My Circuital Review

Started by MyJacket18, May 04, 2011, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie shoot bandit

so i finally caved in as well and downloaded it last night.  and i must say... I fucking love it!  Its not Z, but i also dont think they will ever be able to replicate that album.  But i must say after only one day of listening to it, i think i just might enjoy it more than EU.  I even like the slower songs, especially slow slow tune. It reminds me of my kids.  I also think these songs are going to sound amazing on vinyl...I cant wait for my super duper deluxe package extreme to arrive :thumbsup:!!! 

wakebord

i'll be honest, i haven't read the first 6 pages of this thread.  but this is a good album.  It is MMJ through and through.  MMJ is not just It Still Moves.  That is my favorite album and will be forever. Nothing will ever touch that album for me.  It can't be topped. Dancefloors, One Big Holiday, and Steam Engine are the best 3 songs ever written in my opinion.  I love them more than I love my girlfriend.  Or my parents.  They are the best.  Jim's music means more to me than I can put into words.  But I love this album.  There is so much goodness. MMJ will never do the old stuff that just jams and ebbs and flows like we grew to love.  I think Tommy said it - they can't do albums like that anymore.  Its too hard.  But to hate this album or to be disappointed is a shame.  Because its beautiful.  There's so much to love but you have to love it in a vacuum because ever Jacket album stands on its own.  And they are all great in their own way.  Love the goodness they are giving us time and time again.  I listen to Movin' Away and immediately think its my wedding song.  No other band conveys that to me in an instant moment of time.  I'm drunk and babbling on...but I'm satisfied with what they have given us.  Because while we all wish that each album was written for each one of us, it isn't - it is written for 5 people who come together to make the best music since The Band. 

Robbman

Quote from: Brother Beck on May 07, 2011, 01:42 PM

My one minor disappointment on very early listening is that Movin' Away is probably my least favorite of the tracks, and it's the closer, and it's a slower song, and it comes on the heels of another slower song.  It left me wanting when the album ended, and not in the way where I needed to start the whole thing right over again, but more with the feeling of "oh, that's it."  It's not a bad song, I just found it to be the least compelling, and they have a history of such epic album closers like Dondante.  I read other people listing it as one of their favorites so maybe it will grow on me over time.  It's how they wanted to wrap the album up and they apparently featured it on Storytellers and I trust the guys.       

On this.. I think the order of the tracklisting would maybe improve it. I'm ok with a slow song, but this one is clearly top heavy with two of the 'biggest' songs at positions 1 & 2. I liked whoever said those two songs go together as well. To be fair, I don't know how I'd reorder it yet.. I'd need more time with it.. but I'm quite sure I'd close with Circuital.

I'm sure after several listens I'll settle in to the order, but it just seems oddly ordered, and I think that's why it feels like it's missing something, to me.

DaFunkyPrecedent

I'm downloading now...can't wait to listen.  The great thing is, everybody has always had ill things to say about MMJ.  I mean, the love is always there but the expectations are always so high.  I was guilty of this for EU - i went in with these expectations, and when MMJ didn't live up to them, I was disappointed.  But my expectations were self conceived. It wasn't like Jim James and Co. told me personally "the record is gonna sound like ________".  No, I created these expectations, thus letting my own self down.  This time around, I am putting faith in the band I love, knowing they know how to make great music, knowing they wouldn't put out a record they didn't truly love themselves. 

MMJ reminds me A LOT of Radiohead in this matter - they make the music the want to.  Eventually people will come around to it...I mean come on, how many listens did it take everyone to finally appreciate and love "King Of Limbs"...a lot, I know.

Here we go....bowl is loaded, sun is on my face...LETS DO THIS!
God damn those shaky knees.

DaFunkyPrecedent

hahahahahaha  :D :D :D  You guys are NUTS! This album is wonderful! It rocks,  it rolls, it soothes, it's grooves and it moves.  Bam! My Morning Jacket baby! Doing what they do best, make good fuckin' music that we'll be able to listen to for years to come.  Not only that, the songs are LIVE as all hell - "Outta My System" is gonna blow right through when that shit comes pouring over Red Rocks speaker system.  "Victory Dance" is gonna by a head explosion to watch live..i mean fuck, those guitars in that song are mean.  "First Light"  has some of the coolest bass drops.  Pair it up with "Highly Suspicious" and "Wordless" and you got yourself a boogie woogie good time!

The boys seem so poised on this album. It feels free, light hearted, fun and most importantly, sincere.  They defiantly made an album for themselves and in the end that's what people love.  Look at their catalog now - each album grows into one another - no one similar but each one embodying the beautiful spirit that is My Morning Jacket.

