New CD on NPR

Started by JohnN, May 22, 2011, 11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Say it isnt so!!

All you weeklings can cave..Im holdin out til the 31st.

woohooo!!!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

TGMC421

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 23, 2011, 12:05 AM
Say it isnt so!!

woohooo!!!!

I'm with you!  Bring on the vinyl!

mcredder

Uhhhh the end of You Wanna Freak out is ridiculously awesome. Its been slowly killing me every time it cuts out early in the leak.

The DARK

Caved and heard most of the songs before, but intentionally never in the right order. On The Day Is Coming now... Victory Dance and Circuital are one of the best 1-2 punches I've ever heard to start an album.
In another time, in another place, in another face

The DARK

Wonderful is one of those songs that just worms its way into your soul... the lyrics may seem obvious at first, but it just gets better with every listen.

First Light sounds awesome in context following up Holdin On To Black Metal. Makes good on the "Let's rock" at the end of it! You Wanna Freak Out is pretty great as well. Love the guitar breakdown... I can see this turning into something awesome live... this whole album could, really. Wish it went on longer.

The DARK

Ah. So a great album indeed! Initial impressions:

-Victory Dance is maybe the best opener they've ever come up with, and yes, that's accounting for At Dawn, Mahgeetah, and Wordless Chorus. This and Circuital are the Smokin from Shootin-> Touch Me Pt 2 of the record.

-These songs have so much room to grow live. Victory Dance, First Light, You Wanna Freak Out, Slow Slow Tune... they all have space to fill out and become live favorites.

-Movin' Away is really only the second true piano ballad they've ever done, after Knot Comes Loose. It may feel like an anticlimax, but it's just a gorgeous number. I wonder how much they'll play it live... it seems like the band likes it, but they never gave Knot Comes Loose much time in the setlist.

-They don't experiment very much here, but when they do, it's a lot more consistently rewarding than last time out.

-The lyrics are a mix of the mundane and epic. Out of My System and Holdin' On to Black Metal are mostly simple, upbeat numbers about having a crazy youth, while Victory Dance has some crazy, out of this world lyrics (it's hard to think of a more epic line than "Taste the warpaint on my tongue, as it's dripping with my sweat).

-On Evil Urges, the big theme seemed to be what makes us human vs a machine; here, it's what we outgrow vs what stays with us, and reconciling them both. Holdin on to Black Metal is about indulgence in a phase that ostensibly should've been given up long ago, while Slow Slow Tune is written as a musical portrait dedicated to future listeners. Meanwhile Wonderful has lyrics about both never growing older in your mind and going somewhere entirely new, and Movin' Away feels like the final reconciliation of the conflict. The sound is a mix of the past and the future as well; slide and acoustic guitars regularly share songs with omnichords and keyboards.

-It feels like less of an "epic" experience than Evil Urges and Z. Within those two, there were many peaks, valleys, and a grand finale to both; Circuital mostly goes with the flow, and ends pretty quietly, though still strongly. It's more of an album to cuddle up with on the back porch; it may never end up being your absolute favorite, but it might be the one you come back to most. It's one you can call home.

Awesome. I haven't even heard it for the second time and it's already growing on me.  ;) Hope you enjoyed my assessment!

jahabe08

Cant wait to hear live.... Already preordered.... Slow tune is currently playing.... Last year they played at Merriweather in May... I wish they were playing there earlier this year... August seems so far away...

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: The DARK on May 23, 2011, 02:25 AM
Ah. So a great album indeed! Initial impressions:

-Victory Dance is maybe the best opener they've ever come up with, and yes, that's accounting for At Dawn, Mahgeetah, and Wordless Chorus. This and Circuital are the Smokin from Shootin-> Touch Me Pt 2 of the record.

-These songs have so much room to grow live. Victory Dance, First Light, You Wanna Freak Out, Slow Slow Tune... they all have space to fill out and become live favorites.

-Movin' Away is really only the second true piano ballad they've ever done, after Knot Comes Loose. It may feel like an anticlimax, but it's just a gorgeous number. I wonder how much they'll play it live... it seems like the band likes it, but they never gave Knot Comes Loose much time in the setlist.

