friendly. 

I am loving how JJ is playing with the K's in VD...he is always bending the English language.

I also notice on a couple of the tracks that Patrick seems to be dragging the beat and slowing things down...just for a couple seconds and he picks it back up...it's very subtle, but it tends to play with me ears.

SplatSplatSplat

As a whole, I think "Circuital" is a pretty solid album, albeit one with a more laid back send off.  To be fair most MMJ albums end with a slow song or two just like this one, yet those previous albums' closing tracks tend the be a bit more epic.  Going out a bit more laid back this time makes sense.  But I still can't shake the feeling...that I want one more good scream to the heavens before the album ends. Oh well.

I honestly do miss the guitars.  They are still there, but they aren't front and center like the older songs.  And that's not a bad thing.  Rather than being hamstrung by having to center each song around them, the band seems to have relegated them to just another one of their weapons.  It's more about creating a good song, than a good "rock" song.  And I can respect that.  But, I seriously wouldn't mind a couple more solos thrown in here and there.   I like rock n roll, what can I say?

Overall production and sound is really tight and really suits the band.  Sounds a bit like Z and I love that album's sound. 

Lastly, I'm not really getting all the non-love for "Outta My System" at all.  I think it's the best song on the album BY FAR.  I don't think it sounds anything like MOF.  Sounds like a newer Gideon to me. And I think it's going to grab a bunch of people by the balls when it's unleashed in concert.

Also, I'm thinking the leaked version is incomplete...seems that maybe some of the mixing/mastering wasn't finished in addition to the incomplete "YWFO".  Can't wait to hear the final version...when I buy it.
You need it.  That's for sure.

el_chode

It Still Moves is their worst album because One in the Same is so slow and boring and not One Big Holiday

e_wind

I don't wanna be "this guy" but I always did think OBH would make a bested album
Opener than mahgeeta
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

DaFunkyPrecedent

No, Z is the worst album because Dondante should have been put on Evil Urges to make it better and then Anytime should have been the closer because that's what they did on tour.  And to fill up space on Z they could have added "chiils" and "where to begin".  God, I should be in this band. 

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on May 10, 2011, 12:02 PM

As a whole, I think "Circuital" is a pretty solid album, albeit one with a more laid back send off.  To be fair most MMJ albums end with a slow song or two just like this one, yet those previous albums' closing tracks tend the be a bit more epic.  Going out a bit more laid back this time makes sense.  But I still can't shake the feeling...that I want one more good scream to the heavens before the album ends. Oh well.

I honestly do miss the guitars.  They are still there, but they aren't front and center like the older songs.  And that's not a bad thing.  Rather than being hamstrung by having to center each song around them, the band seems to have relegated them to just another one of their weapons.  It's more about creating a good song, than a good "rock" song.  And I can respect that.  But, I seriously wouldn't mind a couple more solos thrown in here and there.   I like rock n roll, what can I say?

Overall production and sound is really tight and really suits the band.  Sounds a bit like Z and I love that album's sound. 

Lastly, I'm not really getting all the non-love for "Outta My System" at all.  I think it's the best song on the album BY FAR.  I don't think it sounds anything like MOF.  Sounds like a newer Gideon to me. And I think it's going to grab a bunch of people by the balls when it's unleashed in concert.

Also, I'm thinking the leaked version is incomplete...seems that maybe some of the mixing/mastering wasn't finished in addition to the incomplete "YWFO".  Can't wait to hear the final version...when I buy it.

and you're wrong. Outta My System = MOF

markcel

This thread reminds me of the argument skit on Monty Python:

http://youtu.be/teMlv3ripSM (No idea how to embed the video).