Started by MyJacket18, May 04, 2011, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougMac

el_chode

Circuital is a horrible closer.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tennessee Jed

Quote from: TAFKAGB on May 09, 2011, 11:03 AM
King Of Limbs is fucking shit.  An album of b sides frankly.

I was in the same camp until one day - completely sober, mind you - it just opened up for me. Once I realized that it was my expectations getting in the way of enjoying it all of the sudden I could appreciate it on its own terms. And I can say the same thing for Circuital...once I put aside any hope that it would be their magnum opus I realized that it was a very enjoyable album.

All that said, neither band is likely to top The Bends/OK Computer or ISM/Z.

DougMac

Quote from: Tennessee Jed on May 09, 2011, 12:26 PM
Quote from: TAFKAGB on May 09, 2011, 11:03 AM
King Of Limbs is fucking shit.  An album of b sides frankly.

I was in the same camp until one day - completely sober, mind you - it just opened up for me. Once I realized that it was my expectations getting in the way of enjoying it all of the sudden I could appreciate it on its own terms. And I can say the same thing for Circuital...once I put aside any hope that it would be their magnum opus I realized that it was a very enjoyable album.

All that said, neither band is likely to top The Bends/OK Computer or ISM/Z.

I'll try again one day but not anytime soon to be honest.   I don't think it's even close to In Rainbows.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: TAFKAGB on May 09, 2011, 12:13 PM
Fuck, such corrosive wit! 

If you somehow have the will power to not (yawn) illegally download (I'm sure you've never done anything illegal in your life of course) the album then maybe you should stop opening threads where the simple expression of peoples thoughts bothers you so much.

It really fucking bugs you, eh?   ;D

It's just sarcasm, man. Chill...

You are free to post your silly ideas how MMJ doesn't know how to use a studio and put their songs in proper sequence, and I am free to post sarcastic rebuttals.

Be safe out there   :)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Bigsky

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 09, 2011, 12:56 PM

If you somehow have the will power to not (yawn) illegally download (I'm sure you've never done anything illegal in your life of course) the album then maybe you should stop opening threads where the simple expression of peoples thoughts bothers you so much.

You are free to post your silly ideas how MMJ doesn't know how to use a studio and put their songs in proper sequence, and I am free to post sarcastic rebuttals.

Tracy you need to be careful...these new members are very sensative...

TAFKAGB...that track list order sucks...just like a straw...you must not have finished school

I think the album works wonderfully...I've had it on repeat all weekend and Moving Away into Victory Dance is very nice.

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 09, 2011, 12:56 PM

This is what I'm sayin. It's funny to hear people say that the professional multi million dollar band doesn't know what they're doing. There is a difference between bad and dislike, just sayin.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

DougMac

Quote from: Bigsky on May 09, 2011, 01:27 PM

TAFKAGB...that track list order sucks...just like a straw...you must not have finished school

I think the album works wonderfully...I've had it on repeat all weekend and Moving Away into Victory Dance is very nice.

This is too beautiful.  Judging by your spelling and grammar neither did you my learned friend. It's 'sensitive' and if you're going to use analogies at least make them fucking analogies. 

Oh, and Victory Dance is not preceded by Movin' Away.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: TAFKAGB on May 09, 2011, 06:01 PM
and if you're going to use analogies at least make them fucking analogies. 

It's like a monkey fucking a football.    :-\

e_wind

This is too beautiful.  Judging by your spelling and grammar neither did you my learned friend. It's 'sensitive' and if you're going to use analogies at least make them fucking analogies. 

dude, your an idiot. it's very pleasant around here, so please don't come here to just be an asshole. also, what our friend Big was saying, is that ON REPEAT, VD follows Movin' Away.

DougMac

Quote from: e_wind on May 09, 2011, 03:13 PM

This is what I'm sayin. It's funny to hear people say that the professional multi million dollar band doesn't know what they're doing. There is a difference between bad and dislike, just sayin.

Multi million dollar?  Riiiiight.  I'll pretend they are massively successful to back up a non existent argument as if their success has anything to do with the point in question.  Of course, how stupid of me, bands never get production wrong, do they? I mean, it's not like U2, a true multi million dollar band didn't fuck up with Pop, did they?  Oh, no, they got it right!  After all, they are a.....'professional multi million dollar band'.  Some bands never properly master the studio and consequently make records that sound crap.  Husker Du is a perfect example: GREAT albums, lousy production and they did that consistently throughout their career.  It does happen.  Christ, listen to Remnants and tell me the production is good!  It's horribly sterile, stiff and removes any sense of rhythm the band has.  EU is full of moments like that.  Z was better but still sounded slightly parched at times.   

I would also argue this problem is more common these days because you have artists not used to working in proper studios and without decent engineers who actually know what they're doing.  I've seen in first person bands struggle to make records sound like they want them to; it's far from an easy process recording musicians and is dependant on several factors.  Furthermore they only make albums every few years so they lack the fairly consistent experience bands had in the 60's, for example.  MMJ are a live band who tour a LOT.  The studio is not their preferred environment and it shows I think.   That's all I'm saying but judging by the reactions you'd think I'd declared the world was run by shape shifting, lizard aliens who eat babies!