-They don't experiment very much here, but when they do, it's a lot more consistently rewarding than last time out.

-The lyrics are a mix of the mundane and epic. Out of My System and Holdin' On to Black Metal are mostly simple, upbeat numbers about having a crazy youth, while Victory Dance has some crazy, out of this world lyrics (it's hard to think of a more epic line than "Taste the warpaint on my tongue, as it's dripping with my sweat).

-On Evil Urges, the big theme seemed to be what makes us human vs a machine; here, it's what we outgrow vs what stays with us, and reconciling them both. Holdin on to Black Metal is about indulgence in a phase that ostensibly should've been given up long ago, while Slow Slow Tune is written as a musical portrait dedicated to future listeners. Meanwhile Wonderful has lyrics about both never growing older in your mind and going somewhere entirely new, and Movin' Away feels like the final reconciliation of the conflict. The sound is a mix of the past and the future as well; slide and acoustic guitars regularly share songs with omnichords and keyboards.

-It feels like less of an "epic" experience than Evil Urges and Z. Within those two, there were many peaks, valleys, and a grand finale to both; Circuital mostly goes with the flow, and ends pretty quietly, though still strongly. It's more of an album to cuddle up with on the back porch; it may never end up being your absolute favorite, but it might be the one you come back to most. It's one you can call home.

Awesome. I haven't even heard it for the second time and it's already growing on me.  ;) Hope you enjoyed my assessment!

I did! Thanks.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ooga

It says a couple of times that there are 11 songs, but i only see 10... maybe friends again?

Running Oz

That fuzzy guitar work and ending to "You Wanna Freak Out" that us weaklings have been missing for the past two weeks just confirms that this album has a huge amount of staying power.   :D  Trolls, haters, purists say what you will but the whole thing gets in your insides and then works it's way though until you're marinated from top to bottom and front to back.

:dankk2: My Morning Jacket!!
Is there a Doctor in the house tonight?
Waterfront Park '08, KFC Yum Center '10, The Palace '11

iLikeBeer

Say it isnt so!!

woohooo!!!!

Sorry, but this weakling has been enjoying the hell out of this album for the last 2 weeks!   :-*   :beer:

My Monkey Friend

did you guys notice any pedal steel on the album?

if the box set delivery is late as suggested on the web site, will we not have access to the digital download on the 31st? i must have something on tuesday, the holding out is killing me.

johnnYYac

Quote from: My Monkey Friend on May 23, 2011, 09:41 AM
did you guys notice any pedal steel on the album?

if the box set delivery is late as suggested on the web site, will we not have access to the digital download on the 31st? i must have something on tuesday, the holding out is killing me.
Digital download will be available on the day of release.  Definitely some pedal steel on this'n.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ericm

Quote from: iLikeBeer on May 23, 2011, 09:37 AM
Say it isnt so!!

woohooo!!!!

Sorry, but this weakling has been enjoying the hell out of this album for the last 2 weeks!   :-*   :beer:

Same here. ;)  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

Quote from: JohnN on May 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
You can listen to the new Cd at
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/22/136462209/first-listen-my-morning-jacket-circuital#playlist

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

I'm freakin on finally being able to hear all of  "You Wanna Freak Out". Lovin it and can't f'ing wait to freak when I see it at a show. ;)

I think this tune is going to be killer live.
"Where's Jim going?"

headhunter

Quote from: ericm on May 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on May 23, 2011, 09:37 AM
Say it isnt so!!

woohooo!!!!

Same here. ;)  :beer:

Here's to the weakling in many of us!   :thumbsup:   I for one am happy to have caved.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

vwxg14a

Quickie Review.

The two songs that stick out to me are Black Metal and Moving Away.  The reason is both remind me of the weakest songs on Evil Urges (Highly Suspicious) and Z (Into The Woods), but they finally figured out what they were trying to with those songs in the first place and hit it out of the park.

It is one of the things I love about the boys, always improving on ideas they had and breaking new ground. 

And Victory Dance I concur is a great opener and I think it will be great in concert.

Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

fortbethel

The band comes through. The Jacket's fanbase well that's another story. An ugly one at that.

BH

Stop what you are doing everyone!   Fortbethel has something very important to say! 
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.