Wow - love it.  Absolutely love this album.  I get them.  They get me. 

wakebord

i can't stop listening to slow slow tune.  the song is absolute beautiful.  its going to sound so great on the porch this summer with some brown water and the sun going down.  this album is fantastic. 

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 08, 2011, 06:58 PM
hahahahahaha  :D :D :D  You guys are NUTS! This album is wonderful! It rocks,  it rolls, it soothes, it's grooves and it moves.  Bam! My Morning Jacket baby! Doing what they do best, make good fuckin' music that we'll be able to listen to for years to come.  Not only that, the songs are LIVE as all hell - "Outta My System" is gonna blow right through when that shit comes pouring over Red Rocks speaker system.  "Victory Dance" is gonna by a head explosion to watch live..i mean fuck, those guitars in that song are mean.  "First Light"  has some of the coolest bass drops.  Pair it up with "Highly Suspicious" and "Wordless" and you got yourself a boogie woogie good time!

The boys seem so poised on this album. It feels free, light hearted, fun and most importantly, sincere.  They defiantly made an album for themselves and in the end that's what people love.  Look at their catalog now - each album grows into one another - no one similar but each one embodying the beautiful spirit that is My Morning Jacket.

Wow - love it.  Absolutely love this album.  I get them.  They get me.

glad somebody knows what up.  well said dafunky. 

"Taste the war paint on my tongue,
as it's drippin with my sweat..."

Bo's intro/main chord he vamps on to Victory Dance reminds me of a "No Quarter" vibe for sure.  shit is EVIL as fuck no doubt.

rob

Oh wow, haven't been here in a long time. Nice album. Doesn't top AD/ISM, but not much could. Will definitely buy a physical copy.

After the first few listens, I...

DISLIKE the title track. Like the beginning, but then it gets messy and too long. Not too crazy about Black Metal, but it's sort of charming me a bit.

LIKE Outta My System, First Light, Slow Slow Tune (dislike the title tho....a bit uninspired?), and You Wanna Freak Out.

LOVE Victory Dance, Movin' Away, Wonderful and The Day Is Coming.

As far as tracklist, I think maybe if Slow Slow Tune and First Light switched places, it might flow better.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

e_wind

Wonderful is such a beautiful song. I try to keep personal life off the internet, but my grandmother just passed tonight and I can't stop listening to this song now. It was expected, but still rough. This song just does it for me. This birds chirping, the lyrics, everything, just make it such a pleasant experience. My grandma is an extremely religious person, and though I'm not, the lyrics at the end of this song will forever remind me of her now, because of the "heaven" innuendo.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

rob

Quote from: e_wind on May 08, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wonderful is such a beautiful song. I try to keep personal life off the internet, but my grandmother just passed tonight and I can't stop listening to this song now. It was expected, but still rough. This song just does it for me. This birds chirping, the lyrics, everything, just make it such a pleasant experience. My grandma is an extremely religious person, and though I'm not, the lyrics at the end of this song will forever remind me of her now, because of the "heaven" innuendo.

That's weird that you say that. I just found out tonight that an ex is moving out of state soon, so Movin' Away has become personal to me.

Condolences on your loss...
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

AlbertNiles

Listen.  I adore this band.  I really do.  I am a music junkie and can safely say that MMJ is my absolute favorite band.  But I'm not being honest with myself if I don't express some disappointment in Circuital.  I find myself acting as an apologist for the band in my internal dialogue when evaluating it.  I WANT to love it so badly that I convince myself that certain lyrics aren't cringe-worthy or that certain songs need to be heard live to realize their full potential.  The truth is that this is a good record by a great band. 

Don't get me wrong, there's some outstanding stuff here.  "Wonderful", which I've been listening to on bootleg from the Newport Folk Fest for years, is such a gorgeous and uplifting tune.  I literally cannot wait to hear "Holdin' On to Black Metal" live.  The crowd will take that to another level.  "Victory Dance", "You Wanna Freak Out" and 'The Day is Coming" are all great songs.  But why didn't "Friends Again" make the cut?  Why have I been blasting that new Jim James and Booker T song "Progress" more than a lot of Circuital?

The truth is, I wanted this to be that undeniable classic album that would bring them the credit and accolades that they deserve.  I don't think Circuital is that record.  But I have all of the faith in the world that their best work is still ahead of them and that's just fine with me.  I look forward to growing with this album and I'm sure I will love it over time, but I thought I should share my thoughts with you guys who love the band as much as I do.

DaFunkyPrecedent

This album is going to make a whole lot of new fans.  Good lord, this is a pop masterpiece.  Kids are gonna eat up "Outta My System".

