Circuital Reviews

Started by mduda, May 14, 2011, 12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotchishm

Quote from: the_wizzard on May 25, 2011, 03:54 PM
Very nice review in the new issue of Rolling Stone.  They gave it 4 stars out of 5 (which by their standards equals excellent).

Who's on the cover because i got a year free with the Circuital preorder on Amazon (i've gotten Dylan, Adele, and Steven Tyler covers).  Is it in any of those?  I haven't read them bc they all three came on the same day.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

the_wizzard

Quote from: kotchishm on May 25, 2011, 04:13 PM
Very nice review in the new issue of Rolling Stone.  They gave it 4 stars out of 5 (which by their standards equals excellent).

Who's on the cover because i got a year free with the Circuital preorder on Amazon (i've gotten Dylan, Adele, and Steven Tyler covers).  Is it in any of those?  I haven't read them bc they all three came on the same day.

Lady Gaga I believe. To be honest, my hubs opened it up to the review last night as I was sore from a circuit class I took last night and was being uber lazy on the couch.  But she is the main article so I assume she is on the cover.  You should get it any day now....
The Dylan issue was the last issue before this new one with the review.

kotchishm

Quote from: the_wizzard on May 25, 2011, 04:34 PM
Quote from: kotchishm on May 25, 2011, 04:13 PM

Lady Gaga I believe. To be honest, my hubs opened it up to the review last night as I was sore from a circuit class I took last night and was being uber lazy on the couch.  But she is the main article so I assume she is on the cover.  You should get it any day now....
The Dylan issue was the last issue before this new one with the review.

Ah gross I'll have to rip the cover off.  Thanks for the info!
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Tieoptional

The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

hiphopopotamus

Quote from: kotchishm on May 25, 2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.theweekender.com/music/ALBUM_REVIEW__Another_magnetic__lsquo_Morning_rsquo__05-24-2011.html

5 out of 5 W's whatever the hell those are

This review was so weak!  The writer just posted some lyrics and described the sounds of the instruments used for each song.  Did she crank out this review in 10min?  This could be titled "Music Reviewing for Dummies"

Dillsnufus

Quote from: hiphopopotamus on May 26, 2011, 10:43 PM
Quote from: kotchishm on May 25, 2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.theweekender.com/music/ALBUM_REVIEW__Another_magnetic__lsquo_Morning_rsquo__05-24-2011.html

5 out of 5 W's whatever the hell those are

This review was so weak!  The writer just posted some lyrics and described the sounds of the instruments used for each song.  Did she crank out this review in 10min?  This could be titled "Music Reviewing for Dummies"

great name! love that show
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

hiphopopotamus

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Running Oz

Quote from: Dillsnufus on May 25, 2011, 02:52 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/arts/music/my-morning-jacket-has-homecoming-with-circuital.html?_r=1

That New York Times article gives a great feel of both the band and Louisville.  The Podcast link on the article page has about 15 minutes devoted to Circuital with some interviews with the band that's worth listening to.  The BBC "gets" it as well all the way across the pond.
Is there a Doctor in the house tonight?
Waterfront Park '08, KFC Yum Center '10, The Palace '11

kotchishm

Running Oz

Quote from: kotchishm on May 27, 2011, 05:12 PM
Chicago Sun Times reviewer not a fan

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/5596717-421/the-playlist-whats-in-the-earbuds-this-week.html

Well not everyone can write about killing yet another girlfriend and driving her body around in the trunk of Nova waiting for someone to answer the phone like Tweety's Wilco whose rear end the reviewer has his nose stuck way up in  :o...and I'm a Wilco fan by the way looking forward to their album release later this year.  Plus if the dude really knew Eddie Vedder's deal he'd know the ukulele trend started with Vedder years ago not the other way around.
Is there a Doctor in the house tonight?
Waterfront Park '08, KFC Yum Center '10, The Palace '11

The DARK

Quote from: kotchishm on May 27, 2011, 05:12 PM
Chicago Sun Times reviewer not a fan

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/5596717-421/the-playlist-whats-in-the-earbuds-this-week.html

"Harrumph!" Hilarious.

I also love how he calls Wonderful (The Way I Feel) a sappy love ballad. Why do you even try to pretend you're listening to the lyrics if you're going to misread a song that badly? His attempt at Victory Dance is pretty hilarious as well.

And who the hell is The American Breed? More importantly, what percentage of readers will understand his obscure 60's one-hit-wonder putdown, other than Chicago hipsters? There's something to be said for being proud of your city, but come on now.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

Jellyfish

I really love the album and how they made it sound different without getting too far out there like they did with a few of the songs on EU.The only song I am having issues with is Outta My System.Not too crazy about it but maybe it will grow on me.The Victory Dance>Circuital opener is gonna be just sick in concert.The Day is Coming really gets inside your head.Really digging this album much more than I did EU.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Dillsnufus

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/201106/my-morning-jacket-jim-james-interview

"My Morning Jacket has been the most powerful live rock 'n' roll outfit for a while now, and the band's best record was the two-disc concert album Okonokos.... Until now."

>Geez
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

youreveningcoat

Quote from: hiphopopotamus on May 26, 2011, 11:25 PM
they call me the hiphopopotumus . . . my lyrics are bottomless

Flight of the Conchords Ep 3 Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros

Yeeehaaaaw FITC Are the most famous people to come out of Nee Zealand! Kiwi represent! :P
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Ruckus

Quote from: Dillsnufus on May 28, 2011, 02:08 AM
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/201106/my-morning-jacket-jim-james-interview

"My Morning Jacket has been the most powerful live rock 'n' roll outfit for a while now, and the band's best record was the two-disc concert album Okonokos.... Until now."

>Geez
Finally a reviewer that smelled out the Ramones from Outta My System.  Everyone I talked to and every review was Beach Boys this, Beach Boys that when everything from the melody, chord changes and particularly Jim's voice screams the Ramones.  I love the beat and sounds that tickle through that song but someone help me...those lyrics :embarassed:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

patrickbateman

I find it annoying that several reviewers have attributed the lyrics of Victory Dance to what may be Jim's feelings of Evil Urges' reception. I think it's pretty unbelievable. Just because it alienated some fans and critics doesn't mean he isn't proud of the hard work he put into what I consider one of my favorite albums.