DougMac

Quote from: e_wind on May 09, 2011, 06:08 PM

dude, your an idiot. it's very pleasant around here, so please don't come here to just be an asshole. also, what our friend Big was saying, is that ON REPEAT, VD follows Movin' Away.

If someone has a dig saying I didn't finish school then proceeds to type a post with spelling mistakes and an analogy that isn't one am I not allowed to take the piss a bit?

Of course, I'M the idiot!  You're the one who's calling people names, mate.

e_wind

Quote from: TAFKAGB on May 09, 2011, 06:11 PM
Quote from: e_wind on May 09, 2011, 06:08 PM

If someone has a dig saying I didn't finish school then proceeds to type a post with spelling mistakes and an analogy that isn't one am I not allowed to take the piss a bit?

Of course, I'M the idiot!  You're the one who's using names.

ha a dig

DougMac

A dig is a mild prod.  Calling me an 'idiot' is different and I haven't done that. 

I don't care if you call me an idiot, by the way, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Tracy 2112

TAFKAGB, your posts read like you should be typing in ALL CAPS.

chill   8)

Running Oz

Quote from: TAFKAGB on May 09, 2011, 06:08 PM

Multi million dollar?  Riiiiight.  I'll pretend they are massively successful to back up a non existent argument as if their success has anything to do with the point in question...The studio is not their preferred environment and it shows I think.   That's all I'm saying but judging by the reactions you'd think I'd declared the world was run by shape shifting, lizard aliens who eat babies!

Wow, walked in the door looking for an argument, got one and then acts offended.  Only on the interweb...not really it happens everywhere these days.  Guess that's why I'm enjoying the overall hopeful vibe I receive with every listen for the 45 minutes or so this new album lasts; it's a brief escape from everything else.  Maybe that's what the band is really after, but I'm sure I'm just a simpleton who doesn't really know what's up.
::)
Is there a Doctor in the house tonight?
Waterfront Park '08, KFC Yum Center '10, The Palace '11

DougMac

I AM chilled!  I am smoking JOINTS.

Here, pass it round but DON'T bogart the fucking thing and, sorry, but it's SIDELINING a bit.

DougMac

Quote from: Running Oz on May 09, 2011, 06:24 PM

Multi million dollar?  Riiiiight.  I'll pretend they are massively successful to back up a non existent argument as if their success has anything to do with the point in question...The studio is not their preferred environment and it shows I think.   That's all I'm saying but judging by the reactions you'd think I'd declared the world was run by shape shifting, lizard aliens who eat babies!

Wow, walked in the door looking for an argument, got one and then acts offended.  Only on the interweb...not really it happens everywhere these days.  Guess that's why I'm enjoying the overall hopeful vibe I receive with every listen for the 45 minutes or so this new album lasts; it's a brief escape from everything else.  Maybe that's what the band is really after, but I'm sure I'm just a simpleton who doesn't really know what's up.
::)

Trust your instincts.

Tracy 2112

I would also argue this problem is more common these days because you have artists not used to working in proper studios and without decent engineers who actually know what they're doing.  I've seen in first person bands struggle to make records sound like they want them to; it's far from an easy process recording musicians and is dependant on several factors.

<Season's Restaurant>
David:       I hate to keep harping on this, but I think that the
        notion of a black album has really cursed us, in a way.
Ian:         Believe me, we're getting some very substantial reports
        of airplay. I don't think we have to worry about that.
TAFKAGB:     You know, it might have been better if the, uh, album had
        been mixed right.
David:       Well I suppose you could cry about that, of course it's
        true. I mean it's true.
TAFKAGB:     It wasn't...it was mixed all wrong, wasn't it?
Nigel:       It was mixed wrong?
TAFKAGB:     Yeah....
Nigel:       Were you there?
TAFKAGB:     ...you couldn't hear the...
Nigel:       How do you know it was mixed wrong?
David:       But she's...she's heard the...she's heard the record.
TAFKAGB:     No, but I've heard the album.
Nigel:       So you're judgement is it was mixed wrong.
TAFKAGB:     You couldn't hear the lyrics on all of it.
David:       You don't agree that you can't hear the vocals?
Nigel:       No, I don't.  I do not agree.  No.
David:       Well I think maybe....
Nigel:       It's interesting that she's bringing it up.
David:       Well she'd like to hear the vocals.
Nigel:       I mean it's like it's me saying, you know, you're using
        the wrong conditioner for your hair. It looks sort of...
        frizzy.
David:       Don't be stupid.
TAFKAGB:     You don't, you don't do heavy metal in dobly, you know,
        I Mean...it's
Nigel:       In what???  In what???
TAFKAGB:     In dobly...
Nigel:       In doubly!?!  What's that?
David:       She means Dolby, alright?  She means Dolby, you know? 
        You know perfectly well what she means.
Nigel:       ...ha ha...
David:       We shan't recover from this one.  We shan't recover from
        this one.

DougMac

:)

let's not start quoting that particular film or we'll be here all night.