Robbman

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 08, 2011, 05:58 PM
MMJ reminds me A LOT of Radiohead in this matter - they make the music the want to.  Eventually people will come around to it...I mean come on, how many listens did it take everyone to finally appreciate and love "King Of Limbs"...a lot, I know.

I consider myself a Radiohead fan, and I still do not like that album.

bold992006

Quote from: AlbertNiles on May 09, 2011, 12:20 AM
Listen.  I adore this band.  I really do.  I am a music junkie and can safely say that MMJ is my absolute favorite band.  But I'm not being honest with myself if I don't express some disappointment in Circuital.  I find myself acting as an apologist for the band in my internal dialogue when evaluating it.  I WANT to love it so badly that I convince myself that certain lyrics aren't cringe-worthy or that certain songs need to be heard live to realize their full potential.  The truth is that this is a good record by a great band. 

Don't get me wrong, there's some outstanding stuff here.  "Wonderful", which I've been listening to on bootleg from the Newport Folk Fest for years, is such a gorgeous and uplifting tune.  I literally cannot wait to hear "Holdin' On to Black Metal" live.  The crowd will take that to another level.  "Victory Dance", "You Wanna Freak Out" and 'The Day is Coming" are all great songs.  But why didn't "Friends Again" make the cut?  Why have I been blasting that new Jim James and Booker T song "Progress" more than a lot of Circuital?

The truth is, I wanted this to be that undeniable classic album that would bring them the credit and accolades that they deserve.  I don't think Circuital is that record.  But I have all of the faith in the world that their best work is still ahead of them and that's just fine with me.  I look forward to growing with this album and I'm sure I will love it over time, but I thought I should share my thoughts with you guys who love the band as much as I do.

this is exactly how I feel...and the Booker T song with Jim just makes me wish Circuital sounded like that...best song he will do all year.

DougMac

Quote from: AlbertNiles on May 09, 2011, 12:20 AM

Pretty much.  I understand how MMJ are more of a live band than a studio one but all this 'it'll sound great live!' shit is annoying.  Some of us live in Europe!  All we really have are the records and it's these we will return to, not the live shows. 

James has always been capable of cheesy lyrics but I think there are more on EU (Librarian!  Left foot, right foot!) and Circuital than before.    Personally I don't think MMJ have ever mastered or understood the studio and generally producers, even John leckie, haven't got the best out of them.  A conundrum for sure.

Having said that I edited some of the tracks and sequenced them differently and the album works better that way....

Victory Dance
The Day Is Coming
Wonderful
Outta My System
Slow Slow Tune

Black Metal
First Light
You Wanna Freak Out
Movin' Away
Circuital

A lot more satisfying.  Shame they didn't include Friends Again as I think it's stronger than a couple of tracks there. 

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Robbman on May 09, 2011, 08:13 AM
Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 08, 2011, 05:58 PM

I consider myself a Radiohead fan, and I still do not like that album.

But what is the reason you do not like it?  Because it's Dubstep?  Or because the songs are bad?

DougMac

King Of Limbs is fucking shit.  An album of b sides frankly.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: TAFKAGB on May 09, 2011, 09:49 AM
James has always been capable of cheesy lyrics but I think there are more on EU (Librarian!  Left foot, right foot!) and Circuital than before.    Personally I don't think MMJ have ever mastered or understood the studio and generally producers, even John leckie, haven't got the best out of them.  A conundrum for sure.

Having said that I edited some of the tracks and sequenced them differently and the album works better that way....

Victory Dance
The Day Is Coming
Wonderful
Outta My System
Slow Slow Tune

Black Metal
First Light
You Wanna Freak Out
Movin' Away
Circuital

I couldn't agree more with your observations.

I appreciate you re-working the sequence of the new songs, too. I have yet to hear the album, but as soon as I download it (probably illegally) I'm going to sequence it in the order you suggested.

Thanks, man.  :thumbsup:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

DougMac

Fuck, such corrosive wit! 

If you somehow have the will power to not (yawn) illegally download (I'm sure you've never done anything illegal in your life of course) the album then maybe you should stop opening threads where the simple expression of peoples thoughts bothers you so much.

It really fucking bugs you, eh?   ;D

johnnYYac

Quote from: TAFKAGB on May 09, 2011, 12:13 PM
Fuck, such corrosive wit! 

If you somehow have the will power to not (yawn) illegally download (I'm sure you've never done anything illegal in your life of course) the album then maybe you should stop opening threads where the simple expression of peoples thoughts bothers you so much.

It really fucking bugs you, eh?   ;D

Seriously, though.  What/who is this in reference to?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.